Prolonged fasting, the longer, the better

(Janelle) #42

Thanks. I’m 50. I gained most of my extra weight (80lbs - now about 60) in the last few years (married life, travel, aging etc.). I’m a slow loser but I just can’t/won’t get extreme. That’s what makes the world go around. I’m glad I have Dr. Westman, Dr. McDaniels (my own doctor) and others of that vein to help me do this in a sane and healthy (for my mind and body) way. Note - I’m not opposed to fasting - just extreme fasting.

(bulkbiker) #43

I’m just saying it like it is… Personally I wouldn’t fast for longer than 7 days … but each to their own. I still think my explanation is correct though. You don’t have ketones to waste as your body will be using them while you are fasting so no spillage in the urine.

I still think this is incredibly ill-advised. You’re not training your body to adapt to a better diet that you can keep to long-term, you’re just punishing it by prolonged fasts so you can get quick results. And long-term is all that matters. I feel eventually you will relapse because you have followed advice that puts emphasis on the wrong things. But obviously we cannot stop you. You do you.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #45

Cruelty is cruelty. And a lot of people seem to enjoy being cruel “for the person’s own good.” The fact that he enjoys it is no reason for anyone else to play along. Of course, I am neither a sadist nor a masochist, so I may simply lack the correct perspective.

Requires??? :exploding_head:

(Kristen Ann) #47

I’ve watched some of Cole Robinson’s videos in the past and never felt like they were fat shaming or cult-like. Maybe I haven’t been exposed to enough of the videos to see the fat shaming or maybe the OP’s opinion is harsher than mine.

I’ve found some of his bluntness to be helpful in fighting the “lizard brain” as @RobC calls it. For instance “If you are more than 20 lbs over weight, you do not need to eat for XX amount of time.” XX = whatever goal I’m aiming for.

(Robert C) #48

Cruelty is cruelty if the person accepts the message as cruel - ignoring the content because of the style.
Cruelty is honesty if the person accepts the message and turns their life around because no one ever was so honest before (like when doctors say “eat less and exercise more” works, knowing those patients come back year after year bigger).

Of course, Cole is an “acquired taste” but, YouTube is completely voluntary.

Here’s the thing tho, in this situation - I promise you this isn’t the first time overweight people have been called “fatty” by someone before. Everyone always thinks they’re the first to comment on someone’s weight, that they’re going to be the Savior of the Fatty Pig Fatty who was just too ignorant to see how fat they were getting, until the Chosen One luckily came upon them to shame them into losing weight.

It’s been proven over and over again that most people react better to positive reinforcement than negative. People who believe in Tough Love remind me of those who watch “Full Metal Jacket,” look at the Drill Sergeant Nasty and think “Yeah, he’s a good guy.”

(Robert C) #50

Ha - I was working on a drill instructor analogy for this topic.

A good drill instructor will not sugarcoat anything while telling you how not to die.
Mistakes get people killed.

Dr. Fung (who I greatly respect) would not be a good drill instructor - conversational explanations like “do not be where the bombs are, do not be where the bullets are” might work for some people but, a louder and rougher and more direct message to put great fear in the soul and motivate to have a better chance of survival.

But this is not a situation that calls for that sort of behavior. People don’t need “tough love” in order to lose weight. They need understanding and someone willing to give a helping hand. They do not deserve abuse for being overweight, most of them are already on the receiving end of it, anyways. They’ve been victim-blamed by pretty much everyone, why do they need more on top of it from people who allegedly are just looking out for their best interests? Why use cruelty where a kinder voice can achieve a greater outcome?

(Amy Latorres Rios) #52

yes, it is a requirement for all members

(Janelle) #53

That would be a big old nope (for many reasons, not the least of which is that your nearly naked photos are now on the Internet).

Have you noticed that on this forum, people are generally very smart and reasonable? If you get strong questions, pushback or even advice, it’s likely a reaction to something that is pretty unreasonable.

(PJ) #54

Some people really do. Kind gentle helpfulness is awesome for some, but usually makes me somewhere between unmotivated and depressed. It can seem more patronizing or the soft prejudice of low-expectations to some. Someone whose schtick (that’s what it is you know) is yelling at you to be a hard-ass and power through it, assumes that you have it in you to be that tough guy and succeed. For some people, that tough-love is the one thing that finally moves them. And we’re talking about people 100-300# overweight in the case of the snake diet dude. Who I think is totally hilarious – and I totally get why he’s offensive (on purpose as part of the schtick to some degree) – but there’s a whole % of population that really works for.

To each their own. :slight_smile: I’m glad the world has such a variety of options. Thirty years ago, outside Atkins, the public had nobody – and no web to make it all so accessible and in most cases free!

As a note (based on other comments), I think there’s something to be said for the fact that just because a given way of going about weight loss is not “a sustainable eating plan” doesn’t necessarily make it a bad idea if someone really needs to lose weight. It just means they ALSO will need to add an eating plan. Fasting after all is the opposite of an eating plan, it’s a not-eating plan. :slight_smile: