Prolonged fasting, the longer, the better

(Robert C) #22

I am not so sure about this - it clicked with me - and I am overweight but wish I was not.

It helped me take a hard look at my mortality.

Being overweight is similar to other high risk activities.

People want to believe they will be part of the very small percentage of people that can be large but live long.

While going back and forth on that, they have the heart attack and the issue is settled.

Would the statement “You are driving on the freeway at 120 miles per hour and should slow down.” be “speed shaming” and therefore rejected by the PC culture?

I do not want to provoke a negative reaction and do not know your situation’s details but, it might not be a good idea to allow a PC culture backlash (whether against “fat shaming” or “speed shaming”) to take your eyes off of the prize (the root cause you might want to fix).

(Robert C) #23

The “right way” has pretty much failed, the handholding has failed, maybe, not sure.

We (most of us overweight people in the 50s / 60s) are playing with fire.

If he doesn’t click or the words are too toxic - skip but, if you want some pretty blue sky truth - there is some to be had.

There is some obvious conspiracy theory junk to be skipped but, when it comes to fasting - and fasting for performance or abs - he can really help.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #24

Look, I understand everyone responds differently to words. Some folks do better with hard truths, no sugar coating. Others can’t handle it. You’re right, if a doc handles clients in a way they don’t like, they can go away from him. However, there aren’t many choices for people and the point about docs hand holding and still seeing people fail misses the point that they were on the wrong track in the first place, trying stuff that was bound to fail anyway (SAD, CICO, eat less, exercise more). When these people did what they were told and then were told they failed because they weren’t strong enough to “not eat” altogether it set them up for a fear of future failures.

It’s a lot easier to help a person who’s mind you’ve opened to trying than one who is shut down because they’ve given up and been convinced they’re the failure. Again, people respond differently but it seems counterproductive to shame an already ashamed person into action.

(Robert C) #25

I think there is no way to tell - people did what they were asked to do and still failed.

Will a doctor lose a patient that s/he is too honest with?

Will a doctor watch a patient s/he did not lose die because s/he was not honest?

My point is that the honesty might be more important than the messenger.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #26

I’m a big fan of honesty. I love honesty. Where does it say mean and honest go hand in hand?

I mean, jeez, if I had to choose between a crappily delivered honest message or a sweet dishonest message, I’d choose the former but do I?

Well said, Marie. :slight_smile: … It’s just when he comes on screen with these rude comments right off the bat, (my) first thoughts were ‘This guys is a total Jerk’ - And yep, first impressions do mean a lot, even though some may argue this, it’s sometimes hard to get passed this from that point.

Look, if this guy has even helped one person to change for the better, that’s really fantastic. But for me, I couldn’t stomach watching him after the first couple minutes. He immediately reminded me of a bully, or someone who likes making others feel like [spoiler]shit[/spoiler]. (Something I can’t stand) … So, he may indeed be a person who really wants to help others, and if so, he needs to rethink his approach. - Hard love is one thing, but it didn’t come across this way to me. It came across as he enjoyed it. (JMHO)

(Jenny) #28

love this. very true.

(Robert C) #29

Agreed here.

Cole gets himself in lots of off-topic things that I am just not on-board with outside of fasting and fitness.

Definitely a “separate the wheat from the chaff” thing (which in keto land is pointless - wanting neither).

(Doug) #30

We all have to find our way, Amy. :slightly_smiling_face:

You are surely nicely fat-adapted. I like that feeling of completely empty, it brings moments of clarity and I become more effective and efficient in other aspects of my life. --Oh yes, that speaks to me.

Cole Robinson may be like a Marine Corps drill sergeant, but I think his approach has its place, even if it’s just getting a person to quit kidding themselves.

Fasting ‘until the weight goal is achieved’ can be tough - as we get lower and lower in our fat percentage, the body gets more and more concerned about starvation. I’m sure you already know that, and looks like you’ve a nice steady hand on your own tiller.

Ketone strips used on urine are notoriously unreliable, and as others have commented - your body is using them for fuel. If they’re not ‘coming out,’ still no worries - you’re just running efficiently. We don’t pee out glucose if we’re eating a lot of carbohydrates, not unless something’s wrong - I know this is not a perfect comparison since some ketones showing up there isn’t necessarily a bad thing - but if you haven’t eaten for almost 6 days then it’s a given you’re running on fat. :sunglasses:

Fasting is different for us, as individuals. Some people crank out 30 or 40 days, just water, not even any salt…

Always gotta admire That One Person who thinks they’re the first one to enlighten fat people by telling them they’re fat. And doing it in the meanest ways imaginable? What a prize. Every overweight person knows they’re overweight. It’s one of those subjects everyone feels entitled to coach them about. This guy isn’t dishing out “tough love” to “softies” who just “don’t want to hear it.” Turns out treating weight gain as a massive character failing, one that needs to be corrected in the quickest amount of time (whether it’s calorie-restriction or extreme fasting) so people don’t have to deal with your unsightly fatness, isn’t the way to get people onboard with losing weight.

Any dealing with weight-loss that treats the victim of decades of bad nutrition advice like they’re the ones to blame, isn’t just fat-shaming, it’s morally reprehensible. Most overweight people would like to lose weight. Most of them don’t know how. You’ll get farther with the Gary Taubes approach with them than you ever will with this joker.

Also anyone who fat-shames children is garbage lol.

(Tom Seest) #32

I have about as much respect for the fat shamers as I do the people that shame people for eating fat…I have no time for either.

(Janelle) #33

So much this.

BTW - I had a disagreement with my doctor over keto. She says the science isn’t proven (she’s the one who referred me to the doc who has me ON keto). She was honest - gave me her opinion. Is she right? Doubt it. I didn’t love the delivery. I’ll probably be looking for a new doc. She lost a customer/patient.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #34

I’ll give a normally kind person a couple of chances (we all have crap days) but when people are just exceptionally mean I don’t need that in my life.

(Cindy) #35

Meth would give you better weight loss results. Crappy skin, but good weight loss.

(Carl Keller) #36

No offense but it sounds like a cult.

(Amy Latorres Rios) #37

“My poor starved body”, thanks ; )
I am currently weighing 184lbs and I am 5’7. I’ve got about 40lbs of fat on this body that it can feed off of. Currently my BMI is at around 29 and I’m classified as obese. But true, maybe my body is holding on to ketones. Thanks for your reply.

(Amy Latorres Rios) #38

It really isnt sustainable, it simply is the means to an end. I am about to be 50 and I’ve been carrying 100+ extra pounds on this body ft. Or most of my life. The snake diet (prolonged fasting) will help me to get down to my lowest weight, then I will follow a sustainable eating/life plan such as intermittent fasting with keto on my refeed. Plenty of people are having life changing results. I got through the weekend, even cooked several meals for my family and ate, nothing…

(Amy Latorres Rios) #39

I’m not gonna lie, when I first watched a Cole video on youtube, I was pretty insulted and become very angry" How dare he??"
then I began to Chat with some of the people he has" coached", their lives’ changed, forever, check out Sasha Cecilia on Facebook, inspiration.
I couldn’t stop watching. I joined the group, which By the way, requires you to post almost naked, full body, accountability photos. Mine are up there, everything hanging out, and Im there with hundreds of thousands of others.

(Amy Latorres Rios) #40

yes he starts every video by shouting “Hey Fatty!!!”
It seems like a very poor coaching strategy, but the results are as insane as his videos.

(Amy Latorres Rios) #41

I thought the same thing! I was like, why do all these people swear by this evil, looney bird??? Once you are the results he’s yielded for so many, his strategy is undeniably one that works.
I dont feel like a member of a cult, I actually no longer watch his crazy videos, not unless I feel myself backsliding. He gets nothing from this, charges nothing, it’s just plain, old advice, given in a rough manner. Since I started prolonged fasting, I have consistently remained below 200’s which was were I have lived for the last 30 years…