Prolonged fasting, the longer, the better

(Amy Latorres Rios) #1

Glad to have found this group, I am a member of this Facebook, fasting “support group” called “Snake Diet Motivation”. The founder, Cole Robinson, basically fat shames peopl, even children all day. I drank the juice, literally and have engaged in several prolonged fasts within the last 18 months. Cole basically tells you that you should fast (salt water) until you are lean. Some very successful fasters have gone on for over 60 days and, of course, have achieved dramatic results (over 100lb loss). I like that feeling of completely empty, it brings moments of clarity and I become more effective and efficient in other aspects of my life. Currently I’m on day 7 of a prolonged fast and I’m feeling good. I no longer have hunger pangs but I do want to eat. I had 30lbs to lose, so I’m trying to push until I’ve achieved my goal. Then I’m going Keto. So far, I’ve lost 8lbs but I know it’s all water, cant wait till my body starts burning fat. I do have one question: given that I have not consumed one ounce of food for a full week, why am I not showing any trace of KETONES in my strips???

(bulkbiker) #2

Probably because your poor starved body is using them all to keep you alive rather than wasting them in your wee?

(Janelle) #3

How is that supposed to be sustainable?

(Robert C) #4

I think you are supposed to get down near your goal weight and then make refeeds happen more often until you are missing enough meals to keep your weight stable where you want it.

(less is more, more or less) #5

What a name. You can’t judge a group by it’s name, but, here, I’ll make an exception.

Yea, enough with the shaming.

To say this is unhealthy advice might be my most understated comment today. Like @CatGirl asks; “How is that sustainable?”

While this is a valid cause-and-effect relationship, it says little about humanity, sustainability, or health. You can also do chemo for weight-loss. Weight-loss, alone, is a poor measure.

So I’ve heard. I do intermittent fasting, such as on Ash Wednesdays and every Friday, but I’d be lying if I said I enjoy it.

I commend thee to Megan Ramos on the Diet Doctor podcast, where she talks about fasting and how it has been wonderful for her. She also warns extended fasting, particularly if its only for "extension’s sake.” More is not always better, there is a sweet spot.

I believe she’s a regular on Dr. Fung’s podcast as well.

I have never turned those strips in my 19 months of low-carb. I’m guessing it’s my active exercise regimen. Recall those are the ketones you are peeing out of your body are extra and isn’t used to convey energy. It’s not a reliable indicator of whether you’re metabolizing your fat stores.

Throw the damn strips out, and eat some delicious and fatty meat.

(Jenny) #6

another great video :slight_smile: (I’m sorry I didnt mean to post this is 2 different threads and I’m not sure how to delete).

(Robert C) #8

Yes!

My recent bloodwork (to my shock and horror) shows a severe crack cocaine deficiency. :sunglasses:

(Empress of the Unexpected) #9

I can’t believe I am reading this…

Oh, believe me, if you guys haven’t seen this ‘tool’ in action, you’re not missing anything. … Ignorant, Annoying and downright Idiotic. I happened to have clicked on a link a while back and found one. But found it completely unwatchable. And I will give most a shot. - I think his rude and fat shaming he does is something he either finds amusing, or thinks is his ‘Calling Card’. Starts his vids ‘Hey Fatty’ or similar.

(less is more, more or less) #11

There is no shame in that, especially the “one cheek sneak” variety.

(Robert C) #12

Cole Robinson is an acquired taste but, really, aside from some slight stylistic differences :grinning: - he has some overlap with Dr. Jason Fung (he’s not as smart as Dr. Fung but, if you watch some of his Q&A - you’d discover he is far from ignorant).

Both are successfully fasting down people with very large amounts of weight to lose.
Both are okay with a bunch of 48s and 72s strung together to get a longer fast’s effects.
Both are against the medical systems that brought us here.
Both are taking a stance on fasting and being hit financially for it (Dr. Fung said he could make more money just dealing with kidneys, Cole claims to be broke or in debt and lives on donations).
Both are very good about answering questions on fasting.

Also, I am not sure why it would be called “fat shaming” versus “truth” - which is what Cole is selling (he’s pretty much dedicating his life to this right now - why would he “fat shame” all of his clients vs. being honest?).

Some people can accept the message “You are 150 pounds overweight, suffer from depression and will have a greatly shortened lifespan but - that’s okay because your quality of life is so low it won’t matter much”.

Other’s do not want that level of honesty and would prefer to listen to their doctor and just take baby steps toward a solution (and die trying).

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #13

This is terrifying to me. It’s the old it’s-better-to-be-sick-or-dead-than-to-be-fat mentality that you can find on the pro-ana sites, where being fat is a character flaw and being thin is a matter of will power and resolve, where only the strongest succeed and if you aren’t losing you’re failing.

Please stay away from this toxic person and love your body for carrying you through this life and for what it is right now. Be kind to it while you work to change it.

(Robert C) #14

I recommend you research Cole if you really care about this.
We are talking about very obese people 1, 2 or 3 hundred pounds of excess fat that is causing feet to be chopped off, kidneys to fail etc. (not just vanity weight).
Both Cole and Dr. Fung attack this problem with heavy duty fasting regimes.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #15

I’m responding to the OP’s description of the site she came from not fasting in general. She claims they are fat shaming folks. I can’t get behind this.

(Robert C) #16

That’s her interpretation of his style.
He’s really just promising the truth - always the truth (which gets pretty ugly sometimes).

Try him out - at least for a laugh - especially a YouTube Q&A session.
If he catches your eye - it is like a bad car accident, you know you should look away but, cannot.

Nice catch! :smile: That’s surely a type-O :slight_smile: … But I have corrected it!

(Robert C) #18

That’s okay - you cannot correct the typo in the reply - preserved forever!

(Janelle) #19

Because you stand a better chance of helping someone and your own cause if you’re not an offensive ass right out of the gate. Most people who are fat, myself included, know that we’re fat. Someone making me feel bad about myself is someone I avoid like the plague. It’s a fact that many doctors will not talk to their patients about weight loss because they risk the patient shunning all medical advice thereafter. It’s true human nature to avoid the things that make us most uncomfortable/upset/embarrassed/angry. There’s also a much much better way to get the point across.

Meant ‘Ignorant’, as to his attitude toward others, not his knowledge base, per se. … There is a right way to get the message across, and this is not one of them. (Just my honest opinion of course)

That is indeed the bad part! … Fellow posters too damn fast! :smile: … But I was moving my computer, so was off line too long. :slight_smile: