Problems with constipation

(Judith D'agostino Gina Rossi) #1

I have been on Keto for about 6 months and I am very happy with it. However, I am still constipated as I was before going on Keto. For awhile I had diarrhea and then it got back to normal. I want to stay healthy and am concerned with my gut and not doing the right things. I have now introduced Keto friendly muffins where I add some phylum husk powder and also made a tasty Chia pudding. It helped for two days and now I am back. I am thinking I may need more vegetables. I am so full most of the time and I am at 5 to 6% of carb intake each day from my calories. I stick pretty close to 75% fat, 20% protein and 5% carbs. I am not getting my carbs from raw vegetables and maybe that is the problem. Does anyone out there have some wisdom for me?

(T Bo) #2

Maybe try 1/2 teaspoon of milk of magnesia before bed This is what my doctor advised me to do and it has worked ever since.

(Frank) #3

Is it a uncomfortable constipation or are you just concerned that you arenā€™t having bms every day? If it is the latter donā€™t sweat it. I have a ā€œpoopā€ day about every 3 or 4 days with no discomfort on my no poop days.

(Judith D'agostino Gina Rossi) #4

Uncomfortable to answer your question. I have hemorrhoids which doesnā€™t help matters.

(Frank) #5

Yikes. Not fun. Been there too. Gotta love this forum huh? I will say this. When I have reduced my veggies and upped my protein I experienced much less diarrhea and more pleasant bms if thatā€™s possiblešŸ˜‰

(Candy Lind) #6

I, too, have constipation issues, but I have always had them, like you. Itā€™s not a keto thing.

Me personally, I have increased my magnesium intake (thatā€™s whatā€™s in milk of magnesia, I just take pills or capsules), and I take stool softener daily, but I still have issues that I believe are related to thyroid (Iā€™m hypo and I donā€™t believe Iā€™m getting enough). Lack of iodine may also be playing a role in that (Iā€™m experimenting with seaweed/nori snacks to see if things change.) Probiotics help those of us who have a messed up gut biome quite a bit. I take one daily. Iā€™m also considering trying a soil-based Probiotic in addition to the ā€œregularā€ kind, because our foods no longer contain the variety of bacteria they used to.

If I do a big raw salad, sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesnā€™t, so I donā€™t believe itā€™s a ā€œroughageā€ thing entirely for me. A lot of people go completely without veggies and have no trouble. I know that psyllium husk and chia work for a lot of people. Iā€™ve tried those in salads, and once again, itā€™s on/off helpful.

Did you ask yourself why the muffins only worked for a couple of days? Are you as bad about drinking enough water as I am? I have started drinking all my water with an electrolyte supplement in it, because I drink more that way. Maybe those muffins will help more if you drink more water? I donā€™t know.

To sum it up, itā€™s a matter of finding what works for you. That answer [spoiler]sucks[/spoiler], right? :wink: Good luck finding your answer to your ā€œGut N=1!ā€ KCKO

(Terence Dean) #7

It took me nine weeks for my gut to switch over to Keto, so Iā€™m guessing you are way past that stage. I completely dropped wheat of any sort and began using a teaspoon of psyllium husks in my omelette mixture everyday and it produced soft easy to pass stools although much reduced in size compared to pre-keto. A big mistake I made was introducing one slice of whole meal toast to my breakfast. Holy moly that just bound me up again and I was in agony for 2-3 days until I could get rid of it. Lesson learned for me, donā€™t eat bread. It might be ok for others but it was bad news for me. Not sure whether those muffins are doing the same thing to you but you could try eliminating them to see if it makes any difference. I get plenty of fiber from the vegetables I eat everyday and its been plain sailing ever since I cut out the bread. Good luck.

Oh yes keep hydrated enough that can cause constipation as well.

Have you tried erythritol?

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #9

Sugar alcohol has rarely produced a useful poo for me. If I might go metaphorical, lots of thunder, but no rain.

(Michelle) #10

An avocado a day keeps me regular.

(Mike W.) #11

Have you tried eating no veggies?

Have you tried chia seeds? They work really well for me. Just pour some nut milk, you can bulk up by adding some coconut cream as well, and let it soak for a couple of hours (or overnight). Top it with nuts and berries. Itā€™s a nice dessert and does magic for bowl movements.

(Judith D'agostino Gina Rossi) #13

Thank you for your great adviceā€¦yes, I have been doing Keto for 6 months. My muffin is made with almond flour. I ate Keto pancakes today made with almond flour. Maybe it is the almond flour and not enough veggies. I will work on that today regarding veggies. Tomorrow I will have a vegetable omelette for breakfast And I will eliminate the muffin for awhile. Think I will steam some broccoli for part of my lunch. My digestive system is the most difficult for me. Everything else is great now that I am on Keto!

(Judith D'agostino Gina Rossi) #14

Hi Mike,

I have read and listened to YouTube presentations about that. I may try that as a last resort. Thanks for reminding me!

(Judith D'agostino Gina Rossi) #15

Love avocados! I have not been eating those recently. Maybe need to have more. Thanks for your suggestion.

(Judith D'agostino Gina Rossi) #16

I have added swerve to my morning bullet coffee. Maybe I should go back to Stevia.

(Judith D'agostino Gina Rossi) #17

I realize that all of our bodies are different and what works for some doesnā€™t always work for others. I do take a probiotic everyday. I may have to do an elimination diet in order to figure this out, but I will stay Keto!

(Judith D'agostino Gina Rossi) #18

Hi Frank,

I know my body loves protein. I am still struggling with wether I have too much acid in my stomach or not enough. When I have protein for my stomach acids to work on, I feel much better. Carbohydrates really bother me. Prior to Keto, I was on pump exhibitors for 25 years every day except for a few weeks here and there when trying to get off them without success until Keto. My guess is all of this has something to do with the constipation, but I am determined to press through! (No pun intended)

(Candy Lind) #19

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

(Candy Lind) #20

Try @Brenda Zornā€™s Pork Rind Pancakes! Those things are miraculous.

Reminds me, I need to pulverize pork rinds today so I can fry up some chicken gizzards ā€¦ and make meatloaf ā€¦ and pancakes ā€¦ :innocent: