Post Your Bad Science Here!

(Robyn) #42

Oh and BTW, Canadian food guidelines do not say this! They’re certainly not low carb but the “25% calories from added sugars” is a biiiiig stretch.

(Justin Traer) #43

Great insight, Binski! I’m a fan of knowledge for knowledge’s sake personally, but I’m with you on prioritizing time and money!

Point A is exactly what I was most concerned about – it’s what the average person is going to take away from this. And as for points B and C, perhaps if there is follow up like the authors recommend, it can be another bit of knowledge on how in particular sugar’s are bad for humans.

(Rob) #44

Wasn’t sure whether to post this under Bad Science or humor … this thread will do.I did respect the scientific integrity of the article below in one sense. They didn’t quote an actual “study” like many of the internet journalistic click-baiters do …they admitted they were referring to a “paper” published n a scientific periodical.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jun/08/save-planet-meat-dairy-livestock-food-free-range-steak

I’ll admit I didn’t read the article all the way through … I read enough of it to see it for what it was. More of the vegan religion that they’re trying to force on everyone else through any means possible including bad science.

One of the more interesting bits of “science” was :

Farming livestock for food threatens all life on earth, and ‘free-range’ steak is the worst of all

Closely nipping at the heels of the first quote was:

Whether human beings survive this century and the next, whether other lifeforms can live alongside us: more than anything, this depends on the way we eat.

So … I’m willing to bet the rent money that all of you “fine” people who have been recommending grass fed beef and dairy products from grass fed cows will be tripping over each other to post retractions and apologize to people everywhere for your previously boorish behavior and this forum sill cease operations within a week.

And this will happen … when pigs floss!

I love Firefox as a browser but I think I’ll kill their “news” feeds and suggested articles. They suggested “An article I might be interested in” about a week ago describing the “intense debate” about how much plants like celery think and feel.

I don’t seem to recall seeing any articles about things we can do to relieve the suffering of people and help our fellow man/woman … except of course to save the planet people live on through the eradication of all things bovine.

Understand I firmly believe we need to be good stewards of the planet and ecosystems in which we live. On the other hand, I watched a dear friend lose his legs, then his eyesight, then his life to diabetes. A diet rich in the things condemned in the article linked above could have saved my friends legs, eyesight and life with early intervention. I guess it comes down to which you value more … a person with a potentially reversible and certainly preventable serious medical condition … or a stalk of thinking and feeling celery.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #45

Peter Ballerstedt has some interesting points that rebut a lot of that article. Even he admits, however, that factory farming methods currently in use in the U.S. are unsustainable. But there are methods that are much ecologically sounder than the current methods, and we could switch to those.

(karen) #46

I get so frustrated with the whole argument. Factory farming is horrific and inhumane, there’s really no question about it. But factory farming is not the only way to eat meat. We’ve been eating meat without promoting wholesale torture for about 2 million years, minus 100 or so. Killing and eating meat is part of human evolution, it’s not intrinsically cruel, it’s part of life. Complete dissociation and disregard for the creatures we eat, however, is a relatively new thing.

So the vegans point to factory farming as if it’s the only way to consume animals and we should all die of shame for eating meat. The feed-the-world with grains people point to CAFO beef in every study and then say beef can’t feed the world while grains can, ignoring the fact that all their water and grain usage figures only apply to CAFO feeding methods. And the carnivores point at the vegans and say crunchy granola crap, meat eating is fine. And the middle ground gets lost between three ideologies that are all wearing blinders.

(Mark Walker) #47

I just saw this and had to share… at about 20:00 he starts talking about Ketosis. He makes some pretty bold (and wrong) claims, but then says he doesn’t know what he’s talking about, then makes more bold claims!

(Alec) #48

Well he was right about something!! One out of 3 ain’t bad! The thing that got me was his confusion about low carb vs low protein. For someone doing a Ted talk about the science of burning fat and then mentioning ketones, you’d think he would know a bit about it???

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #49

And most aboriginal cultures around the world had ceremonies thanking the animal for its life and blessing it for providing the food they needed.

(Troy) #50

Beef Jerky and Other Processed Meats Associated with Manic Episodes
July 18th, 2018
———-

Best thing about this article
Check out the picture of some meat on the first page :heart_eyes:??
Yummy
I will eat it, pass the butter to please

I’m gonna email them and find out where I can get such a lovely plate of their cold cuts / meat🤣
That’s my contribution to this study

(Aimee Moisa) #51

That list… Oh oh nonono, oh my gosh. Wow. Oh dear. sigh

(Aimee Moisa) #52

Ooh, that is one mighty fine looking spread there.

(Casey Crisler) #53

A little confusing. The headline seems to say Omega 3 doesn’t help with heart issues but the article says Omega 3 supplements. Maybe it’s too early in the AM for me to grasp what they’re saying.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #54

They are saying that omega-3 in the form of supplements appears to have no effect on our risk of heart attack or stroke. Omega-3 is an essential fatty acid, so we have to have a certain amount in our diet, but it would appear from this meta-analysis that excess quantities of it have no benefit.

ETA: I’m not sure why this was posted in Bad Science. The meta-analysis appears sound, and the result is not surprising. The fact that a little of something is good does not imply that more is necessarily better. We also know that sometimes substances affect the body better in their natural form than they do when isolated in a supplement.

(Casey Crisler) #55

I guess it was more the headline and article contradiction that bothered me. In some respects I hope it’s true. Then I can stop buying expensive fish oil supplements.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #56

I’ll try to take a look at the original paper, but the Cochrane folks are pretty good and generally seem to be very careful with their analyses. They specialize in double-checking the scientific proof of things everyone “knows” to be true.

(Alec) #57

What does that sentence even mean? You’d think their first sentence would make at least some sort of sense??? Who proofreads these things??

(Aimee Moisa) #58

What about drinking cod-liver oil? That’s a supplement but also in its natural form. I thought the flaxseed oil pills I took were “kind of” natural form, just surrounded by a shell that will melt in my gut.

Now I’m confused. :\

(Aimee Moisa) #59

Obviously not me, I be da “Queen of Proofreading”. :wink:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #60

Don’t know if anyone has ever studied cod-liver oil. There must be some good to it, however, or I doubt our grandmothers would have dosed the family with it. But I’d be willing to bet that fresh cod would be even better, where available.

(Aimee Moisa) #61

Well, either way I’m stuck with flaxseed oil. Not only do I hate fish but I’m also a spinner by avocation and I enjoy the sideways connection.