Post Your Bad Science Here!

(Karl) #21

Watch it, folks. My carbs are backloading.

Lord have mercy

(Karl) #23

It’s funny… you tell your google feed you like news on Keto, you get BLASTED with bad science like that article.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #24

It’s funny: when I used to load up on carbs at night, I kept gaining weight, not losing it . . . .

But then, I am not a nutrition scientist. :bacon:

(Troy) #25

Oh boy😳

(Troy) #26

Going for a “ 2-fer “
Back to back :joy:

(Candy Lind) #27

This from the same morons who say HERE that sugars don’t cause obesity, diabetes, etc., sugars are not addictive, and eliminating sugars is not necessary to lose weight. What I wouldn’t give for a list of their financial underwriters.

At least eating whole foods and IF show an upswing. And I suspect they devised a way to reduce the lchf/keto number to 3% by skewing definitions, so some keto/lchf people landed in different categories. I would think that number would be much higher.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #28

Here you go:

IFIC Supporters: IFIC is supported by the following companies from the broad-based food, beverage and agricultural industries

Abbott Nutrition
Atkins Nutritionals, Inc.
Barilla Group
Bayer CropScience LP
Cargill, Incorporated
Chobani
The Coca-Cola Company
Compass Group
The Dannon Company, Inc.
Dow AgroSciences, LLC
DSM
DuPont Nutrition & Health
Ferrero USA
General Mills, Inc.
Heartland Food Products Group
The Hershey Company
HYET Sweet
Mars, Incorporated
McCormick & Company, Inc.
McKee Foods
Mondelēz International
PepsiCo
Red Bull North America
Subway
STEMconnector®
Yum! Brands
Zoetis

WOW! :open_mouth:

(Candy Lind) #30

No surprise! We haul a lot of those companies’ shit food around the country for them.

(karen) #31

o this one is wonderful. Did you know the body recognizes all kinds of sugar - i.e. syrup, table sugar, maltodextrin etc.- as sugar, yet because of magic it’s only added sugar that counts? Did you know you can eat five slices of pizza on your low sugar diet? No? For this and an astonishing list of other nutrition facts, check out Recommended Daily Amount on Amazon Prime.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #32

So that means that sugar is fine, because it has no added sugar. Got it! :bacon:

(karen) #33

Just the fact that I’d have to choose between ‘sugar’ and ‘carbohydrates’ if I took their survey is a red flag. Yooo hoooo … hellooooo … can anybody say “intentional misdirection?” I thought you could!

(Allen Heishman) #34

A budy at work sent this to me today.

Rat study in Brazil linked to increased risk of diabetes… seems a tad bit odd.

(karen) #35

The biggest problem with this study is that they don’t state what the rats were eating when they weren’t fasting. I imagine cycling fat-adapted fasting and keto diet is hugely different for insulin resistance than cycling fasting and donuts.

(Justin Traer) #36

The CBC article:

The paper:

I think the science might be OK, I’ll admit I just skipped bulk of it as I don’t have time to read it, but the reporting is god awful as usual with CBC and science reporting in general.

I wonder how many people are going to read this and then figure they can subtract 12% of the calories off of a baked good if it contains glucose-fructose…

sigh

KCKO

(Doug) #37

Saturated Fat Is More Metabolically Harmful for the Human Liver Than Unsaturated Fat or Simple Sugars

:smile: Not “politically correct,” but what an absolute bunch of retards. Give people an extra 1000 calories per day for 3 weeks, either simple sugars, saturated fat, or unsaturated fat, then draw conclusions without taking into account the rest of their diets…

(Robyn) #38

This CBC article makes me so angry. I work for UBC and it is infuriating that university time is being wasted on this (not to mention government dollars!!!).
Among other issues:
a) It’s essentially telling people that baked goods are better for them than they’d thought (“Yay! Let’s all indulge!”)
b) Baked goods are still essentially poison to many peoples’ bodies. Who cares if there is slightly less poison per serving?
c) I don’t trust that the end products of the Maillard reactions are any better for us than sugar.

(karen) #40

What the What? The very first sentence of the abstract:

“Health agencies state that total dietary energy intake should not exceed a maximal of 25% of calories derived from added sugars.”

Which health agency is that, the Willie Wonka Dietary Guideline Association?

(Robyn) #41

I know, seriously! And they also talk about browning products having beneficial properties, such as antioxidant capacity. Umm… pretty sure it’s also associated with cancer (acrylamide).