Post Your Bad Science Here!

(Central Florida Bob ) #62

I read a similar study on Omega-3 supplements about 10 years ago, so I was leaning toward this belief. Still, it’s always good to get replication on studies. Especially with how bad science is these days.

About five years ago, I read that while the Omega 3 to Omega 6 ratio probably matters, the best approach is probably just to restrict W6, not supplement with W3 (you fellow engineer-types will be used to W for Omega; the rest of you need to remember it for about one minute :wink:) So if you want more W3, eat some salmon or sardines. The Ruminati (Dr. Peter Ballerstedt) says the amount of W3 from high-end grass fed beef is tiny compared to a what you get in wild caught salmon.

@ladylyssa reminds me of something. Flax seed oil is W3, but plant sources aren’t supposed to be as good as animal. The ones I used to take were sold refrigerated from source to customer, and since the characteristic of any polyunsaturated oil is that it reacts more easily than saturated oils, I always thought fish oil or any other W3 oil ought to be refrigerated from source to you.

(Aimee Moisa) #63

I hate to start my reply with “yes, but” but…

Yes, but… I REALLY hate the taste of fish, and that fish oil burp about an hour after I take the supplement just makes me wanna gag every time. :slight_smile:

I’m doing the best I can with what I got, and what I got in spades is an aversion to fish. LOL

But I do appreciate you offering your suggestion, I really do.

(Central Florida Bob ) #64

Don’t be concerned about being skeptical, I’m skeptical of myself constantly. Can’t tell you how many times I say, “how do you know that?” or “why do you think that?”

Why do I think flax seed oil isn’t as good as animal sources? It’s so long ago I don’t recall the study, but a few seconds turned it up at Harvard University. (I don’t particularly trust them any more than anyone else).

"The health benefits of fish oil are believed to derive principally from two omega-3 fats, eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). Flaxseed oil contains a third, plant-based omega-3, alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). "

The ALA has to be converted to DHA and EPA by some limited amount of enzymes in our bodies. Harvard says you get about 10 or 15% of the W3 on the label of the flax seed oil. So do you take 10 capsules to get the same amount of DHA and EPA as you get in fish oil? I don’t think it works that way.

I can’t say I’m a big fan of fish burps either. The “burpless” form works about 80% of the time. To be honest, if I were in your spot I wouldn’t take any supplement. Come to think of it, I kind of am in your spot and don’t take an W3 supplement.

(Aimee Moisa) #65

Yeah but…

LOL

I already paid for them so I might as well use them. :slight_smile:

(karen) #66

It’s pretty clear to me that nothing is ever proofread any more. As long as it passes a spellchecker program, they’re wee Gogh, awls write and out standing. I assume they mean “maximum”, not “maximal.”

(Aimee Moisa) #67

Wouldn’t work for a Brit, “Gogh” is pronounced “Goff”.

Also, am I the only one who pronounces “they’re” differently from “their”?

(Alec) #68

But even if you put in maximum, it still makes no sense. I think I know what they are trying to say, but the sentence is just all wrong…

Should it not state:

Health agencies state that a maximum of 25% of calories of total dietary intake should be derived from added sugars.

And as someone pointed out, the statement is surely wrong anyway, as this must be the Willy Wonka Health Agency (a key word in there is added). I’d love to know exactly who they are referring to. I think they have researchers assumption blindness. They think they know, and are writing what they think they know without checking their facts.

If you write papers for a living, you’d think they could actually both write understandable sentences and write things that are true!! When a paper starts this sloppily, how on earth can you take the researchers seriously???

If I was this sloppy in my job, I would be out within a month.
[rant mode off]

(karen) #69

You would, wouldn’t you.

“Should not exceed a maximum” is redundant. Either ‘should not exceed 25%’, or as you say, ‘a maximum of 25%’.

… “Various authorities we prefer not to name who might or might not be associated with certain industries who we refuse to blame for anything, feel that a plate that’s 5% parsley, 15% potatoes, 20% white bread, 20% additives and soybean oil, 15% breakfast sausages and a certain percentage which should not exceed a maximal top amount of percent of 25% of Whipple-Scrumptious Fudge-Mallow Delight Bars constitutes a proper and nutritious diet. We now return you to your regularly scheduled heart attack.”

(Rob) #70

This isn’t "bad Science’ … rather a well written counter argument to something I hear from time to time … mormally from vegans but I’ve heard the same argument from some individuals on this forum. The argument basically states that “Cows are Bad for the Environment”. More often than not … though not always … the argument leads to a discussion of the vegan way of eating. Attached is a link to an article that I think offers some points to ponder. I refuse to argue the merits of the article … first off because there are people who simply enjoy an argument … find someone else. I don’t necessarily agree with some of the words chosen … but I do agree with the basic tenet … specifically there ae places on this planet that you’re not going to do much else with.

I got to thinking aboutthis while driving through the area around Lake Okeechobie … towards the Southern part of Florida. This was shortly after hurricane Irma came through … I was watching miles and miles of flat Florida scrub land pass by with cows everywhere … depending on where they were staning … some were standing in water left behind by the hurricane. I had the chance to talk to a few cattle men while I was there … one of the things I wondered about was what they did with all the cows when the hurricane blew through. Short answer was largely nothing. They weren’t going to blow away. There was little in the miles and miles of scrubland tha twould be a hazard to the cows.

Found out that most of the time, the round is dry, hard, with only Florida scrub grasses growing on it … the cows like it … not much else does. There were enough water holes/ponds on the roperty to keep the cows watered. As I looked at this I wondered "what else would you do with this property (that didn’t involve developers/builders)? Not much. Can’t cultivate it … nothing will grow there except scrub … useless to anything but a few animals. Trying to irrigate that land would be a bad idea. Those of us who have lived in Florida … at least since the Viet Nam war was in the news can remember various times times when teams of highly trained, highly skilled engineers irreversibly ruined large parts of natural Florida by rerouting water for whatever reason. The point being is, this land the cattle are content grazing on … you’re not going to do much else with it in terms of food production. Cattlemen … the ones who financially survive are an increasingly sharp bunch who try and use everything cow related.

I would agree that there may be areas where land is a scarce resource that perhaps other ways of growing food would be a better use of resources. There are huge stretches of Texas and to a lesser degree in Florida where cattle are very appropriate. I find it amusing (initially, ignorance becomes annoying) when people living in and whose frame of reference is an urban or at best suburban area categorically condemns raising beef cattle.

The article linked below explains the idea far better than I can. Trying to find ways to condemn raising animals for food based on their environmenttal impact is a form of colonialism. “We don’t live where you do … we don’t know the area where you live like you do, but we know what is best for you … so top what you’re doing and pay attention”. I don’t think so.

https://qz.com/1311884/is-promoting-vegetarianism-a-form-of-colonialism/

(karen) #71

We don’t have to have an argument, but my thought on this is that not every square inch of the earth is for mankind to “do something” with. The global system requires “unproductive” areas that are not about humans and our direct needs in order to maintain itself - in other words, the planet needs ‘unused’ spaces and resources in order to support our need for things like weather stability, breathable air and drinkable water.

We used to think we only used 10% of our brains, because we didn’t understand what the rest of our brain was doing. I think the same can be said of the earth.

All that said, there are ways to incorporate cattle into the natural rhythms of the land without damaging anything - just probably nowhere near as many of them as we might like. Cows are not bad, eating meat is not bad, it’s just the way we do those things that’s not working very well.

Just my two cents.

(Rob) #72

I think you missed the entire point of the article and my post.

(Rob) #75

Deleted my most recent response. This is going off way off topic from the spirit of the forum and adds no value to discussions regarding the ketogenic way of eating.

(karen) #76

Oh, ok. I thought it was interesting, though.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #77

Wait! There pronounced the same . . . aren’t they? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Interesting article, and I think Peter Ballerstedt would agree with a lot, and have something to contribute, besides.

But honestly, “sensical”? [Fung voice on] Are you kidding me? [Fung voice off] :-1:

(Troy) #78

Right on the front page of MFP Blog

Calories Deficit, restriction and CICO :roll_eyes:
Nothing KETO

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the-rd-is-intermittent-fasting-really-helpful-for-weight-loss/

(Barbara Sarnecka) #79

Correlational study, asked people to remember what they ate (bad method) and only asked them twice: Once at the beginning of a 25-year study and again 6 years later. What were the people eating for the next 19 years? Um, we don’t know. So what the study really found was that people who said they were doing Atkins-- 19 years ago-- had a slightly higher absolute risk of dying than people who said (19 years ago) they were following doctor’s orders and eating 50% of calories from carbs. There are so many flaws in this methodology, it makes me want to spit. But then I’d just get spit on my computer screen. Sigh.

(Ellen) #80

Or they could just try keto, but I suppose not much money in that.

(Troy) #81

Here we go again🙄