Pork Rinds make me sick —what can I eat?

conversationstarters
keto
food

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #1

I am so ashamed to admit to the Keto community that Pork Rinds make me sick. About 10 minutes after consuming them I get horrible reflux, as if my stomach is pushing them back up and saying “Hell No Girl!”

Why?? I’ve tried them whole, ground up and used in Brenda’s Waffles, Carl’s Fried Chicken, I even made an incredible Enchilada pie. But no luck digesting them :weary:

What are your best replacement recommendations for crunch when Pork Rinds don’t work? And I’m adverse to coconut flour’s grit.

Thanks!

My story is on Class of 2017 here—KCKO

(Carl Keller) #2

I’ve used almond flour or even just parm cheese with good results. It’s not as effective as refined flour but it turns out tasty (and healthier) enough.

(Windmill Tilter) #3

Voila…:grinning:

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #4

You’re so right!!

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #5

What a great article! I like the ideas of making parm/almond/flaxseed crust for chicken etc…thank you

Plenty of things you can use.

I make a keto fry bread at home, and while I do add pork rind, other things you can add for texture are- psyllum husks, LSA (linseed, sunflower seed and almond meal mix), toasted coconut flakes, ground up pepitas, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, chia seeds and poppy seeds

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #7

So you have a recipe for your Frye bread? I’ve been wanting to make them for our family.

When I’ve tried using the husks, it sometimes is “gummy” so a recipe will help me get the touch for using it.

Thanks!

(Ali Marie Fit Life) #8

I HATE pork rinds. I was excited to try, and they literally make me about gag. I’m not a picky person, either. Maybe every now and then… try the quest chips? I do know they’re “dirty Keto”… but they’re better than nothing at times. Good luck!

(PSackmann) #9

I’m not a fan of pork rinds myself. When I want something crunchy for spinach avocado dip or something similar, I generally use raw veggies and load them up.
I keep trying pork rinds in the hope that I’ll eventually like them, but no luck so far. Maybe if I find some freshly made ones sometime, that will make the difference.

2 eggs
1/4 cup of cream or 1 tablespoon of plain greek yoghurt
1 teaspoon of psyllum husks
2 tablespoons of LSA
1 tablespoon of sesame seeds
1/2 teaspoon of chia seeds
1 tablespoon of whole pepitas (grind for a finer bread)
1 teaspoon of whole sunflower seeds (grind for a finer bread)
1 teaspoon of vinegar
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
salt

These are just guess measurements as I usually just wing it everytime I make these, but the mix should be a thick porridge consistency. Feel free to use whatever seeds etc you have in the house, my recipe always changes to whatever I have available e.g. pork rinds will sometimes replace LSA.

I dry fry these in a frying pan but you can add a little bit of butter to the frying pan. Cook on a medium/low heat

Make them as big or small as you want. I just scoop mixture with a tablespoon and make small pancake sized bits of bread.

(Justin S) #11

That specific reflux could be due to a lack of sufficient stomach acid necessary to digest all that protein. I had the same problem with rinds & also sardines.

I tried the trick of adding acid to my stomach instead of an acid neutralizer, like TUMS, to see if it would help. And what do you know, I started burping like crazy and then pipes cleared up in minutes.

If I’m having that sort of problem, I drink a mix of about 16-20oz water, 1/4-1/2 tsp pink salt, 1 tbsp ACV, juice of one whole lime, and about 5-7 drops of stevia, all over lots of ice. Drink that, and it might clear your indigestion too!

I only say this because a life without pork rinds would make keto almost impossible for me. I eat them pretty much daily, haha.

Another idea, if you tolerate dairy, is to put little piles of shredded parmesan and/or Romano cheese mixed with a dash of paprika onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. Broil those until they are flat but not burned. Once cooled, they are chip-esque. Also can use a bottle or rolling pin while they’re still hot to turn them into little taco shells.

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #12

I did try them before I was KETO, they did not digest well either and I remember being itchy…

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #13

Thank you! I’ll let you know when I try them.

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #14

Thanks Justin! I’ll try the drink as Inalways have those ingredients on hand.

Good tip about the taco shells-I did make them last summer and forgot the recipe.

(Ali Marie Fit Life) #15

bummer, I’m sorry :frowning:

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #16

Which raw veg do you choose? I do miss the crunch of carrots in a dip, raw broccoli and cauliflower don’t taste good(I prefer them poached in butter :grin: )

(PSackmann) #17

My go-to’s are celery and pepper strips, I’ve heard radishes can be good for a bland dip. I haven’t jumped on the jicama bandwagon yet, although I might at some point. I’ve also used grape tomatoes, just have to watch your carbs for the rest of the day. They’re not crunchy, but they take a dip well.

(Parker the crazy crone lady) #18

Jicama root is to die for IMHO. Love the stuff!

(Stephen Readman) #19

Enchilada pie sounds awesome, do you have a recipe for that?

Thanks

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #20

Sure, let me dig it out of the archives.

It can also be made in a crockpot by assembling the layers directly in the crockpot and cooking on low for 4 hours, but you just don’t get that bubbly, brown cheese that way!

Ellen’s Enchilada Pie (circa 1967)

1 28 oz can Enchilada Sauce (or recipe below)
2 lbs Ground Beef
1 White Onion, diced
1 can Fire Roasted Green Chilies (or recipe below)
1/2 can Tomato Paste
1/2 Cup Beef Broth (keto-fy by using Bone broth)
2 Cups Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese (or Mexican Cheese Blend)
Paprika, Salt and Pepper
10-12 Corn Tortillas (Low Carb or 2-1/2 C Ground Pork Rinds)
Oil (Avocado for keto)

Heat Oven to 375 Degrees

In a saucepan, add the Enchilada sauce and bone broth then heat to boiling, boil 5 minutes, then turn off heat.

In pre-heated Dutch oven or cast iron pan, add oil, cook white onion until soft, add ground beef. Brown and remove to a bowl.

In the same pan where you cooked the beef (or Dutch oven) you will make 3 layers;
2-3 Tablespoons of Enchilada Sauce, spread across
1/3rd of the Ground Beef
Add a sprinkling of chilies
3 Tortillas- one at a time dip a tortilla into the sauce and lay over chilies. If using ground Pork Rinds, use 1/3rd of them.
1/3rd Grated Cheese spread across the dish
Season with Paprika
Repeat 2 more times.

Cover and bake in the oven 20 minutes, remove lid and finish baking another 10-15 minutes until bubbly and browning.

Serve with Sour Cream and Guacamole.

————————
Enchilada Sauce Recipe

2 pounds ripe tomatoes
6 cloves garlic, touch chopped
1 yellow onion, diced
1/2 can tomato paste
1 bunch cilantro
1 Cup chicken stock
2 dried Guajillo chilies
1 dried Pasillo chili
2 Tablespoons Cup Chili Powder
2 Tablespoons Ground Cumin
1-1/2 Tablespoons Oregano - dried
1 Tablespoon Cayenne
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
Tabasco Sauce
Ice and cold water

In saucepan, add chicken stock, dry seasonings and chilies. Simmer to soften and rehydrate the chili’s, about 15 minutes. Blend until mostly smooth.

Turn oven to Broil. On a cookie sheet, add the whole tomatoes, garlic and diced yellow onion. Blister the tomatoes under the broiler, turning them as needed, about 10 minutes. Use a spatula to turn and char the garlic and onion on the cookie sheet.

Add ice to large bowl of cold water. As the tomatoes finish blistering, drop them into the cold water. Remove tomato peel and then rough chop, removing seeds.

Blend blistered garlic, onion, tomato paste and cilantro leaves until a paste forms. Add tomatoes and keep blending until all have been used.

Pour into sauce pan with sauce made earlier, mix and bring to a boil for 5-7 minutes to reduce until it coats the back of a spoon.

——————
2-3 Large Anaheim or Hatch Green Chilies

Blister chilies by turning a gas burner on high and placing the chili directly in the flame. Turn every 30 seconds in the beginning to heat the through. Keep turning as the skin begins to blacken. Remove from flame when done, place chili’s into ice water bath. Peel chili’s under the water, set on cutting board to finish cooling then rough chop.

———————

Cheers!