Pleased to Meet You

Hi,

I am a newbie. I am almost 52 years old and obese. Last June I was diagnosed with a fatty liver, my BS is a bit high - borderline - and i have MS as well as arthritis in my neck, knees, back. I’m a wreck! LOL I’m female btw.

A number of years ago, I went on the Stillman diet where I ate steamed meat for a month. I lost twelve pounds even though I was consuming alcohol at the time. My nails got really brittle and my skin was dry. Needed that fat.I am getting ready to fully commit to a Zero Carb diet next week. I have been eating some steamed meat and cheese this week as well as almonds, dark chocolate and stevia. The last three items will be gone by April 1.

I like using the steamed meat b/c it is convenient. I steam skinless chicken, stewing beef and pork trim then put it in the fridge and eat that when I am hungry. As long as I am getting fat from other sources like cheese (I may get rid of that too though) and I do take a swig of olive oil a night to keep things regular. Will that work do you think?

Thanks for any suggestions and for allowing me on this forum.

I’ve never heard of steaming meat for convenience. You got me there.

Perhaps as a way to increase the fat content in steamed meat, you may want to consider pouring on some melted butter, or hollandaise sauce…both are ZC fatty additives. An easy recipe for hollandaise sauce is:

Thank you for replying and for the suggestion Fiorella. The convenience of steaming the meat is that i put it in the fridge and just grab a piece here and there if I am hungry. I am counting on not having to add too much fat since my body has a lot to work on to start.

Thanks for the recipe. I can eat the steamed meat and get my fat elsewhere as in buttered tea I was thinking.

That is a common misconception and a harking back to the old CICO (calories in calories out) days. Take a listen to the latest podcast about switching it up with Megan Ramos - I think you would find it very interesting. If you were eating high fat meats and other high fat foods then I would agree you probably don;t need to add fat on top of that but it worries me that you are removing fat effectively form things like meat by cooking it the way you do. Have a bit of a mooch around the forum and maybe do a search for CICO, reducing fat and things like that just to get a wider view of what I am talking about.

Good luck and welcome. I am sure you are going to do really well.

(eat more) #5

you can do that with any cooking method :blush:
nothing more convenient for me than grabbing a rotisserie chicken from costco (or any grocery store.)

i agree with what @daisy said…also check out the Instant Pot (pressure cooker) threads and use the forum search function for fatty liver. i am sure you aren’t alone.

at first you won’t be using your own fat and no one wants you to be hungry, have brittle nails/hair, dry skin, and lower your metabolic rate :blush:

welcome and don’t fear the fat…fat is our friend :grin:

Ok, we are all built differently, so, no one can say for sure what happens in every human being.

However, not adding sufficient fat, and eating a high protein diet, is well known to work against you. This is why Volek and Phinney talk about the importance of fat adaptation at the beginning of your keto journey. It takes a few weeks to get to fat adaptation, by eating lots of fat, and training your body to make ketones, and then use up those ketones, which then opens the avenue to cut back on fat.

Thanks for your reply Daisy. I do eat cheese (full fat though I tend to really eat cheese so I may have to quit it) I eat butter and coconut oil and olive oil and i do cook meat other ways too. I learned my lesson about going totally fat free - scaly skin, brittle nails - so I won’t do that again. I don’t steam my chicken that has skin on it and I do eat roast etc Sometimes I may even have a bulletproof green tea.

I don’t believe in the CICO method. I don’t believe in a low fat diet either. Nor do I believe in most doctor’s recommendations.

thanks for your comments Mikki. I do love my fat! And I do eat a lot of fat. I wasn’t clear because I do cook my meat other ways. I am going to take that ghee hollandaise recipe and make some up. IT will be great with my upcoming meal of mussels and shrimp and mahi mahi. I didn’t buy those b/c they are low fat but b/c I like them ( I have a slow cooker and I make bone broth in it. I also use gelatin twice a day in my tea.

I like my steaks with fat and a few minutes on one side in the frying pan and few minutes on the other (coated in butter first of course) then sear the fat and plop on a plate.

Thanks Fiorella. I have been eating higher fat for the last month but I have been cheating too much with small squares of dark chocolate and almonds.

(Jaidann) #10

Welcome! I don’t have any experience with any of your questions but I did want to say Hi :slight_smile:

@KetoFied thank you for saying hi. I have been off and on keto and zero carb for a few years. April 1, I am going to be TOTALLY committed to it (or committed LOL) and save my health in five months.

(Tim W) #12

Hello bcgrown!

I’m new to the forums as well.

My wife and I have been eating keto for 3 months or so, fasting for much longer.

My wife had not seen as much of a change as I have and I think its due to the dairy intake. She’s much more insulin sensitive than I am and has to be more “on point” and cut the dairy and maybe get carbs super close to zero to get results. It’s all about cutting one thing, testing/testing/testing, and moving forward. Good luck in your journey!

Thanks for the welcome. I have a problem with sticking with things. I am off and on but I think I am finally getting to the point where I am fed up with going off plan and getting back on so I will restart tomorrow and stick with it! Time for a total life change.

Are you in BC? vancouver? If so, you can join a local Keto LCHF group (there are 2 meetup groups), and Dr Jay Wortman is taking in new patients. This will help you stick to the plan.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #15

Welcome to the asylum.
I am the gatekeeper.

Thank you Fiorella and thank you for the name of the doctor. I have heard of him before but unfortunately he is quite a distance from me and I don’t have a vehicle. :frowning: . I have seen those LCHF groups and I may consider those at a later time.

Pleased to meet you Brenday - I will behave, I promise.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #18

Why? That’s no fun.
We can’t be friends then. Lol

Oh. Then I won’t behave - I will let my natural personality shine through.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #20

OK. Welcome to my tribe.