Please share weight loss timelines

(Christine Flack) #81

great video…thanks!

(Dee Nice) #82

@DoggieMom, that is an awesome weight loss! I’m 63 and at week 14 have lost 26lbs. I like your numbers so much more than mine. Hubby is 66 and has last 40. I must be doing something wrong. Many days I don’t get to 20 carbs, many days I’m not hungry and only eat once. Any secrets?

(Janelle) #83

You can not compare yourself - seriously. @DoggieMom has had great success but if you follow her thread, even she has “no loss weeks” and setbacks. I’m 50, follow keto to a “T” under the supervision of a doctor and I have lost 19 pounds in 5 months. So that puts your “slow” loss into perspective doesn’t it?

Your husband is 1. A man. 2. A different person metabolically than you are. Same thing happened with my husband and he definitely eats more carbs than I do.

I’ve decided no one can give you their secrets because what works for them may not work for you.

(Jennibc) #84

I had spinal surgery five weeks ago and still managed to stay low carb during the two weeks where I was in bed most of the day. I ended up drinking protein shakes and using my vitamix to blend power greens with a little lemon juice. I couldn’t swallow for a week because they had to pin my esophagus to the side to reach my cervical spine. Very unpleasant. They suggested oatmeal, apple sauce and mashed potatoes. NOPE, NOPE, NOPE! A week in I ate cauliflower rice with curry coconut milk on top. You do not need carbs for recovery.

(Christine Flack) #85

i also had spine surgery last year (ACDF) and they actually told me protein was the best to eat.hmmmm…

(Jennibc) #86

The doctor just directed me to eat soft foods to start. Didn’t say anything about protein, carbs, fat etc. But those were the soft foods recommended.

(Virginia ) #87

@mistyu2 Thanks Dee. :slight_smile: Sorry, I have no secrets, I just keep my carbs under 20 a day. During the week days I only eat dinner mostly(OMAD) (unless I feel a little blah, then I will eat something earlier, but not very often) and on the weekends I eat breakfast or lunch (once in awhile I do skip) and dinner with my family. I was really big on Pepsi (several of them a day) but gave them up completely the night before I started Keto. :slight_smile: For the most part I only drink water (occasionally I will have a small cup of milk, or about 3 ounces of pickle juice, tea, coffee or 1/2 to a bottle of Bai drink). I just did a 48 hour Fast, first one in a few months (only did 3 or 4 before this one). Again, I’m sorry I don’t have any secrets to help you, just keep in mind everyone is different, some lose faster than others… depending on how much they have to lose, etc. But you and your husband are still doing great :slight_smile: , also like a lot of people say… do measurements… it might not show on the scale, but you could still be losing inches. I wish you both the best with your Keto journey. :slight_smile:

(Ree) #88

Started intermittent fasting without keto Aug 1st at 242, got down to 220 but October 15th. Then took holiday breaks, and restarted Jan 1st at 226. Started keto Jan 24th at 222 and I am now 209 today. :slight_smile: 32 lbs in 7 months .

(Dee Nice) #89

You are right about it all…and I HAVE lost inches, yay me!! I guess we all have our own personal journey to take. With gender, age and meds we are all different in what amount we loose. I really am looking to a year before a LOT of weight is off. Not just a few months. Thanks for your words!

(Dee Nice) #90

@FastingNike, we started November 18th and I actually made a full on Keto dinner for both Thanksgiving an Christmas. We both continued to loose weight. That was exciting!! So at least we know we can make it through the holidays still eating same meals, only Keto version.

(Dee Nice) #91

@CatGirl, you are right. I’m gonna stop comparing, keep on eating Keto and be thankful for whatever I loose!

(Door Girl) #92

Hi Christine!
From your profile picture and your weight loss goals you seem to already be pretty close to (or perhaps at) a healthy weight. Fortunately for us, healthy weight is a range so we can work to get to where we would like to be within that range. :slight_smile:

I’m only keto since the beginning of the year, but I was low carb for 2-3 years before then. Personally, nuts keep me from losing weight and sometimes put it on when I over do it. And my overdoing it on nuts is disgustingly low. I also don’t do well with fake sugars (or real sugars, to be honest) like many people here.

I’ve also found that the further from fresh harvested meats I go, the more it impacts my weight. I got lazy and reached for rotisserie chicken and “better” lunch meats for a while and the scale went on strike. My clothes got tighter too. I’m not planning to go back to raising and butchering my own chickens, but I am once again very particular that my chicken from the store isn’t soaked in broths or anything. The “15% broth solution” and “up to 1% salt solution” chicken parts look almost the same in the store, so I am now much more careful to read labels.

I’m a data nerd, so I added a slope line to my spreadsheet graph of weight. Now that I’m 8 weeks in I probably need to get a little fancier and add shorter time periods in, but I’ve realized I need to make changes when the slope of the line starts to change noticeably. That is how I realized that I don’t lose weight on rotisserie chickens or pepperoni.

Given that you are already on the leaner side, you may need to be more precise on the foods you are eating if you want to see faster results.

When I first read your post, the non-specific “meat” had me wondering if it was processed, and the coconut flakes and stevia chocolate gave me warning signals for you. It might be worth making more selective choices for a while and committing to a certain time period for the experiment.

I have a smart scale, and I love it. It records the information for me and I can’t skip writing down numbers I don’t like. :slight_smile: It also has the option of just giving me a smiley face after the reading is complete so that I can track my weight but not focus on it if you know what I mean. Taking a scale break, or using a tool like this might help reduce your stress and therefore help with your weight loss.

Lastly I’ll say that stress impact on weight is real. I didn’t change my eating much after a big job shakeup, but I gained 30 pounds in 6 months due to stress. And we were in a good place, but there was definitely stress!

I’m a unicorn. A sparkly, sparkly unicorn. While I’ve tweaked my eating in the past, I’ve never restricted calories for more than a week or two and probably never that long. Since you asked for weight loss timelines, here is mine. But remember, I’m a sparkly unicorn who has seems to have a very intact metabolism.

I started Dec 2017 152#, by May 2018 I was past my goal, 123.5. I’m 62.

I started trying to drop weight in 2014, and it was a rough, frustrating ride for a long time. In December 2017, I started logging everything. CICO at first, then switched to keto in July. Keto really worked for me. Haven’t lost in the last 3mo, but back on the right track.

Keep notes, try different things, and do what works for you. Above all, be patient with and kind to yourself.

Same here. Female 48 yo. Been at it for a year so give it time time time. First 15 pounds were fairly quick (couple of months). Next 5 pounds just came off the last month. Intermittent fasting and eating earlier in the evening rather than later at night helped. Let me know if you want more detail. Side note - my body has been healing in a myriad of other areas in addition to this! That’s why I say give it time.

(Christy) #96

F, 35, starting weight 152, 5’ 3”, “normal” weight 130

I am on day 5 of Keto & loving it for the most part. I have lost 7 lbs., & about an inch in my arms, bust, waist, hips, & legs. I am fairly strict with my carb intake. Most days I top out at 10/14 with ease. Up until the last 2 days I have gone over on my suggested protein, fat & caloric intake ashamedly so lol. I use Cronometer to keep track of everything I eat. I have found it to be incredibly useful!

I definitely feel less foggy & have quite a bit more energy. Can’t wait to feel those sleeping perks I keep ready about, though.

Best of luck to you on this journey, Christine!

(Judy Thompson) #98

@luckymisslucy I’ve been breaking my fast at 5 pm usually with a small amount of something probiotic (like saurkraut or a pickle) plus a high fat food like avocado; then I start making dinner and eat at 6 or 6:30.
When social situations have insisted, I’ve added lunch and then a small meal in the evening (in other words, not OMAD that day).

This time I started at approximately 225 on Jan 2nd and possibly am down to 200ish but I am not weighing much, as I’m still not sure after 2 months if I might get thrown off the plan by a disappointment!
Either way, the general plan is to give OMAD a year.
I did the OMAD strictly for 53 days and then ate lunch last Sunday, and will be doing that again tomorrow. Then next week we have lunch guests 2 days in a row on F/S and I’m thinking of trying to just switch my one meal to noon those days.

Fasting is the one constant through my many weight fluctuations of 50+ years and my best experience is that however I lose the weight, maintenance can only work if I follow the same plan I used to lose it.
So at this point I believe I can live my last 30 years on keto and IF, no more tantrums :wink:

(Christine Flack) #99

i use the cronometer as well! I am usually under calories and carbs but also under for protein so not sure how to fix that.

(Marianne) #100

I am curious, if it wasn’t fat you lost, and you put on lean muscle, was the rest water?

Yes. Most of the fast loss was towards the beginning of the diet, where most people drop the water weight. Fat loss takes more time and is slower, which is why I don’t just suddenly drop 5lbs in a week.