Please share weight loss timelines

(MelissaH) #41

We all have those days lol play around with your macros and see if that helps! Make sure your not adding too much fat. You want your body to burn it’s own fat not just the dietary fat. I use cronometer to check my macros. Don’t be afraid to change things up! Keto looks different for everyone

(Empress of the Unexpected) #42

I lost 24 pounds in ten months. I was at maintenance around month six. I have been dairy free for ten days and have lost another two pounds. I’m constantly tweaking so I can maintain.

(Cindy) #43

There really aren’t any “good carbs.” Even fruit over loads your liver with fructose. You have to understand that the food we’re eating today is NOTHING like the food that people ate for hundreds of years before now. Even if you look at what our grandparents ate, you’d see a huge difference. Fruit is all bigger and juicer, everything is more highly refined and processed. Add in that we also don’t lead the same lifestyle and it’s a recipe for disaster.

Hi Christine. I started out at 148 lbs on a 4’11’’ frame in Feb 2018.
I only weighed myself recently about a month ago and came in at 128 lbs.
I’d like to lose another 5 to 8 lbs but this is not natural for my body type which is curvy. At my height and for the activities I plan to do this summer, I am looking to be in better shape/lose any other excess (better buoyancy and lightness for longer distances) . I am aware that any muscle built will also add to that weight as I’ll be carrying packs hiking and am looking to build up more leg muscles and this will affect the numbers on the scale. I don’t care about that. I’m more interested in fitness and losing excess fat and rebuilding more muscle.

I hope this helps.

(MelissaH) #45

So true @cw2001! It’s getting harder and harder finding things in the store that haven’t been genetically modified! My body is so sensitive to things that I never noticed before keto

Hello and welcome! I just want to encourage you to stick with it as your body continues to adapt to this way of eating. It will work!

My story: I started this way of eating at 350 lbs at age 55 on July 26, 2018. Crazy fat, and feeling utterly hopeless and sick.

I think it took me around 6 weeks to become totally fat adapted. I was one of those who actually began losing water weight right away. But then, I had been retaining lots of water.

Although I was post menopausal I got my period back at the end of the first 4 weeks, and then again a month later. Totally surprised me. Medical tests said nothing was wrong. Whew! After that, no more periods, so it was probably something to do with all the stored estrogen in the fat I was starting to lose.

I’ve had a few issues with needing magnesium supplementation, but got that under control.

Thus far I have lost 97.8 lbs! I feel incredibly better, am no longer out of breath, tired and depressed. My house is cleaner then it’s ever been as I have the energy to tackle projects.

When I began I cut out all vegetable oils. All of them. I don’t eat anything with soybean oil, or canola or any of that. I began using only olive oil (technically a fruit, I think), butter or coconut oil for my needs. I cut out all snacks and packaged foods and began eating real, unprocessed foods. Sardines are OK. I do track everything I eat with Cronometer to watch my electrolytes and vitamins and tend to eat to meet them with food.

I stopped snacking between meals. Eating only when I was hungry. I find that sometimes I thought I was hungry, but a crystal or two of Himalayan pink rock salt cured that.

Within the first 4 weeks I wasn’t hungry in the mornings so I naturally transitioned to what is called “intermittent fasting”, eating only lunch and supper. At first I was concerned that I wasn’t eating enough, but my appetite came back and I now eat a bit more. If I am hungry in the morning, I will eat, but that is rare. Especially if I’m busy. But if I am on vacation with my family or out for a special weekend I will eat breakfast if I can find low carb foods.

I do use a macro calculator and keep under 20 net carbs daily, usually go over a bit on my protein, but stay under on my fat macro.

I do believe hormones play a big role in weight loss. There have been times of steady weight loss and times when the scale simply didn’t move for months. This even though I have been consistently watching my eating and never cheat.

Because I was not capable of really knowing if I was hungry or not when I first began this way of eating, I experimented with how much I allowed myself and then stuck by that (keeping within my macros). Many don’t bother with watching anything but carbs, but because of my weight, I didn’t trust myself. Now I have a much better feel for what my body needs and now know when I’ve had enough and am not really hungry.
Sorry this has been long!

(Mary) #47

Hey! 8 1/2, thank you very much. I’m sure I’d have thrown in the towel if it had been 9… :stuck_out_tongue:

(Charlotte) #48

I wish more people knew and understood about feedback loops in regards to biology. Weight loss is such more more than what you eat and what activity you do. There is a huge psychological aspect that is underestimated and disregarded too often for people struggling. That’s just my opinion though. :slight_smile:

(Doug) #49

Most definitely, Charlotte - nice post. :slightly_smiling_face:

Fascinating stuff, though usually far from simple.

(MelissaH) #50

@Luckymisslucy stress kills right? So it only makes sense it would effect weight as well.

I so agree. I don’t think people realize that worrying about how much weight you’re not losing can stop you from losing weight!

ps. even though I know this reality, I also can’t stop thinking about how much weight I don’t seem to be losing. It’s so tough!!!

(Charlotte) #52

@misshannah, For me, I was so focused and desperate to lose my abundance of jigglies that I would get so down when I wouldn’t see loss on the scale that it caused me to stress and spiral. I would over analyze everything trying to figure out why and then try to replicate a week where I made my best progress with no luck. Finally I just said screw it. The stress was not worth it and I made a conscience decision to just let go. I decided to take my toddlers 3 hour naptime to not do anything. No laundry, no dishes, no cleaning, no tasks… just take that 3 hours to do anything I wanted that I felt was quiet and relaxing and just for me. If that meant I just lay in bed and watch tv or read… great. Since then I feel calmer, happier, rested, renewed, and peaceful. With the effects of the “me time” every day my weight loss has picked up. I don’t micromanage every part of my keto anymore. I just go with the flow and it has been the best thing I have ever done.

This is what i say to myself to go with the flow:
•If I cheat, ok… be smart, don’t go nuts, and make sure its worth it and you already know the consequences (I list them out loud). 90% of the time this actually keeps me from cheating.
•The older kids driving me nuts, ok… give them a list of chores to do while I have my quiet time or kick them out of the house altogether and make them go to the park and get some sunlight on their pasty screen addicted butts.
•I didn’t lose weight or gained, ok… no biggie. (shrug) It WILL come off, so what thats its not today. Nothing to worry about. Take a deep breath and move on. Don’t give it another thought.

Its so easy to get stuck in an infinite loop of not losing weight, getting down and stress about not losing weight… round and round. You have to recognize when you are in a loop and have to have a plan to break that loop. I genuinely let those feelings go. The loops also work the other way too. You lose weight, youre happy, make better choices, and keep losing weight, etc. I just try to hang on to the positive loops and let go of the bad loops. It takes practice. It took me strategizing ways to reduce my stress, and putting them into practice regularly to finally just go with the flow. You truly have to believe it will work for it to really work.

…but thats just me. lol

One of my favorite quotes on this site is “the scale is a lying liar who lies”. Yesterday I weighed myself and then THREE HOURS LATER I weighed again and there was a 4 lb difference. So now I try to only weigh myself once per week…focusing on how my clothes fit.
I’m only on week 5 1/2. Lost maybe 2-3 lbs the first week then slowed waaay down. As of now around 1 lb per week. The way I look at it is - coming off slower means it is body fat!! Plus I lift weights 5-6 days/week.
I’ll be 50 in a few weeks…Lord knows what my hormones are up to. Lol

(Stephen W) #54

My wife and I took the Keto challenge (8 weeks now), after seeing a couple family members lose a considerable amount of weight and the way it made them feel now. We are all in our late 40’s (including the 2 family members who have done Keto for over 7-8 months now) and no more than 8lbs over weight for me and 35lbs for my wife. We got on keto with 100% commitment still as of today, with no cheat days or slip ups. 1st week and a half was heck on the over-all feeling it gave us, but we weathered through it. After 2 weeks, I lost 4 lbs and my wife lost 8 lbs. Over-all body feels way better for both of us. My wife reads a lot about keto and is discouraged about the amount of weight she lost, compared to others in the 1st couple weeks. We decided to go hang with the family members who had been on Keto for the 7-8mos. and just to see them up close and lets just say WOW! They opened my wife’s eye’s. People who lose 20-40 lbs were more than likely way overweight. Which means they are going to lose water weight 1st and if you are huge, it will be a big amount. We did not have the water weight to lose, so the weight lose for us will be smaller in the beginning. We are pulling 1-2 lbs a week now (me 1, her 2). Inches around the waist are becoming noticeable. Our family members said, they noticed the biggest difference within the 4/5 month range. They too were only dealing with 25lbs - 40lbs overweight at most. My wife and I are going past the 8 week mark now and we are feeling good. I had to beg her to STOP weighing herself daily. I do about once every couple weeks. We have had a couple friends now “tried” the keto diet and they had got off as quick as they go on and 1 has attempted 2 more times not. They can’t handle the feeling of the change you will get once you take away 100% sugars and enriched flours. It can be painful (in a sense), but it does pass. Mine took almost 2 weeks and my wife was over the hump after her 1st week. We are going to Keto on, lol~!!!

(Kristie Clements) #55

I have been Keto for just under 2 months. I lost 15 pounds in the first 3 weeks and 10 pounds over the last 5 weeks. I plan to begin exercising soon to boost my weight loss. 25 down, 100 to go…

(Janelle) #56

A great success so far! Read up on it. Exercise may not accelerate your weight loss. It will help you metabolically but may not help with actual pounds or fat lost.

I started losing weight right away. But I’ve stalled several times. The way I look at a stalled weight loss isn’t necessarily as a failure…it’s sort of like when Richard on the podcast would mention your body’s homeostasis. Different medical conditions and medications can also alter your metabolism.

I have a good friend who also does keto. She’s lost almost 50 lb since June of last year, but she’s been frustrated lately having been stalled for about a month. However, she has hypothyroidism and PCOS. Just the hypothyroidism alone will mess with weight loss. She’s still following the mantra of “keep calm & keto on.” She went back to tracking her macros and discovered that she was accidentally eating too much protein. So since going back to the basics (i.e., tracking macros each day), she lost 2 lb last week. Major victory!

RIght now, overall, I’m losing weight faster than my DH. He’s a type 2 diabetic whereas I’ve got a normal A1C…a few months ago, it was 5.8 (so right into the ‘insulin resistant’ window). He’s consistently losing weight…he tends to stall for a week and then drops 2 lb all at once. I expect that as I get closer to my goal weight, the weight loss will slow.

(Kristie Clements) #58

@CatGirl thank you for the wisdom. I need to begin exercise regardless of weightloss potential to get some endurance and stamina back so I can keep up with my three boys. I look forward to any positive effects it will have on me.

(Liz Ellen) #59

Right on, Cindy! I committed to a three month trial on keto. I’m two months in. I’m not exactly sure where I started, either. Had a doctor’s appointment in December and weighed 227. This morning, I was 200. I was recently able to get into jeans I haven’t been able to wear for years. There are all bootcut and not skinny jeans, LOL, but I’m OK with that.

I will continue to month three, then having a bunch of labs done. Hoping for good news. I had been knocking on diabetes’ door.

(Lisa marie t) #60

I’m 50 menopausal n I thought n stressed about how far behind I am in weight loss compared to others… I’m a year and month into keto well last month n feb in low carb due to gallbladder attacks
I am 64 lbs down and 70 inches gone
I got down to 70 lb loss but gained 7 lbs from carbs
I had surgery yesterday I’m giving myself 10 days to heal then back on keto I get discouraged I had my son hide the scale
I’m going to go for 77lb more loss and I will do it in my own time
Like you will
It’s gonna be ok , one day at a time n do it for u n don’t compare :blush: