Please share weight loss timelines

(Christine Flack) #21

when did you notice results?

(Christine Flack) #22

for zero carb what veggies did you eat?

(Christine Flack) #23

same! lost 4 FAST, but gained it all back. what carb app do you use? i’ve yet to find one i like. i really do think i am fine with the carbs though, and i am making ketones. 10 weeks /16 lbs is great and totally realistic expectation. I guess thats what need to know is that sometimes it takes a month or more to really see measurable results.

(Janelle) #24

Zero carb is typically carnivore. Not usually for everyone.

I have practically eliminated all veggies. I actually did it for two reasons. #1. I did a 3 day egg/bacon fast a couple times just to see if it would help with budging the scale (and it DEFINITLELY DID… and I didn’t gain it back)… and then #2. I realized all the broccoli and cauliflower I was eating was giving me FODMAP problems, plus I can SO easily overeat cauliflower which increases my carbs. Spinach doesn’t bother me, and it’s one of the best vegetables so I do sometimes still eat spinach. Anyway, a lot of people on keto are religious about needing to eat vegetables, and that’s fine, but from the research I’ve done, I’m confident I am not depriving myself of minerals by eating enough meat. I wouldn’t call myself carnivore, but I’m pretty darn close, and there’s a lot of good research on that!

(mole person) #26

I started two years ago at 132 lbs with 25 pounds to lose that I’d gained from age 40-50. The last ten pounds of which had hit me super fast when I started menopause. I did lose the first 10 pounds fairly quickly but then stalled out. I’ve had to make several tweaks along the way but Keto got me to the slimmest I’ve been since I was in my mid 20’s. I’m currently 106.6 lbs and still losing although soon I’ll have to change my eating to stop further losses.

There is a common misconception among people starting this way of eating that you have to eat to a fat macro. You don’t and you shouldn’t. Fat is your energy source. It’s there to replace the energy that you are no longer getting from carbs. However, the way keto works is that once you get fat adapted your body will happily take some of that fat off your BODY instead of off your plate. So only eat enough fat so that you are not hungry. Let your body dictate that.

No one who is trying to LOSE fat on a ketogenic diet should be actively trying to fill out a fat macro. The only people who need to are those who are NOT trying to lose fat.

So, the hard rule is eat less than 20g of carbs. I’m currently doing zero carbs too.
Moderate protein. Mine is typically between 35 and 65 grams.
And Fat to satiation. Only to satiation. You don’t need to add globs of it to everything if you don’t want to. My macro for fat is 110 grams. I usually eat between 75 and 100 grams and it’s all just from regular food fats, some fats for cooking in, and cream in my coffee.

(Cindy) #27

Christine, I’d done a lot of research and reading before starting keto, so I knew it was more about regulating hormones and getting back to metabolic health. It’s not really meant to be a weight loss diet, although that’s why so many try it in the first place.

When I started, I committed to 4 months of sticking to keto as much as I could (I started early November, 2018 so had the holidays to deal with, some trips, etc). I didn’t say “I’ll stick to it IF I lose x amount of pounds.” I knew that it would take TIME so I said “4 months, no matter what, then I’ll decide again from there.”

So I didn’t even weigh at the beginning or for the first 2 months…so I can’t tell you when I started to lose weigh or even for sure how much I’ve lost. My last doctor’s appt in 2017, I weighed 225. I’m pretty sure, judging by my clothing, that by the time I started keto, I was up to 235, maybe even 240. Last time I weighed in late January, I was at 214. So anywhere from 10-25 lbs in 3 months.

Think about that. I might have only lose ~3lbs/MONTH. Might have been 8lbs/month, which would be amazing. But nothing like the pound/DAY that some people talk about.

More importantly, I feel better in my own skin. I’m wearing jeans that I couldn’t fit into last year, managed to at least button and zip my smallest jeans the other day. No chance of wearing those yet, though…way too tight, but still, that’s one step closer.

I have probably 50lbs more that I’d like to lose, but honestly, if I stayed right here, I’d be ok. My 4 months is over tomorrow, but I’ll KCKO.

The gist of all this? You have to focus on the other benefits of keto, too. If you’re doing it just for weight loss, then when you lose the weight, you’ll go back to your former way of eating and just gain it back again.

(Jennibc) #28

Mine is a little different - over a long period of time. I got the fitbit app back in 2016 about the same time I took a leap of faith and went higher fat (don’t be skeptical because as you can see from the graph, that, added to the ‘no grain’ was one of my biggest initial drops). I had to go back through old weight watchers weigh in records and diet journals where I weighed in to get the older numbers. I dropped regular consumption of grains in 2010 and you can see there was an initial small drop but then I leveled out for years. The decision to give up sugar last March was because I’d hit 200 again after being below it for over a year. I started doing ‘keto’ in late May or so after I gave up regular consumption of fruit. That was really the only thing left. As you can see it’s been a downward trend with no flattening out since then. The goal I put in for myself was 150. Almost there!

(Virginia ) #29

I started Aug. 4, 2018

(Mary) #30

And sometimes it takes waaaaay longer… I started keto in Jan 2018 at 220. From then until Sept/18 I bounced between 224 and 218, never higher, never lower. For 8 1/2 months. And at just over 100 lbs of fat (per DEXA scan) on my 5’ 7" frame, it’s not like there weren’t any fat stores to pull from… Talk about frustrating :frowning_face:. On the other hand, my acid reflux resolved itself, as did the serious binging I’d been doing for close to 40 years. Then, by the end of Sept, with absolutely no change in what I was eating, the weight started to drop. I’m at 194 this morning.

So yeah, it’s slow but it is happening. I’d recommend doing a search on “find your why” or something like that. It reminds one that there are lots of good reasons to keto besides weight loss.

(Charlotte) #31

I’m 37, sw 247, cw 215, goal 150, perimenopausal. I’ve been keto 13 weeks (Dec 1st). My bf is down 8%. I’ve had ups and downs by stay the course. The less fat you have the slower the progress will be so I know it will slow down the closer to my goal I get. I just have an over abundance currently. Hang in there. Keto works from the inside out starting with building new cells. It takes time and patience which is the hardest part. Like @cw2001 said above, I didn’t decide to commit to keto for weight loss. I looked at it like a perk. What made me commit was sustainability. If I was going to do to this for the rest of my life I had to make sure I could stick to it. Luckily it encompasses a lot of my favorite foods so it has been good. I didn’t want another “diet” that I wouldn’t stick to. Keto I can maintain.

[quote=“Monurse, post:13, topic:78662”]
I put my scale away for several months lol it’s not natural for the body to lose weight. [i don’t know why this quote doesn’t look right…sorry!]

This is such a crucial point that no one discusses. Our systems seek homeostasis above all, for safety and preservation of life. When we start to lose weight, it’s a crisis and our systems will do what it takes to stop it.

Patience is the key. What if you never lose any more weight. Will you go back to eating carbs knowing you might be making yourself sicker?

(Janelle) #33

This is pretty amazing for 13 weeks, by the way.

(MelissaH) #34

So true @misshannah!!! If there is an imbalance in the body anywhere it will put it’s energy into that first. This is why weightloss isn’t linear. Paying attention to your body takes practice. Heck it took me months to figure out that eating cheese makes my ankles swell🤔 no more dairy for this girl for awhile

(Christine Flack) #35

if i never lost weight, I would not go back to bad carbs and processed sugar but would go back to eating lean proteins and whole grains because if i don’t lose weight ever it would seem this way of eating is not for my body.

(Charlotte) #36

Thank you! I’ve made great strides once I stopped stressing over how much weight I was or wasn’t losing. Letting go of the need to control every aspect of my keto journey thus far and just going with the flow has been so psychologically freeing and in turn increases my progress toward my goal.

(MelissaH) #37

Weightloss aside how are you feeling? I know it wasn’t your question for this thread but keto is about SO much more then weightloss. What does a typical day of eating? How much weight do have to lose?

(MelissaH) #38

This!!! If only we all this attitude everyday!!!

(Christine Flack) #39

I want to lose 20 lbs. typical things i am eating: coffee with HC sometimes butter, arugula with butter and EVOO, cheese, avacodo, eggs, meat, veggies with butter, almonds. non sweetened coconut flakes…once and again a bite of Lilly’s stevia chocolate.

overall i do feel good except when i put on my jeans and they are not any looser! LOL.

My jeans also aren’t fitting much different (I started in earnest Jan 2)! I have way more weight I want to lose – my body may have different ideas :slight_smile:

We’re eating very similarly, too.

However, I know that I’m in this forever because sugar and starch deranged my system to the point where my body’s normal processes stopped working right and I stored a bunch of fat under my skin and probably around my organs. So, I’m working to keep insulin low and heal the damage I did. If I can’t burn off any more fat at least I know I’m not likely to develop full-blown Type 2 diabetes. And my moods are better and my skin is better and my sleep is better. That’s why I was asking what you will do if you don’t lose weight. I don’t really see any better option than what I’m doing (for myself), and I don’t know at what point I would decide to stop. Someone in this thread didn’t see weight loss for 9 months! Nine months!!