Please Name High Sodium Foods

(Athena) #1

I started Keto August 1st. I’ve always gotten migraines, but for the last many years they have been very controlled as I take a preventative med for them. However the last week or more they’ve been coming like crazy. After researching the forum I figured it was probably an electrolyte issue, so I tried letting pink salt dissolve on my tongue. It’s been working wonders stopping the migraines! But the migraines do keep coming many times a day.

I think I saw on the forum that we need 5,000-10,000mg sodium per day. I use MyFitnessPal and it says I’m getting maybe 1,200mg or so, so no wonder. (This isn’t counting all the pink salt I’ve been eating.)

I did a google search for high sodium foods in an effort to find foods I could add to my diet, but it turned up a lot of carbage. I did find pickles, though. Can you all please suggest some high sodium foods to add to my diet?

(Ren) #2

Pickles, Olives, Mustard, bacon, cured meats like pepperoni/salami are a few.

Then you can also add salt to anything/everything you put in your mouth. Lightly salt your water, coffee or anything you drink. Salt all the food you make.

Bone broth is an easy way to sneak in a lot of sodium. So is keto-aide. Those two are lifesavers.

(KCKO, KCFO) #4

Pink salt counts, start tracking it if you are concerned about your sodium intake, it is the sodium that matters, some salt has carbage additives.

Aawa had a good list to start. I’d add seaweed and the fish, here is a handy listing for the fish:

Top Twenty List - Highest sodium Content per 100g
Below is a basic list for sodium in fish and shellfish for the top 20 fish and shellfish. A more comprehensive list for the top items can be found at the bottom of the page along with different servings.

1. Fish, mackerel, salted 4450mg (278%RDA)
  2. Fish, salmon, chinook, smoked, (lox), regular 2000mg (125%RDA)
  3. Fish, caviar, black and red, granular 1500mg (94%RDA)
  4. Mollusks, clam, mixed species, cooked, moist heat 1202mg (75%RDA)
  5. Crustaceans, crab, alaska king, cooked, moist heat 1072mg (67%RDA)
  6. Fish, whitefish, mixed species, smoked 1019mg (64%RDA)
  7. Crustaceans, shrimp, mixed species, cooked, moist heat 947mg (59%RDA)
  8. Fish, herring, Atlantic, kippered 918mg (57%RDA)
  9. Fish, herring, Atlantic, pickled 870mg (54%RDA)
  10. Crustaceans, crab, alaska king, imitation, made from surimi 841mg (53%RDA)
  11. Crustaceans, crab, alaska king, raw 836mg (52%RDA)
  12. Mollusks, scallop, mixed species, imitation, made from surimi 795mg (50%RDA)
  13. Fish, salmon, chinook, smoked 784mg (49%RDA)
  14. Fish, haddock, smoked 763mg (48%RDA)
  15. Mollusks, cuttlefish, mixed species, cooked, moist heat 744mg (47%RDA)
  16. Fish, sturgeon, mixed species, smoked 739mg (46%RDA)
  17. Fish, sablefish, smoked 737mg (46%RDA)
  18. Crustaceans, shrimp, mixed species, imitation, made from surimi 705mg (44%RDA)
  19. Crustaceans, crab, queen, cooked, moist heat 691mg (43%RDA)
  20. Mollusks, scallop, (bay and sea), cooked, steamed 667mg (42%RDA)

Read more at http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/fish-high-in-sodium.php#KjiEQRqKub8egPBf.99

(Athena) #5

I also feel in a real bind because I’m so worried about taking in too much protein and sodium seems to be in foods with protein. I stopped eating bacon or pork with my eggs at breakfast in order to lower my protein.

@Rian I’m going to make bone broth next week. I just don’t have containers yet to store it in.

(Allie) #6

Just add it to your meals.

(Athena) #7

@Shortstuff, I do add it to my meals, and always have. I LOVE salt. I’m still getting many migraines per day.

(Ren) #8

How is your intake of the other electrolytes such as potassium and magnesium?

(Athena) #9

I don’t know. How can I tell?

I thought I needed to increase my sodium because when I do eat pink salt alone, my migraines go away. Also, I thought I read or heard that getting enough sodium helps process potassium and magnesium, or something?

(Ren) #10

Track your food/drink and check out the micro nutrients of what you consume. Sodium, potassium, and magnesium are all important for your body to have. On the Ketogenic way of eating, your body flushes the electrolytes more easily so ketoers typically have to consume more than a person not on keto.

Brenda Zorn also has a recipe for ketoade which you can use to help suppliment your electrolytes.