Please Help Me Figure Out Why I Am Not Losing!?!?

conversationstarters
keto
newbies
food

(CGR) #1

Hi All!

I have a chart that I can share (wont let me post) that has been showing my daily macros for EVERYTHING I have put in my mouth since the end of December. Can anyone PLEASE explain why I still gain weight, or am not losing like I should?

Is the high fat not for my body type?

Too high or too low of a protein intake?

Carbs not right for me? The totals you see are All carbs not net.

I appreciate any and all productive feedback. If you would like more details, I use the Lose It App so I have everything documented, even down to recipes of custom dishes.

Since you cant see the information directly,

Weight 280, Female, 5’7"
Goals:
Protein - 102g or 25%
Carbs - 20g or 5%
Fat - 127g or 70%

I don’t reach those numbers regularly, but the carbs, I stay below

Thanks in Advance :slight_smile:

That’s around 1500-1600 calories? Is that enough, based on your height and weight? Are you exercising on top of that? How many meals are you having and at what times?

(Ken) #3

Carbs are fine,reduce your fat down to around 60% and don’t eat until you’re actually hungry.

(Frank) #4

Unless my math is wrong that’s about 2 weeks. This is a long term process (6-8 weeks for most) to get fat adapted and a lifelong lifestyle change for many who get through that. You are tracking which is great. Now it’s time to relax and KCKO. Keep the faith. It works.

(CGR) #5

Yes, that was the goal since I read for my weight that I should aim for 102g of protein, and if protein should be 20%-25% I ended up at around 1630 calories but again, usually the protein falls short to about 90s some 80s and the fat is usually only in the 90s or super low 100s. I usually sit around the 1100-1300 range sometimes I make it up there

(CGR) #6

I wish you could see my chart. If I reduced to 60% wouldn’t I end up with too much protein? I read Protein kicks you out

(CGR) #7

Thank you for your encouragement. As an overview, on Dec 27th, I was 286.9 and as of this morning, I am 275.8, but you would be amazed to see all of the up and down, considering that I have kept my carbs low

(Jenn) #8

What type of meals are you eating and how many times a day are eating? This way of eating can be tricky in the beginning, I know I was sure confused at first :slight_smile:

(Ken) #9

Possibly for some, but it’s more of a generalization that certainly doesn’t apply to all. Try it for a couple of weeks.

(CGR) #10

So… I have been trying to integrate the intermittent fasting as well. Since I started over the holidays, I was able to sleep in a little more and didnt eat my first meal until 1 or so, then not eat again until like 6 or 7 and be fine because I wasnt hungry, so for the most part 2 meals but when i read about the amount of protein I should be having, I tried to make 3 meals. I havent had the urge to snack.

(Amanda) #11

I had the same question earlier this week.

The advice I was given was to not worry about the ratio/percentages as much as the grams. IMO, wait until you are adapted to mess around with your macros too much. For now, focus on getting what you need, learning the lifestyle and keep in mind that weight loss is not linear. Your chart will not move in a straight line!

I didn’t catch your age, but we are similar in stats (you’re taller, lucky!) I know for me it has been a lot of little ups and downs, but I think as long as the trend is down then you are on the right path. Be patient. I always think to myself when I get discouraged “how long did it take you to gain this?” I didn’t gain weight in a week or month, or even a year. It might take longer to lose it. This helps me keep things in perspective. :smiley:

(CGR) #12

Kind of reminds me of how it was on Ideal Protein. It was a very good program and I lost a lot of weight. It focused on high protein, low fat and low carb, but it did keep you in ketosis. I dont want to have to go back because it can get expensive.

So it sounds like you are losing weight. Weight is going to fluctuate that’s normal.

(CGR) #14

You are correct and thank you for the encouragement. I am 36

(Amanda) #15

I’m 39, so we are very close in stats.

ETA: Be proud of your accomplishments and try not to be tempted to compare your path to others (It’s hard, I know). Also, we can’t see what our bodies are healing/fixing/repairing on the inside. When I am plateauing, I tend to think that my body is taking some time to do some much-needed repairs and maintenance, before we get back to the hard work of recompositioning my bod.

(CGR) #16

I appreciate all of your feedback! Another issue is that I am concerned that I may be taking in something that throws me out. For example, there is an alfredo sauce that I made and I eat it with either Wild Caught Shrimp or Tyson Oven Baked Chicken Pieces (3oz) and I put it on top of a cup and a half of zucchini “noodles”. Everytime I eat it which has been 3 times, the color gets lighter on my ketone testing strip but later in the day it will get back dark again. Maybe there is something in there I shouldnt be eating?

(CGR) #17

How has it been for you? Are you loosing consistently?

(CGR) #18

OK, I think I can post a photo now!

Thoughts?

(Cindy) #19

Wait, so you’ve lost 11 lbs in about 2 weeks? Why do you say you’re not losing? That’s over 5lbs per week.

I understand that you’re eager, but keep in mind that you want this to be sustainable. Trying to IF too soon, worrying about every keto strip, etc, is not really a lifestyle (I think) that you want to maintain day in and day out.

General guidelines are to eat <20 g of total carbs per day. Don’t be afraid of fat, but you don’t have to add in a bunch of excess fat either because your body will pull it from your stores. Eat to satiety, don’t eat when hungry. Let the meal sizes, “macros,” and IF happen naturally.

(Amanda) #20

How often do you weigh? Am I right that you are about 3 weeks in?

After about 3 months I moved to weighing daily, waiting a week was too stressful and I was anxious before weighing, feeling that if the number wasn’t down, my week was wasted. Now I weigh daily, understanding that the number will fluctuate (sometimes as much as +/- 3 lbs a day) but keeping in mind the general trend. My weight has been consistently on the downward path, sometimes faster than others. I keep records of both my daily weight (Cronometer) and weekly (on a google doc), just because I am a math geek and I love data.

What do you do for activity or exercise?