Perfect pork belly

food

(MooBoom) #1

I’ve been busy in the kitchen so you get two recipes today folks!

This pork belly flies in the face of everything I’ve ever been told about how to make tender pork belly with brilliant crackling. Somehow though, it works!!!

Full (grudging) credit to my fiancé for coming up with this method. I might have MAYBE sat on my high horse the first time he did it, and told him he was ruining a perfect piece of meat- then had to eat my words (and, some seriously good pork belly!).

He’s graciously allowed me to share his method with y’all.

COOKING TIME:
5 min prep
Overnight preferred or min 8 hr drying time
2 hrs 15 mins cooking time

WHAT YOU NEED
2kgs pork belly:

• it is critical to choose a good piece or you might as well not bother. You want lots of fat, and in particular you NEED a good layer of fat directly under the skin. If it doesn’t have that, don’t bother- find a better cut elsewhere.
  • choose a piece that has been boned (for convenience when carving) and try and find a piece that is even in thickness all over.

1 cup salt

That’s it. I’m not kidding.

METHOD
Pat dry the skin, and cover in salt.
Place in the fridge on a rack positioned over a tray, uncovered, overnight (or for at least 8 hours).
Preheat oven to 160°C fan forced.
Scrape the salt off and thoroughly dry the skin with a paper towel.
Get a large baking tray, lightly oil the base.
Place the pork belly, skin side down (yes…you read that right!!!) and roast for 90 mins.
Remove the pork from the oven, turn the heat up to 200°C fan forced.
Flip the pork belly skin side up, and place on a wire rack over a tray. Return to the oven and cook for another 45 mins.
Remove from oven, allow to rest for 20 mins.

Carve with a serrated knife and enjoy with whatever keto side dish you like- or just on its own!

It is incredibly tender, crispy and delicious. Even the cats love it!

What did you Keto today? Part Deux!

Mmmmmm … pork belly … (I’m with you there, kitteh - HAND IT OVER, HOOMAN!)

(Carl Keller) #3

I love how this went from looking like pie and ended up looking like pizza. All your food pics look amazing. Do you by chance have any rooms for rent? :smiley:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

Where’s the second recipe? The pork looks amazing. I saw another similar recipe that used a whole uncut bacon slab. :cowboy_hat_face::bacon::bacon::bacon::bacon::bacon::bacon::bacon::bacon::bacon:

(MooBoom) #5

I’d accidentally put it in food, just moved it to recipes!

(MooBoom) #6

Haha thanks! I love cooking. No rooms for rent, but I promise I’ll keep posting my successful recipes here :blush: pretty sure I posted some more early/mid 2018!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #7

Try buying ground pork, add pepper, salt, sage, red pepper or spices that fit whatever sausage style you want. :man_cook: