Broccoli, mince and cheese Casserole

food

(MooBoom) #1

It’s been a very hot summer in Australia, too hot to get in the kitchen and cook everyday. So I’ve been making this, which feeds my fiancé and I for a week of dinners plus leftovers for the freezer. You will need a REALLY big roasting tray or casserole dish for this one, as it’s a LOT of food.
The macros are pretty great, even though the only sausage mince I could find was quite carby (6g per 100g). If you can find a lower carb sausage mince, the carbs per serve will be even better.

Broccoli, Meat & Cheese Casserole

INGREDIENTS:
1kg Regular Mince
500g Chicken Mince
500g Sausage Mince
3 large heads of Broccoli, cut into florets and stalks cut into bite size pieces
200g bacon rashers, rind trimmed, cut into bite size pieces
1 medium brown onion diced
1 bunch of kale, removed from stalk and roughly chopped
500g full fat cream cheese
80g grated Parmesan cheese
½ cup cottage cheese full fat
100g thick cream
1.5 cups perfect italiano pizza blend grated cheese (one part Parmesan, one part mozzarella, 1 part cheddar if you want to make your own)
250g Mozarella cheese thinly sliced
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tablespoons Olive oil

METHOD
Prep all your ingredients.
Preheat oven to 180C.
Place the broccoli into a large steamer and steam.
In a large pan, saute onion in one tbsp olive oil until translucent. Add bacon, cook for 5 mins until starting to turn golden. Add chicken mince, 1sp onion powder, 1 tsp garlic powder and sauté until well cooked through.
Transfer Bacon, onion and chicken mince to a very large mixing bowl.
Fry the beef mince and remaining 1tsp of garlic and onion powder. Once cooked, strain out of the pan (leave juices and fat in the pan) and transfer to large bowl with chicken/bacon/onion.
Check your broccoli, it should be cooked by now- you want it to be JUST tender. Do not overcook it! Strain once done and layer in your casserole tray/dish.
Saute the kale in the pan with the beef juice. Once cooked down and soft, scatter evenly over the broccoli.
Add remaining olive oil to the pan, sauté the sausage mince until well cooked and broken up into small pieces. Remove from pan once cooked, add to bowl.
Turn heat under frypan to medium. Add cream cheese, cottage cheese and cream to the pan. Break the cheese down with a wooden spoon until you have a sauce- add the parmesan and stir through until melted.
Mix the creamy sauce into the bowl of mince.
Layer the meat mixture over the broccoli and kale, add half your perfect italiano grated cheese and roughly fold the ingredients together.
Top with mozzarella cheese slices and scatter gaps with remaining perfect italiano grated cheese.
Bake uncovered for 30-45 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
Allow to sit for 20 mins out of the oven to cool down, then serve on its own or with a crisp green salad.

Macros per serve (20 serves)
Kcals: 457
Protein: 36g
Fat: 33g
Carbs (net): 4g

The serving sizes may seem very small, but neither my fiancé nor I can eat a larger portion without feeling uncomfortably full. The combination of protein and fat is highly satiating. It’s also ridiculously delicious!

Will keep in the fridge for 5 days. Freezes, thaws and re-heats like a dream.

Perfect pork belly
(Laurie) #2

Looks wonderful! The sausage meat would add a nice flavor. Thanks for the recipe.

(The “like” heart isn’t showing up, so I can’t thank your post. Maybe later.)

(Running from stupidity) #3

Hmmm. Gonna check with my butcher at the Queen Vic Markets to see if he’s got any solutions.

(Carl Keller) #4

This looks amazing!

(MooBoom) #5

It is! We’ve had it 5 nights out of 7 for two weeks solid and look forward to it every day. Our weight loss has been consistent eating this too and we feel very nourished and energetic.

(Carl Keller) #6

I reckon the smell of it filling the house is pretty compelling.

I will definitely give this a try. Thank you for sharing this.

(Running from stupidity) #7

WHAT IS THIS HERESY?

1.5 cups perfect italiano pizza blend grated cheese (one part Parmesan, one part mozzarella, 1 part cheddar if you want to make your own)

We’ve been pretty happy with the Coles version too.

Freezes

Aye, that was first thought. A stack of freezer meals.

(MooBoom) #8

Just the rind! Leave the fat on. I find leaving the rind on doesn’t have a good textural outcome in this dish. Also I’m totally deep frying those surplus rinds in bacon fat and eating them as cooks treat, yeah? :joy:

(Running from stupidity) #9

OK, you’re let off. This time.

Talking about cooks treats - my wife is smashing the lard leavings I ended up with after the last couple of lard makings, and she took some on a picnic with a friend on Saturday, and her friend was going nuts about them - “these are exactly what we use in #insertasiandishesherethativeforgottenbecausenotreallylistening back home in #insertasiancountryherethativeforgottenbecausenotreallylistening!”

Gotta love living here, so many food influences around.

(Carl Keller) #10

Sounds like something that would go well in a salad.

@juice ask your butcher for the fattiest bacon possible. Here in the US it’s easy to find the fattiest bacon by just looking for the stuff that’s dirt cheap.

(Running from stupidity) #11

The lard leavings are awesome in a salad, for sure. And there’s enough of them that you can’t eat too many without becoming crook, which helps them get there :slight_smile:

@juice ask your butcher for the fattiest bacon possible. Here in the US it’s easy to find the fattiest bacon by just looking for the stuff that’s dirt cheap.

Aye, for my bacon I get bacon offcuts, as they’re more interesting that the ‘A-grade’ packs. Sadly, they’re also more expensive :slight_smile:

(Carl Keller) #12

That’s surprising since everyone knows that fat is bad for us. They should be giving the offcuts away!

(Running from stupidity) #13

Sadly, my mate that I buy it off is too smart for that :slight_smile:

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #14

Recipe looks great i will be giving this a try next week.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #15

I think your butcher is taking advantage of you juice from all the posts about him raising the cost of stuff you buy! It sounds personal :wink:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #16

Okay so I saw the picture of this @MooBoom in the “What did you…” thread and I thought, that looks like something cool to make for something different. I’ve got a bunch of cheese, broccoli, sausage and ground beef. Then I looked here and saw 25 or so ingredients and said “I don’t have that!”. So I’m making a simplified version and we’ll see how it comes out, in the oven now. I’ll post the result :man_cook:.

(MooBoom) #17

I’m famous for overcomplicating recipes, you should see the spaghetti bol recipe I posted a week or so ago you’d flip :joy:. Problem is, I throw everything I have that I think would taste good together, and then I don’t know how to strip it back! So if your stripped back version is delicious definitely post it up here for other folks :+1:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #18

Well it got a bit more brown than I wanted but it was good. I made about 1/4 the amount and used some different cheeses and mushrooms instead of kale. I made it all in one pan cooking the meat, mushrooms and then adding cream cheese to melt put in the cream and added ghost pepper jack cheese and some Cajun seasoning with extra thyme and fresh oregano. Topped with mozzarella. It wasn’t as creamy looking as your version, it needed more sauce but it was a quick easy dinner with one cooking pan and one baking dish. I will try something closer to your version when I have more of the stuff on hand. Thanks :cowboy_hat_face:

(Running from stupidity) #19

There’s a bunch of them in the meat hall at the markets, and once once started selling it, they all did, and then demand rose, and then I started buying other stuff as a result :slight_smile:

Pretty sure I got done over a bit today with the lamb cutlets not being as cheap as they said, but still a decent price, so It’ll do.

(MooBoom) #20

It looks pretty delicious all the same! Good work!