Perfect hard boiled egg

There’s a ton of recipes on the internet that all claim to be the perfect way to cook and peel a hard boiled egg. I didn’t see one here from searching, so…

What’s your favorite way? I can’t seem to get the green lining around the yolk to go away all the time and they’re usually hard to peel.

(flyferretschef) #2

@Brenda has the method for perfect hard-boiled eggs. Actually, you steam them… I use a slightly different method for soft-boiled and those always turn out perfectly. But Brenda has the details for hard-cooked. :slight_smile:

(Carol E. ) #3

I’ve tried many methods; steaming won. So easy to make and peel for the week. I think the white part of the egg is more tender.

I have not tried the jar method for peeling. I thought there was a thread here on it but I didn’t find it.

(Jacquie) #4

There are lots of different methods out there. What most folks (maybe not all) agree on is that fresh eggs do not work that well. I’ve never had a problem cooking or peeling them. I bring a pot of water to a boil, lower the temperature, lower the eggs into the water with a wooden spoon, bring to a simmer, partially covered for about 20 minutes or so. Making hard boiled eggs is more of an art than a science, imo. I eat lots of eggs. :slight_smile:

cover eggs about an inch over with cold water. Add 2 Tablespoons of baking powder. get water up to a boil. turn down heat to med and simmer for 12 minutes. Pour out hot water, and add cold to cover. peel eggs when slightly warm. easy to peel, and no green

(Meeping up the Science!) #6

I just use my instant pot and do this:

Instant Pot Recipes

Thanks for all the replies. I’m giving the steam method a go now.

(dawn.hakala) #8

I got myself an Instant Pot… I cant honestly say I have ever tasted a hardboiled egg so creamy and rich…I dont get the green line either this way :grin:

(dawn.hakala) #9

Aren’t these like the best!!!

(Jane Reed) #10

Slowly bring eggs to a boil in water to cover. It does not need to be a hard, rolling boil. Turn off the heat, put a lid on the pan, and let sit for 11 -12 minutes. Transfer eggs to a bowl of cold water, refreshing the water if necessary.

I’ve heard the fresher the eggs, the harder they are to peel.

(Jacquie) #12

I’ve heard that, too, so I tried it and it was true for me. :slight_smile:

Same method I use @Buttonwillow, works perfectly every time

My mom used to have a steamer… for veggies and stuff. But, it had a “Tray” with holes sized so you could stand eggs up in it. We used to do soft “boiled” eggs in it… but I expect it would do hard too. No idea what the device was called.

A quick search finds this thing at amazon, cheap too. https://www.amazon.com/SimpleTaste-Steamer-Electric-Poacher-Capacity/dp/B01KNI9I74/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483378719&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=electric+egg+steamer&psc=1

(Jules Swart) #15

I’ll third @Buttonwillow and @Rookie for cooking, and say that the jar trick works great for peeling.

(markkloch) #16

So easy , put eggs in pot, cover 2" above eggs. Bring to rolling boil for 10 minutes. Remove from heat for 10 minutes. Run cold water under faucet , remove eggs. Let cool. Peels easily, no green, which means you over cooked the eggs.

(Guardian of the bacon) #17

Just did my first Instant Pot steamed hard boiled eggs. Came out perfect and peeled easily.
Manual setting
once up to temp steam for 5 min
turn off power let set under pressure 5 more minutes
release pressure and cool eggs immediately in cold water.
Peel once cooled.
Made 6. Converted 3 to deviled eggs and placed 3 in pickle juice for pickled egg experiment.

(Guardian of the bacon) #18

Deviled egg color is a bit ghastly cause I used stone ground mustard instead of yellow mustard.

I like mine yolks to have that fudge like texture to them and after a ton of experimenting with every type of method here is a foolproof way to get that amazing yolk.

1. Start off with room temperature eggs
  2. Boil water giving eggs about an inch of headspace. I use an induction cooktop set to 212°F
  3. Boil eggs maximum 3-4 at a time for 4 minutes
  4. Take eggs out of pot and let sit at room temperature for 30-40 mins then eat.

This method lets the egg whites slowly cook the yolk inside. You could cook the egg longer at a lower temperature via a sousvide but the whites don’t set correctly making it hard to peel. To fix that you could preboil egg for a minute then sous vide but that is way too much work for eggs.

My trick is to boil the water first and then add the cold eggs. 10 minutes should be enough. After they cool, the peel comes off easily.

The green is from cooking too long.