Perfect hard boiled egg

(Terri) #21

I have never had a bad peeling egg by using this method:
•bring water to a rolling boil
•place eggs in boiling water
•boil for 12 mins
•remove from water, submerge in ice/water for 5 mins

I have an electric kettle for heating water with an opening large enough to get my hand in with an egg in it and cook my eggs ala Alton Brown.

1. Put water in kettle
  2. Add eggs
  3. Turn on
  4. Set timer for 15 minutes ( this is tuned to my kettle for a nice soft set egg, alternatively wait until your kettle reaches a boil and set timer for 10-15 minutes after the kettle automatically turns off)
  5. Enjoy

Perfect eggs every time. Anything less than hard boiled, or quantities greater than 15 at a time and I use my immersion sous vide stick.

1- place eggs in saucepan with an inch or two of water
2- bring to boil
3- take pan off heat source, turn on timer at 10 minutes
4- after 10 minutes elapsed, pour off hot water, and then vigorously shake pan so that eggs bounce around and crackle their egg shells
5- place saucepan containing crackled eggs under cold stream of tap water, fill pan to the brim, let eggs sit in cold water until you are ready to peel them
6- peel eggs, crackled peels will come off easily

(Mary Anderson) #24

I have an egg cooker and this device gives me perfect boiled egg every time. Usually I love to taste boiled egg, and most of the time I make boiled egg recipe. https://foodgear.org/best-egg-cooker-reviews - Particularly I have bought my egg cooker from this page.

How to use this device to get perfect boiled egg:
Open the lid, put eggs, pour water, put down the lid, switch on. It take to boil egg almost 15 minutes and when the all egg boiled it automatically shut off and gives you a alert.

I immensely benefited using this device and every time I got the perfect boiled egg.

I’m usually anti unitaskers but I love my egg cooker. I have the Krups brand.

(Jeremy Storie) #26

If they have a green film you’re cooking them too long.

(Rebecca) #27

5-5-5 method in the pressure cooker!!
5 min on high in the cooker.
5 min natural release. Then manual release after time is up.
5 min in ice bath.

Super easy to peel, no green line and perfect every time. In the past two weeks I’ve done about 3 dozen eggs like this and I can’t get enough of them!!!

(Pete A) #28

Eggsactly!

(Brian) #29

Vega & Terri are pretty close to doing what I do.

• bring water to a boil (enough to completely cover the eggs plus a little)
  • place eggs into boiling water (I use the spaghetti server thingy to lower them gently)
  • boil for 14 minutes
  • remove from boiling water and rinse under cold water (usually in the same pot)
  • let sit in ice water for 5 to 10 minutes (usually in the same pot)
  • peel and eat or refrigerate

I rarely have eggs past a week or two old, often only a day or two, as in fresh out of the chicken. They really are difficult to peel when truly fresh. I’ve been through a lot of different methods and this is the one that is my go-to at this point. It’s not always perfect but it seems to do as well as any I’ve tried yet.

I have found that the time needed to cook the eggs in boiling water will vary by elevation. When I first tried this, I did it for 10 minutes as suggested by a friend. They weren’t done. And then I upped it to 12 minutes. Still not done. Then I upped it to 14 minutes and they’re about as perfect as they can get for hard boiled. I’m at about 2,000 ft elevation. A person at sea level would probably have perfect eggs at 10 minutes. I’m not sure how the times would be for someone up even higher.

• I put eggs in an empty pan,
  • add cold water & fill to about an inch above the eggs,
  • put the burner on high and wait until water starts to bubble (just before full boiling),
  • turn off the heat and put the lid on the pan
  • let sit for 17 minutes

…they come out perfect every time.

Wow it’s been a year since this post.

I’m stuck on steaming them in a rolling boil steamer for 13-14 minutes (from cold). Then immediately placing them in an ice water tub for however long. I’ve even forgotten about them, left them in the bath and put the whole tub in the fridge.

Works well for me! Now my daughter does it and makes deviled eggs quite a lot :slight_smile:

Thanks for all of the replies!

(Steve) #32

I use the same method as Nebulous - I originally found it here:

Now, I don’t use mustard in my deviled eggs. Here’s my “secret” recipe that everyone raves about (every family gathering, I’m pestered to make 5 or 6 dozen).

24 Eggs
9 slices of extremely crispy bacon
1 cup mayonnaise
6 tbsp thinly sliced green onions (or 6 onions, thereabouts - I tend to dip the extra in salt and devour)

Pulverize the bacon in a sandwich bag. Ideally, you want no bits bigger than 1/8-1/4".
Add yolks, mayo, bacon and onions to a big mixing bowl. Take your potato masher and kill it until it has the consistency of pudding.
Take another sandwich bag, cut one corner (about 1/4") and use it as an icing bag - filling it about 1/3 of the way between sets, squeezing the filling into the waiting eggs.

No paprika on top required…lots of colour thanks to the bacon and onions…and you really don’t want to cover up that bacon flavour!!

I always fry up the bacon the day of - so the fresh bacon grease makes its way into the paste.

One other tip - keep all of your egg whites in a dutch oven filled with water the entire time that you’re working.

Oh…and Snapware makes the best containers to transport your eggs. If you get them, dampen half a paper towel and place it under each tray to keep the eggs moist during storage/transport.

Part of the reason that people don’t like deviled eggs is that they’ve only had dry ones!! (they’re not good when they’re about as moist as chalk!!).

(Raj Seth) #33

OK - I chased the perfect boiled eggs for a long time. My perfect formula
1" water in the base of a steamer.
bring to boil. (takes a very short time) put eggs, any amount, in the steaming basket. cover.
12 mins for hard boiled, 6-9 minutes for soft or medium
remove from steamer - douse in ice-cold water.

peel with ease - start from the fat side. perfect eggs every time.

the cold water douse is essential.

Boiled egg is a misnomer - if you actually boil an egg, it comes out rubbery. Eggs should not be heated above 95dC. you say - “hey steam is 100dC - what gives?” the steam doesn’t have enough thermal mass to actually get the egg that hot.
After decades of chasing the perfect boiled egg - this method works perfectly every time.

Done

(brant kinnsch) #34

Alton Brown on food network suggests steaming eggs. I do this all the time and no green yokes and peel real easy. 12-14 minutes steaming time then dose in ice bath.

I steam my eggs in the instant pot. Using large eggs…one cup of water on bottom and eggs placed on rack over water. 3 minutes on high then release pressure and into an ice bath. Best eggs I have ever made.

My husband made fun of me but I got an egg cooker. Steams it perfectly. They’re like $13.

(Hoby Bradfield) #37

I’ve tried those “As Seen on TV” silicon egg cups… they worked really well, and the eggs popped right out!

(brant kinnsch) #38

I use the Alton Brown steaming method. I do about 16 jumbo eggs at a time because I hate not having something to eat that is quick. 14 minute steam then into ice bath. Easy to peel and they have the perfect yolk

(Margaret ) #39

Year ago I switched to the start in cold water, bring to a boil, cover and take off the heat for 13 minutes. In the last year I got fed up with how hard they were to peel, whether they were older or fresh eggs. I went online determined to find a better answer, and found something similar to your recipe. I’ve had no problem peeling them since. Guess sometimes Mama’s way is best.

(BenGilbert) #40

Or you can just blow the egg out of the shell. :slight_smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKwjoD_QIQI