Pain in back hips and butt at day 4 of extendedfast

(Cheryl Meadows) #101

So I got to test out my theory: I fasted for 5 days and my blood sugar was at 50 when I got out of bed. Sure enough I got that awful, excruciating pain, except this time it was also in my arms and upper back. I thought I was gonna die, it was really, really bad. So, I raised my blood sugar back up with some juice but the pain remained. With no lessening of the pain, I took a potassium and calcium pill, and also drank a green smoothie, and out of desperation took two motrin. Finally the pain left and I don’t know what actually helped.
I read Hypoglycemia affects potassium levels. So my next theory to test is, before going to bed each night when doing a fast, is to take a potassium and calcium pill. But for sure the LOW blood sugar is the catalyst.
Stretching did not help at all.

(Michelle) #102

Hi there, I was so thankful to find this site and this forum since I am experiencing horrible buttocks pain that shoots down my thighs. It sounds like what everyone else here is experiencing although I don’t have any lower back pain. I have fasted for many years every few months for up to three or four days and this time I try to seven day water fast. Everything was going very well up until the end of day 4 when I started experiencing the pain. It was so horrible by DAY6 that I couldn’t stand it anymore. I wasn’t getting good sleep because it hurt the most when I laid down as others are saying. It’s definitely not a caffeine thing because I don’t drink coffee or anything caffeinated. And I am not lean, I am about 40 pounds overweight so this definitely doesn’t just effect lean people as someone suggested. I got so close To reaching my seven day goal that I’m really disappointed about this unexpected setback.
Has anyone found out anything useful? I’ve been following the advice in Dr. Jason Fung’s book, the complete guide to fasting and although I’m not finished reading it yet I can’t find anything about this problem which really surprises me. The pain is constant…although it has gone from a nine down to seven since I stopped the fast two days ago (although I am still in ketosis).

(Michelle) #103

I watched this video and tried these exercises while lying in bed. I was in so much pain that I was about to get up and pace but I watched the video, did the exercises felt better (but far from pain-free) and was able to fall asleep. Other stretches hadn’t helped. I thought it was interesting because I was becoming fully convinced that the problem was in the bone… because it was so deep (the theory that white blood cells are being dumped and produced in the marrow etc.). Anyway, thank you for your help. I appreciated getting to sleep! : )

Hello everyone,

Just completed a 5 day fast (first one). I experienced exactly as discussed in this thread.

The fix for me was an coffee enema. Severe aches and pains on day 4, lower back, hips, legs. Pushed through but even after I broke my fast I still had pain 2 days after. I decided to do an enema. Immediately after first evacuation I felt completely fine. And for rest of day and sleeping that night was finally normal.

Hope this helps.

(Jenn) #105

I’m on day 2 of a 3 day water fast and I have extreme pain in my glute. Like someone is stabbing me. I put about 1/2 teaspoon of celtic sea salt in water, stirred until is was completely dissolved. The pain is completely gone and it’s been about 10 minutes since I drank it. The celtic sea salt I used is the one in the blue bag.