Pain in back hips and butt at day 4 of extendedfast

(Gurb Dhadwal) #61

I’ve just done 4 days and ignored my misses last night telling me eat or I’ll die lol. Just come back from the gym too. I’ve never felt better. Aches and pains are more or less gone and i have so much more flexibility and lost a lot of weight.

Going to do tmrw too.

Had the pain down the legs etc and just been popping the knots out. Never been so easy working on my trigger points.

(Nikki Jaimes) #62

I’m grateful to find this thread. I’m a tough cookie but I’m in tears with the pain in my glutes and legs and low back. Its throbbing like nothing I have felt before. I’m on day 5 of a water fast, and wanted to go 7. But I think i am cutting it short today. It started on day 4 for me. I have watched Dr. Palma’s videos and his wife was having the same pain. He explained it as old injury healing during fasting. Now that i see so many ppl experiencing this, i know its something else. I did 3-3 day fasts last month without pain. It definitely has to do with the deeper fasting/ detoxing/ stem sells/ white blood cells. I’m not sure. But that said, as much as I want to keep fasting, I cant cope with this pain and think the body probably is talking to me. I hope I can get past this in the future!!

(Gurb Dhadwal) #63

I agree with Dr Palma. Im not on day 6 and i spend 2 to 3 hours a day working on the trigger points where the pains are and for the first time in 12 plus years i feel so flexible and have so much more stretching ability. I’ve been trying to get to this stage for years. Honestly look into the trigger points. I only intended to do 5 days max but just going to keep going as everyday i feel better and better.

(Amy) #64

I had the same type of thing a couple weeks ago! small hard red bumps all over the tops of my thighs. Looked a lot like keratosis pilaris, which my daughter has (and improved with vit D and A supplements). I assumed it was some kind of deficiency. the yellow seed-like thing sounds like keratin, which is consistant with keratosis pilaris.
A couple months ago I had big red pustule-like spots all over my chest and arms, which I thought were related to toxin-release.

(Lisa Baltes Lewis) #65

Hello everyone. I am new to this site and excited to start. I have been fasting for years and whenever I fast I have horrible radiating pain down my butt, hips and legs. I finally figured out that it is caffeine withdrawal. I have been off caffeine for 3 months and i am currently on a 7 day water fast and I have had no pain. Test it by drinking a couple sips of black coffee and the pain will go away.

(Jake Buzzell) #66

I have had these excruciating pains as well (mainly lower back and hips). In my previous fasts, I had to stop at day two or three… it was just too painful! I’m currently on day 7 of a 21 day fast. The pain started yesterday (day 6). I was having a very hard time sleeping, but managed to use an electric hand massager to ease the pain. After reading your post, I think I’ll look into a physio ball. I’m pretty sure you are on to something here! I really want to keep going on this fast.

Cheers

(Tracy Ann) #67

I have experienced the AWFUL kidney/back pain, like painful liquid seeping into my butt, hips,upper thighs, groin, all the way to my knees. Had to stop a few fasts because of it. Continued researching. Another fast, and new pain…this time huge swelling & pain in my already very inflamed RA knees…more research…pseudogout…more research…
Here is what I have concluded. The uric acid overflow from the detox of the fast seeps, attacks joints, because it cannot be filtered out quickly enough. I saw a video on the snake diet site about “cooling the (uric acid overloaded) kidneys”. ACV WITH baking soda. Research found at TED.earthclinic.com said gout, also from uric acid flush overload, is cured regularly in other countries with ACV & Baking soda 2xday…ah ha! Tried it. PAIN & SWELLING (besides the RA) GONE (almost) first day! Since, I have had successful, KIDNEY & GOUT PAIN-FREE short fasts (3 days), & am into the 7th day of an extended fast now, being diligent with the electrolyte water, boron, & ACV/Baking soda (2×/day) & NO GOUT OR KIDNEY PAIN. Hope this may help you as well.

(hilarie) #68

Hunny. I FEEL your pain! Literally! I believe myself it’s from “over-worked” kidneys. Detoxing, Filter, Working, ect. I’m on day 8 of my fast and my Mid to Lower Back/Hips are killing me! I’ve found that a heating pad helps! And I put 1/2 tablespoon of FINELY GROUND (not chunky) Pink Himalayan Salt, mixed with only about 2oz of WARM water then taken as a “quick shot” works almost INSTANTLY! I cannot believe how fast it worked after hoursss of pain. Some say put if in your drink and sip throughout the day. :face_vomiting: I cannot sip on SALT WATER! :joy:
So I make as a small shot. (Get it over with) then a quick drink of my GOOD water after to kill taste! Trust me. It helps! Good Luck! *Namaste

(hilarie) #69

Hunny. I FEEL your pain! Literally! I believe myself it’s from “over-worked” kidneys. Detoxing, Filter, Working, ect. I’m on day 8 of my fast and my Mid to Lower Back/Hips are killing me! I’ve found that a heating pad helps! And I put 1/2 tablespoon of FINELY GROUND (not chunky) Pink Himalayan Salt, mixed with only about 2oz of WARM water then taken as a “quick shot” works almost INSTANTLY! I cannot believe how fast it worked after hoursss of pain. Some say put if in your drink and sip throughout the day. :face_vomiting: I cannot sip on SALT WATER! :joy:
So I make as a small shot. (Get it over with) then a quick drink of my GOOD water after to kill taste! Trust me. It helps! Good Luck! *Namaste

(Lauren Schuman) #70

Hey Everyone,

This is my first extended fast ever. I am up at 2 AM writing this because lying down brings nearly instant horrible pain in my butt and lower back! It started exactly on Day 4, along with neck pain. I slept only 2 hours that night, then slept better somehow on Day 5. tried to endure through it last night but it was so bad that I could not sleep AT ALL. I broke my fast early (day 6) today because I couldn’t take it. I started getting convinced I must be doing something wrong. Finding this thread is immensely comforting. Of course, now I’m bummed I didn’t just endure–but I can’t endure more than 1-2 nights of no sleep. I know now I needed a much better electrolyte solution than just a few pinches of Himalyan salts in water. Does anyone know of a powdered mix with all the right ratios of potassium, magnesium, etc. we could buy to just add to water? Thanks!

others will likely be on with electrolyte suggestions, but I’m going to mention something that I think I said somewhere upthread but often gets lost in fasting discussions: if fasting = a drop in caffeine, the pain can be from caffeine withdrawal. When it happened to me I had to dig around a bit to figure out what was going on because leg pain is not among the top few symptoms of caffeine withdrawal (headache, etc).

(Zee Mendoza) #72

Hello new here. Found this thread the same way like most others…did my first true prolonged fast and encountered extreme leg/hip/back pain just as day 3 started. I have read the entire thread and I am inclined to go with the caffeine withdrawal theory. I use to have a cup of coffee every morning, and I know most people do but I think maybe not many want to admit it because, well, quitting coffee is no fun.

I am willing to quit coffee but I don’t think I can quit my pre-workout, which I’m assuming has a small quantity of caffeine. I’m just not at the point where I can go to the gym at 430a WITHOUT my pre-workout.

Also I wanted to add that despite the fact that I broke my fast early on the third day (today), I continue to experience the tremendous muscle aches, and it is the afternoon now.

I’m also very grateful to discover that this phenomenon is not uncommon! I believe if more people report back we can get to the bottom of this.

Last I wanted to add that my fasting is mostly dry fasting but not %100. Sometimes I feel like I “ruined” it by having intermittent “snake juice” style water and can’t help but wonder if %100 dry fasts are devoid of pain. My next fast, starting after breakfast tomorrow, will be 100% dry fast for 72 hours and I will report back.

(57 yo female started keto Jul '19) #73

Hi Zee_Mendoza. Welcome!

In my case it was not caffeine withdrawal, as I drank one or two cups of black coffee every morning during my fast. Just as much as when I do not fast.

I see a possible other pattern here: people that are not very much overweight. Maybe leaner people can get this symptom. And/or people doing a lot of muscle training.

FWIW: As one of the posters who probably mentioned caffeine withdrawal in this thread, I can happily report that the only time I’ve gotten that symptom was when coming off of coffee and I haven’t experienced that pain since then (despite many short and long fasts).

(Now if I could figure out how to get a full night of sleep while fasting I’d be all set :slight_smile: …)

I had plenty of coffee during my event. Wasn’t that.

That was my case.

(Brittany) #77

Exact same pain for me as when I went off coffee, which makes me think it is a withdrawal symptom of sorts

(Istvanne Papp) #78

Oh, thank you! It makes sense. When a wound is healing it is also painful. I understand it. When I did my first 5 days fasting on water without electrolytes, I did not feel any pain at all. I was 42 years old and have kyphosis and scoliosis. When I did it after 2 years again, I had incredible pain in my spinal column after 3 days. I could not turn around the bed and sleep. I took very strong pain killer and stopped fasting on the 5th day. I did not hear about electrolytes that time yet. When I do 3 days fasting, I have the pain after 2 days. But knowing that, what is happening, makes me not give up and try again.

(Istvanne Papp) #79

With some walking and zinc before you go to sleep. Try to get to bed by 10 pm. If you skip this time, it will be harder to fall asleep.

Bringing this topic up again. I have searched for the answer for years and never found a reason for this pain or a “cure”. I’ve been doing a lot of PSMF and oddly enough I experience similar pains. Dull, achy lower back and hips. Sometimes thighs. Caffeine could be a factor but I’ve experimented and personally it makes no difference. Sodium and electrolytes maybe, but I’ve yet strike a balance supplementing that helped with the pain. Drinking more water to flush out toxins (I’m not sure I buy the toxins theory) hasn’t helped. Constipation seems unlikely, I’ve addressed that in various ways. Stretching and moving around does seem to help. But that is only temporary leading me to believe it’s not the underlying issue.

I’m not concerned it’s anything serious. I’m even optimistic it’s the result of something positive happening within the body. I’m just genuinely curious. So I’m bringing it up again. I forgot about this thread so it’s been fun to reread after a couple years.

Anyone have any new insights?