Over 55? Support group for older members

(Mary) #1

Hi. I am new to Keto and hoping that there are other older newbies wanting to support each other. I am tired of being overweight and the effects of poor eating habits are starting to catch up medically with hypertension and pre diabetes. I have been an emotional eater all my life and unfortunately that has meant serious overconsumption of sugar and carbs. I am 117 kg and want to get down to double digits as my first goal. Are you in a similar position and want to support each other?

(Rob) #2

This seems to be popular…

I gave up after the first couple of posts because I discovered I had too many of some bits and not enough of others to qualify :flushed:

(Marta Loftfield) #3

I second the Vintage Ladies Keto Club!

(Mary) #4

Thanks Rob. I hope you are achieving your goals. Mary

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

(Mary) #5

Thanks for the tip.

(Pat) #6

Hello Mary.

I’m an oldie that will support you but a newbie too.
Your story mirrors mine. I’ve started today very much a beginner to keto but have had success 12 years ago with Atkins. It’s now about getting my health back (similar issues to you) and trying to stay around longer for my daughters and grandchildren. Have a big problem with sugar and craving it.

Why aren’t there any Keto or low carb slimming clubs where you can give and get support? Does anyone know?

Good luck.

Pat

Pat

I’ve been on the keto diet for 4 weeks and lost 8 pounds, which I think is not very much. When I was on this a few years ago, I lost 6 pounds the first week. I think that now that I’m 55, it’s much harder. Plus, I’m eating under 1000 calories per day. So, it’s very frustrating. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem as they age?

(Mary) #8

Thanks Pat for your reply. It’s great to have found a forum where we can support one another. Like you I love sugary things! I started on Saturday and while managing to cut out carbs and sugar am finding that I can’t seem to get full so ate 2 lamb chops with a large zucchini pan fried in lemon oil, then a few minutes later snacked my way through 180 gm of boccocini. Hopefully this will settle!

(Renee Slaughter) #9

Hi Abigail and welcome,
I understand trying to regain health and lose weight. However, calorie restriction doesn’t work in the long run. Keto, in the beginning isn’t about counting calories. It’s more about balance. I’m almost 58 and have been keto for about 5 months so not quite a beginner. In the beginning I ate the basics, 20 grams of carbs, moderate protein, and this is key fat till your full even if you’re over your calories. 1000 or less isn’t enough and you will start to gain weight. Please use the search box and type in calorie restriction or counting calories. Keto does work but for us older ladies it’s slower but we do get there.
Best wishes

(Renee Slaughter) #10

Here you go

(Scott) #11

Down 11 pounds and starting week 5… we can do this

(Mary) #12

Congratulations! Glad to see that you are getting results and sticking to it.

(Jo) #13

I am also just embarking on the KETO journey (2 weeks). I need to lose about 50 lbs, am 58 and post-menopausal. I also found that the weight loss is much more of a roller coaster than when I lost a bunch of weight about 15 years ago. The scale is going up and down, fluctuating as much as 4 of 5 lbs in one day. I seem to be fluctuating water weight quite a bit. I think I have lost about 6 lbs in 2 weeks. I am now here officially pledging not to step on the scale more often than 1x a week, in stead of every 4 hours, lol. (Who’s impatient?)

I have high blood pressure but not severely and that is basically my only health issue (apart from the hotflashes and nightsweats). There is heartdisease in my family so that’s why I want to get my weight down and get my blood pressure under control.

The Ketone urine testing strips show that I am in moderate ketosis, but I also know that this is not a very reliable testing method, so I take this with a grain of salt. I am def. not fat adapted yet because I still get hungry between meals.

i am loving the meal options, I can totally see doing this long-terms. Lots of options that suit me and if it is true that the appetite is going to go down, I see a skinny me in the forecast.

Looking forward to take on the journey together with all of you!
Jo

(Start date: 4/1/2018; SW:183, CW:177, GW:133; Height: 5’2")

(Doug) #14

Hi Mary. :slightly_smiling_face: “Double digit kilograms” - that sounds great. It’s been 30+ years since I’ve seen that. I was over 150 kg (340 lbs) a year ago when I finally got beyond the pre-diabetic stage, and that was enough to scare me into doing better.

I’m still a teenager at heart, even at age 59, and I still eat impulsively sometimes and make bad decisions. I do know that ketogenic eating and fasting work well for me, though, and I never give up totally. From last November until just recently I slacked off and “cheated” a lot. It wasn’t like entirely returning to the old days, however - for example I’d go for bacon and eggs for breakfast, rather than biscuits and gravy, or pancakes and the like.

I work away from home, and only weigh myself once in a while when I’m there. Even after half a year of being pretty inconsistent with keto, I’d lost another 2.3 kg or 5 lbs. Every little bit helps.

I am 56, very active with through the roof cortisol levels, high blood pressure and a very stressful job. I have been to Drs, dieticians, nutritionists ,trainers.
Ate healthy, cut out soda and junk food.
Very little drinking. Worked out 5 days a week.
I looked at my past weights on my fitness pal.
In 5 yrs I had never had more than a 2lb weight loss!
I gained 10 this last year, mother dying, work issues.
Dr suggested Keto and Intermittent Fasting.
10 weeks in and 10lbs down and body fat has gone from 33% to 27%.
Super easy for me, easy to eat out,eat at home and go out with friends. Finally!!!
I dont care if its slow, I know the fat is going away even if I dont see it on the scale.
Reading everyone’s answers really helps too,
It’s a great resource.

(gayle) #16

Congrats! two pounds a week is nothing to discount. Keto is not a melt away fat diet,it is a change to our eating habits, a new way of thinking about food. If you are doing those two things AND Still loosing you are going in the right direction. I really want you to see the positive side. I have found out from experience that anything that is going to take a long time, if it is recovering from an injury, to treatment for a disease or in our case loosing weight; depression and negativity set in. Our attitude and outlook need to change as well as our food input. Do your own research on positive mindset needed to loose weight and see if you are more encouraged and happy about your success. https://www.bing.com/search?q=positive+mindset+helps+weight+loss.&src=IE-TopResult&FORM=IETR02&conversationid=

Thanks! You are right, patience!! I have lost inches, which I am very excited about too. thanks for the reminder of thinking positive!

Thank you–this is great information! I will try to not record my calories in my app. and see how it goes. Do you keep track of your meals at all?

(Renee Slaughter) #19

Yes I am a avid data collector. But I use it to work for me. I track trends in my eating I just don’t pay attention to the calories. At this point in my journey they don’t matter as much. I’m 5 months in. So we shall see.

(Mary) #20

Hi Doug. Not sure where the “old” comes from at 59! I am 58 in a few weeks and want to gain back enough fitness to really enjoy life. You seem to have done really well. What would be your three key tips?