Over 55 club

(Marianne) #1

Anybody over 55? Everything else being equal, just wondering if any of you have found it is different for those of us who are a little older?

(John) #2

Yes, many of us are over 55. Other than having slower metabolic rates and a natural tendency towards loss of muscle mass as we age, and for women, the hormonal changes that come with being post-menopausal, what sort of differences were you thinking of?

(less is more, more or less) #3

56, at your service.

I did Atkins 15-ish years ago. However, I find living low carb to be much easier now, but thanks to being a patient of Dr. Westman, and not by a book alone. That and repeated decades of failed calories-in, calories-out based dieting and the motivational boost of how successful low-carb eating is.

Welcome, Marianne! This is a great forum to learn about all things low-carb.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #4
  1. Didn’t have to watch weight until menopause then I piled on 40 pounds. Keto has been easy for me because I am a big meat eater!

(Keto butts drive me nuts) #5

55 here and been using the sad diet for years until jumping on low carb last October. This is a great place to be for sure!!!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #6

Yes I’m 59, don’t know about being older though! :grin::wink:

I am pleased with my progress although it’s slow and would love it if things changed faster. I have lost 25# in 5 months and reversed my pre diabetes status and cholesterol/triglycerides issues so I can’t really complain. The other 20# will come off in time. I’m not going anywhere. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Doug) #7

Holding on to my 50s for 25 more days here, Marianne. :open_mouth:

As a whole we do become less insulin sensitive as we age, and our metabolisms slow down. Not to say that eating ketogenically will not be good, effective, etc. - people in their 70s, 80s and 90s have started out on the path and gotten great benefit from it.

I think where things are not equal make more of a difference, however, i.e. the difference between women and men is often substantial when it comes to the ease and speed of weight loss.

Yes, I am 69 and an issue for me is my face… with the weight loss I am very wrinkly and never was before. I can live with that! :blush:
On the positive side… I am not diabetic 2 nor pre-diabetic on tests anymore. I am having catch-up elective surgeries and the pre- surgical check in is always with an incredulous nurse who is staggered that I was diagnosed type 2 decades ago and I am not taking any meds whatsoever. The surgeons I am finding are all trying keto and picking my brain . The post surgical nurse interaction is always challenging when they try to foist sandwiches on me and insist I eat something before discharge. Having cataract surgery this week and intend to take my own boiled eggs along so I can get out of there without them stressing.
The increased fats have made the difference for me metabolically…I had eaten low carb for years due to long term insulin resistance and to fend off the diabetes avoiding meds. I hadn’t ever eaten high fat. That was my magical missing link.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #9

@anon13588705 I pack a snack for post op, they are always coming in with the cold cut turkey sandwiches on white “wheat” bread with a single iceberg lettuce leaf, anemic tomato slice and the jello cups and apple juice! Seriously they still think it’s 1965 in the hospitals. Nobody wants to eat that!

(Doug) #10

:smile: So true! Perfectly said, David. :slightly_smiling_face:

Early 50’s, now peri-menopausal (with the resultant addition of 20 kg over the past five years or so), and finding it much harder to lose body fat now than I did with LCHF 15 years ago. Patience is not a particularly strong virtue of mine. :frowning:

I’ll be 69 in one month and have been battling the bulge for decades. Not T2 but was probably pre- when I began last April. Have lost 68 pounds (A1C from 5.6 to 5.1) but has been trying at times because of slower metabolism, some heart meds (now off most of them) and slow heart rate.

But coupled with Intermittent and Extended Fasting, Keto has been the most successful and sustained eating plan of my long life. I am now trying to incorporate weight training but it is daunting as well.

Like mentioned here before, I have an issue with a really drawn face with the weight loss but others compliment me so who knows.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #13

65yo and was preT2 ~4 years ago. Reversed that easily with lazy keto. Weight loss and blood pressure required strict <20g keto in June '18. Still been slow but time restricted feeding, then intermittent fasting and now IF and EF are finally helping that.

Dr Stephen Phinney’s youtube videos and the science of low carb book got me started. Dr Jason Fung really helped most recently with the Obesity Code book. Others have helped. too numerous to mention.

Being overweight since college means I have a lot of derangement to reverse. But it is happening.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #14

I am 60 and can totally relate. I thought it was age and sun exposure catching up with me, but weight loss will do it.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #15

How much have you lost?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #16

I think we all are looking pretty good, especially @buxomlass :smiley_cat:

Thank you, @David_Stilley. :kissing_cat:
You’re right, of course - I’m not fat, I’m just adorably fluffy. (simper)

footytips%20avatar

(Randy) #18

I’m only 54. Just checking in on the old folks. :scream::grimacing::sunglasses:

Last few years 25 kilos last few months 10 kilos.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #20

Khan KHAN!