Over 55 club

(Marianne) #21

Just wondering if it takes longer to lose weight because of slower metabolism. I realize this is a lifestyle change for the better, but I am still hoping to lose weight. I have 75 lbs. to lose.

(Marianne) #22

Thank you so much; I find the people here are very welcoming, inclusive, supportive and knowledgeable.

(Marianne) #23

Wow; I think that is fabulous!

(Marianne) #24

Wow, congratulations! Very encouraging. Donā€™t know if you have Planet Fitness where you are, however, I was a member there fr several years. My husband, who has always been very fit, goes three times a week and works out in our basement on the off days. Anyway, what I loved about Planet Fitness was the 30-minute Workout. It has a circuit of ten weight machines designed to target a different part of your body. You rotate machines one at a time for a minute, with minute rest, a minute of stepping to your own pace, and then a minute on the next machine and so one. Thirty minutes and you have done a complete weight and aerobic circuit, to your own level of weight. I felt fit and strong then but then got lazy and went less and less, gained weight, and eventually stopped. Good luck.

(Marianne) #25

Has anyone tried botox? I know a lot of the wrinkles from weight loss are due to less volume in the face, but I have been getting botox for several years for my frown lines (glabella) and also my crows feet. I can still emote, however, I just look more relaxed over all. Not the cheapest thing to do but for those who can or who can cut corners in other areas, I recommend it. I feel young and am going down kicking and screaming.

(Marianne) #26

Geezers rule; youā€™ll see! :joy:

(less is more, more or less) #27

Yea, it might sound self-serving with my admin role, but this forum is refreshingly civil, unlike the bulk of the internet. The admins are active here, trying to keep potshots to a dull roar.

It used to be said; ā€œNever discuss religion or politicsā€ As we know, what we eat is the third leg of the taboo stool.

Yet, in charity, it is possible.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #28

I havenā€™t, but good to know you got great results. Iā€™ve had laser work done - and that is very effective on blood vessels, moles, dark spots, etc. I have considered fillers. Just waiting for the budget to catch up!

(John) #29

Iā€™m 61. Started when I was 60. I am in month 6. I expected this to be a 3-year journey back to a healthy weight, and if I averaged 1 pound a week weight loss, that would get me to my ideal goal in 2 years, 8 months.

I view it as a permanent lifestyle change and not a thing Iā€™m going to be doing for a while and then going back to eating how I did before.

I have lost more quickly than I expected, so that is good, but I am still working on developing the long-term habits that I need to make it permanent.

However, I am male, donā€™t have diabetes or pre-diabetes, and seem to respond well to this way of eating, so you should not compare yourself or your results to me. Everyoneā€™s journey will be different.

My recommendations, based on what I have observed in myself from past attempts, and from looking at some of the threads where people are struggling:

• Use food as a source of fuel and nutrition for your body
  • Eat when truly physically hungry
  • Eat enough to satisfy the hunger but not more than that
  • Donā€™t use food as a drug to treat anxiety, stress, depression, nervousness, boredom.
  • Donā€™t succumb to social pressures to eat, or to eat particular foods.
  • Donā€™t let the clock tell you that it is time to eat
  • Donā€™t eat solely for a pleasurable sensation, unless you are already physically hungry. You can still enjoy eating, but donā€™t eat just for enjoyment.
  • Donā€™t look for ways or opportunities to ā€œcheat.ā€ That implies you havenā€™t fully internalized your new habits and are looking for excuses to go back to your prior ways.

@JohnH Unless it involves ice cream on a Sunday afternoon.

(John) #31

Iā€™ll let you know how that works out in late 2020, though itā€™ll be on a Saturday, not a Sunday. I promised myself cake and ice cream on my 63rd birthday if I was at or under my goal weight by then.

I deny it.

I was able to get into keto first try, no issues, complications or stalls. But a bunch of stumbles here there and everywhere. Nothing major too much of this, too little of that ā€¦

Actually now that I feel 20 years younger maybe I can stop denying it. So yes I am 56 years young.

(Will Larson) #33

Hi, everyone,
Iā€™m 71 years old. Never really worried about weight much until age 35 or so, when a certain insidious creep began, maybe 10 lbs per decade, and by early 60s I touched 200 briefly, and experienced some hypertension and possible prediabetes. At about this time I read Good Calories, Bad Calories and began paring down the carbs, but itā€™s been maybe a 10 year process of education at the university of podcast. I find that following people like Rhonda Patrick, Peter Attia, and the researchers they interview about CVD, diabetes, and Alzheimers is quite motivating, as is monitoring my ketones and glucose with the KetoMojo gizmo. Joined up with the two keto dudes a bit over a year ago. Richardā€™s scientific viewpoint is appealing to me. Anyhow, Iā€™m maintaining around 170 Ā±5 these days, and keeping in ketosis makes it easier to eat in a narrow window.
Thanks to all for posting, as the community helps to resist cultural cues, even for a lurker such as myself.
Will

(less is more, more or less) #34

Hrmā€¦ <meaning; Iā€™m pondering out loud in my admin role>

This probably is in the wrong category. I interpret ā€œtips from the oldiesā€ to mean people who have been living low-carb for several years. This is particularly true, since the parent category is ā€œNewbies." And, reading the description, yes, thatā€™s what it is. In that context, a 20-something can impart low-carb wisdom to the 50-something neophyte.

What does everyone think of a ā€œ50+ clubā€ or some such category under ā€œCommunity?" Weā€™ll at least understand references to Gilliganā€™s Islandā€¦ :wink:

(Emmett Jones) #35

Iā€™m 57. Been doing Keto since April 1, have lost 80 lbs. weight loss has slowed down but Iā€™m sticking with it

(John) #36

Agreed.

(Kath Galvin) #37

Yes, Iā€™m in my 50ā€™s and have been keto since last Motherā€™s Day. Keto was my gift to myself to take care of me in a new way. I donā€™t know how much Iā€™ve lost and I donā€™t track or count. But I keep feeling and seeing little changes, slow and steady. I do know Iā€™ve had to retire a few sizes of clothes and I can move through life easier.

This year Iā€™ve added in more movement with Nia Technique, a barefoot fusion of dance, healing and martial arts. Itā€™s very gentle on the joints and I can move at my own ability. I love that it is a healing way to move and there is science behind it.

Nia and Keto together have dovetailed so nicely for me, I hope to share my journey with others. Iā€™m pretty low key on the forum, but wanted to share. Thanks for all the supportive posts, folks.

(David Anderson) #38

Hi, 65 here, started keto dec 3,2018. Got in good ketosis fairly soon after starting keto! My starting weight was #283. As of 3/2/2019 #235. Itermitant fasting 18/6. Or 20/4. Track my carbs & blood! I recently did a 4 day fast. Water and electrolytes, this went great. I still did cardio & light strength training! So over all it has worked well for me! (Waiting fo my resent blood work to come back! :grin:

(Kara Chase) #39

Fantastic! I bet you feel great.