Oops. Recipes for SLICED pork belly?

(Larry Lustig) #1

Just bought 7 lbs of pork belly at Costco only to come home and find all the recipes in the pork belly thread are for while slabs. These are in one inch thick slices.

Any suggestions on how to make these into pork belly goodness?

Thick sliced pork belly
(Jacquie) #2

The recipe I posted was for thick sliced pork belly. :slight_smile: I use organic refine coconut oil for frying as I don’t want the flavour of coconut.

(Larry Lustig) #3

Making this now.

(Jacquie) #4

Did you let it cure for a few hours? I usually double or triple the recipe because who makes only 2 or 3 pieces of pork belly at one time? :wink:

(Larry Lustig) #5

I doubled the recipe and it’s curing now. Will let it cure overnight.

Toi fry, it’s really a deep fry (covered in oil)?

(Jacquie) #6

I used a lot of oil in a large frying pan to cover the pieces the first couple of times. This last time I used much less oil and that worked, too. Use your best guess. I’m curious to know how it turns out as I’ve never cured it overnight and that may make it even better. It should have a nice crispy salty flavour.

(Larry Lustig) #7

Do you eat it as is, out use it in something else?

(Jacquie) #8

So far, as is with a veggie dish or salad. It has a light salty taste, so it’s not overwhelming.

(Kathy Meyer) #9

Mine is in the curing mode right now – is this left out on the counter or put in the refrigerator? If left on the counter, do you cover it with a paper towel?

(Jacquie) #10

@xandtrek I left it on the counter and covered it with a paper towel. :slight_smile:

(Kathy Meyer) #11

OK, good, that’s what I did right now. Too many cats in the house to leave food uncovered, and it’s not hot in the house – I worry about bacteria, but with the salt and vinegar, maybe that’s not a problem. Plus it will get fried up for dinner tonight :slight_smile:

(Larry Lustig) #12

I cured mine in the fridge for twenty-four hours.

(Stephanie Pratt) #13

I bought the same pack from Costco. Is this the only recipe?

(Kathy Meyer) #14

OK, following the instructions here I felt that the result was OK – but not exactly what I wanted. Yes, I got the pieces to get very crispy. But still a little tough and not succulent enough. I’d like a crispy outside and a soft and tasty inside. I would also want to marinate with something more flavorful – I did dust with spices, but they didn’t infiltrate enough – I’m thinking a much longer marinade in the refrigerator.

(Jacquie) #15

I just made some today for tonight’s dinner. :slight_smile: It was excellent! I’ve made this quite a few times and find there are several variables that can affect the result. I always use fresh, not frozen, sliced pork belly from a local pork butcher/farm. The best flavour (salt and vinegar) was when I didn’t use the microwave to dissolve the salt and I triple the recipe to allow for the number of slices I have. I fry the slices in lots of organic refined coconut oil (no coconut flavour). The meat was crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. Another variable would be the thickness of the slices, too.

(Christopher Avery) #16

What did I do right?

I’m a newbie and started Keto Sunday. Yesterday I was in Costco and saw a humongous package of sliced pork belly. So I bought it. Tonight I opened it up and filled a pan with 5 strips. I started with a cold pan, like when cooking bacon or sausage.

Then I read the forums here about curing, marinating, drying, waiting, etc. Shoot!

I added a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil and turned the eye (electric) to medium high. I also added some salt.
Lo and behold, it turned out quite good. I gobbled three slices.

It wasn’t tough. It wasn’t too rich. It was crunchy and flavorful.

The other two slices are in the fridge for snacking tomorrow. I’m finishing off dinner with an avocado.

I will try the prep method suggested above and see how much better it can be.

(Jennifer) #17

I bought that same pork belly from Costco - I about fell over when I saw it.

I’m fasting this week, but will cook it for the weekend. This is the recipe I’m going to use.

(Clare) #18

Cook it low and slow, covered, in the oven for a couple of hours then crisp it up on the hob. No curing required.
Alternatively, stack them in a sous vide bag to reform a slab and cook them at 68c for a day. Then fry them.
Either way there’s nothing but happiness to be had from the stuff.

(Roxanne) #19

Sighs…I really wish my Costco carried pork belly. Doesn’t seem fair!

(Greg Rempel) #20

I’m new to Keto, how do you cure the pork belly?