Oops. Recipes for SLICED pork belly?

(Jacquie) #21

I cured it with the salt and vinegar for about 4-5 hrs. using this recipe.

(Greg Rempel) #22

Thank you

(Kathy L) #23

So, if I let it cure overnight-& want to fry it for dinner romorrow-do I leave it at room temp? Or put in fridge? Or get it ready & let it cure for the day tomorrow?

(Kathy L) #24

Just found some there yesterday-(totally by accident)[quote=“roxanne, post:19, topic:5873”]
Costco
[/quote]

(Pat Dugar) #25

I salt and pepper my strips and cook on slow cooker for 12 to 18 hrs. Cool, then slice and brown. Or I brown in my grill. Delicious.

(Jennifer) #26

I just put a whole pack of Costco pork belly in the oven. Packed the slices together fat side up, wrapped them in parchment paper, then aluminum foil and it will sit in the oven for 6-7 hours at 180.

It’s gonna be 102 outside and I’m going to run my oven all day. :astonished:

Pork belly is so worth it.

(Mike Glasbrener) #27

I finally saw chuck roadt last week at costco and pork belly yesterday. I love my sous vide so… I haven’t made the 5.5lb chuck roast because I need to sync it a bit with my fasting regiment and my wife’s variable work schedule. It’ll be several meals. The Potok belly is a completely new thing for me. We have s big Costco and they only had two cuts there. Similar for the chuck. Anyhow today was prep day. First cut the belly into 3 pieces ~3.5lbs each.

Next roll them. Another new experience for me.

Marinate for ~12hrs in brine…

Then I’ll drain and transfer to vacuum sealed bags tomorrow morning followed by freezer for two of them and sous vide the third. My current plan is to sous vide then slice and pan fry the 1/2" thick slices unless someone tells me different. I plan to update as I procede.

(Mike Glasbrener) #28

!
Vacuum sealed from the freezer
!
Chilled for about an hour. Probably should have been longer
!
fried in bacon grease
!
Sliced about 3/4" thick
!
Done
Excellent texture! Good taste. Needs more seasoning.
Notes: Brine longer with more salt. I need to learn more about how to season this.

Excellent fatty meal!

I plated this with baked cauliflower with paramesean cheese.

(What The Fast?!) #29

I want to try just cooking it like this to see what happens (also because I want to eat some for lunch and don’t want to wait to cure it…)…so you put it in a cold pan, then turned the heat to probably…medium high? How long before you added the oil? Do you think it needed the oil? I might just try one piece to see how it goes. Any info you can share is great!

(Christopher Avery) #30

I haven’t repeated this in a long time so I don’t want to comment authoritatively. I think what you suggest are good experiments.

(What The Fast?!) #31

Yesterday I roasted for an hour at 375 in a cast iron. Today I just cut it up and threw it in the cast iron for like 7 minutes. Added salt, that’s it. I’m sure the other ways make it way more tender…but tasted just fine to me!

(Christopher Avery) #32

Good for you. Thank you for sharing your success. I’ve got some frozen that I think I’ll break out for breakfast Thursday as I end my 2+ day fast.

(What The Fast?!) #33

Nice job on the fast. ALSO, I was trying to calculate macros and I’m totally lost on pork belly. The numbers are all over the place based on different sites. Plus, I think there’s a huge difference based on each piece of meat - some is way fattier, some is meatier. More importantly, the method of cooking and how much fat comes out when you cook has a huge impact…so I don’t really trust the calorie/macro count.

(Christopher Avery) #34

Good luck with figuring the macros. I’m eating intuitively and it’s working. When I was tracking, I did the research like you, then threw a dart and called it an average.