Omega 3 from sources other than avocado or fish

(Chris Robertson) #1

I really don’t like fish and and despise avocado but I’m trying to work more omega 3 into my diet. Right now I’m getting most of it from flax seeds but I’m looking for more options. Any suggestions for omega 3 foods. I realize i could go with supplements but I am hoping to get it from real food.

Omega 3 for fussy eater
(Michelle) #2

Walnuts. Eggs enriched with omega 3 (these farmers feed their chickens flaxseeds and other seeds rich in omega 3)

(Casey Crisler) #3

I’m like you. Not a fan of fish (except in stick form or with chips). Avacados - gross.
I had to force my self to like, or at least tolerate them. I did the same thing a few years ago with mangos, papayas, and grapefruit. Of course now I can’t eat them.
I’m not sure if it’s the best solution, but there are desserts with avocado that taste pretty good. You probably would even notice it.
I usually eat tuna straight out of the can mixed with mayo and sardines (yuck) covered in mustard.

take cream cheese and avocado and mix into a dip add some garlic and dip in your pork rinds you will now like avocado

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #5

Flax seeds have no EPA or DHA. A very poor source of the actual useful N-3 EFAs, though a rich source of ALA. ALA to EPA and DHA conversion does take place, but at rates going from very low to abysmal (30% is peak conversion for one of them, 9% is peak for the other… 1% is the nadir for the other… I think part of that is that ALA goes to one, and then that goes to the other… bullwhip effect of dependent events). Walnuts have the same problem. As does every vegetable source of N-3. Including walnuts and avocados (which are poor sources to start with).

I would advise supplementation. Being very careful about sourcing, and keeping from going rancid. These are delicate oils when squeezed outta fishes and their livers.

As to whole food sources, grass fed beef and pastured eggs. Cook the eggs very gently, without breaking the yolks, as N-3 EFAs are very prone to oxidation, and scrambling will likely remove any beneficial effect wrt EFAs that any eggs may have had.

I have a UV proof bottle of salmon oil capsules in my fridge. I dispense a dozen from this bottle into a pill dispenser in my bathroom, and take two a day. I don’t think this is remotely optimal, but, given my preferences (not a fish eater), it’s as good as it gets, without spooning cod liver oil.

(Chris Robertson) #6

So fish is really the only good way to get omega 3 if you don’t want to take a suplement???

that is true and also the more complete complex of omega.

(Chris Robertson) #8

Is canned tuna and or canned sardines an acceptable way to get it or does it degrade too much being canned and stored?

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #9

Water packed canned tuna will hold more N-3 than oil packed. I suspect the same is true of sardines. I don’t think the canning process is liable to oxidize the omega-3 without also spoiling the fish.

sardines are excellent for 2 reasons it is giving you more of a nose to tail full food experience and the omega complex. They also are a small sustainable fish, smaller fish has less time to become metal toxic.

(Norma Laming) #11

Grass fed meat, too

(Debi) #12

I make chia seed pudding and i get all my Omega 3 in one serving

(Karim Wassef) #13

Mackerel - flame grilled with lime…
Also krill oil supplements
I like seaweed - nori
I think seafood like shrimp and lobster too - basically if it eats algae or plankton, it should have omega-3.

(Karim Wassef) #14

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=107

https://www.seafoodhealthfacts.org/seafood-nutrition/healthcare-professionals/omega-3-content-frequently-consumed-seafood-products

(Brian) #15

That’s interesting! A few years ago, my mom, in very poor health at the time, seemed to really like a sunny-side-up egg where the yolk was not cooked. Maybe her natural instincts were correct. Unfortunately, there was a lot more to her health issues at the time and she ended up passing. But I actually kinda like the yolk runny sometimes and got to be a pretty good “egg cooker” as a friend of my dad’s said.

Still love eggs and use quite a lot of them.

(Bob M) #16

I usually scramble my eggs. Sorry, EFAs. In fact, many times I cook them at work, where all we have is a microwave. I have to scramble them there.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #17

Got this straight from Dr. & Dr. Eades in Protein Power Life Plan.

I’ll be honest though, I scramble a lot of eggs. But I sous vide, at sub boiling temp, so maybe not so bad. But when I go out, generally it’s sunny up or poached.

(Karim Wassef) #18

I do this too!!! Pasteurized but still raw!

I put them in my shakes raw

(CharleyD) #19

Just gonna leave this here :smile: Chia can also contain Omega 3s. My SNPs tell me I poorly convert ALA to EPA and to also avoid vitamin E supplentation, so weekly I’ll try to get something below, or make a ‘seafood salad’ with canned fish, or a large bowl of self mixed LCHF friendly nuts.

These are just what’s considered the ‘best’ sources of Omega 3 but they’re all present in animal fat, especially animals that are grass fed and finished. (Otherwise aren’t fed a lot of Omega 6)

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #20

I generally blend them with some dairy, and make egg bites or mini-quiches. But pasteurized and raw is probably the most pure nutrition.