Omega 3 - another source (not marine)

(Karim Wassef) #1

This is a sensitive food taboo topic in western cultures but I thought I’d share it anyway.

Brain meat is actually a good source of omega 3 and I work with a local butcher to source lamb and beef brain.

I realize that there’s a weirdness factor here if you didn’t grow up with it, but as adults we can have the conversation.

If you’ve never tried it, how do you know it’s not delicious? this is a delicacy that you can look for in specialty restaurants to see if you like it. If you’re adventurous, you can try it breaded (I use egg, protein powder or pork rinds) and fried in ghee.

I’ll end by saying that prior to the western “ewww” factor that came with a massive migration to processed foods that don’t look like food, even western cultures looked to healthy animal fats and especially organ meats for nutrition. The “mad cow” protein folding disease scare also caused panic but it’s been sorted out for a decade.

Just sharing an alternate viewpoint and potentially helping expand our collective palette. :smiley:

(Karim Wassef) #2

4oz = 1gram of DHA and full of awesome cholesterol
:slight_smile:

(Randy) #3

Nope.

The only place I can find brain out here near Portland is the Asian Market, and even then only pork brain. I doubt there’s anyone out here who sells cow brain, due to the mad cow scare.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #5

Mad Cow Disease… methinks not unless I’m super sure about the sourcing.

(Todd Allen) #6

I’d like to try brains but I haven’t found a good source here in Chicago. I should probably try harder to find them.

For you OMAD'ers
(Omar) #7

sheep brain is regular dish in the middle east.

(Karim Wassef) #8

Yes. I prefer sheep brain myself - more tender.
Maybe I should post recipes?

:slight_smile:

(Karim Wassef) #9

Lamb brain (1lb or 240g) = 3.9g of omega 3 and 6g of cholesterol

https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/lamb-veal-and-game-products/4656/2

(Samuel Ashford) #10

Totally agree. It’s the perfect landlocked source of n3, especially DHA. I’ve tried it, and though it’s not “tasty” to me (as is a ribeye), it has a pleasant taste. I probably should eat more of it.

Isn’t McDonald’s 100% beef?

I reckon they do not throw the brain away (or liver, kidnies …) - it all goes into the grinder.

(Todd Allen) #12

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/ct-food-brain-sandwiches-midwest-food-20180814-story.html

(Deborah ) #13

I seem to remember @richard commenting on one of the 2KD podcasts that he loved lambs brains as a small child.

Personally, I’ve never tried brains (not sure I could bring myself to).

(Karim Wassef) #14

Great article and recent too…

I personally believe that omega 3 helps brain development… so eating fish and brain makes us brainier. We’ve gone downhill since we stopped :slight_smile:

(Karim Wassef) #15

brain poppers

(Randy) #16

Watched the first video.

Still nope…

(Karim Wassef) #17

watch them all… I like the indian one best

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #18

In “The Little House in the Big Woods,” Laura Ingalls Wilder describes the slaughter of a pig and all the uses the various organs were put to. The brain was made into head cheese, a kind of luncheon meat including other edible parts of the head, pressed into shape and molded in aspic.

Tongue used to be available years ago at certain Jewish delis in New York City, but once the Cadillac Deli closed, I could never find anywhere else near enough to my office that stocked it. It was similar in taste and texture to corned beef, but tastier somehow. Here in southwestern Connecticut, fuggeddaboutit!

(Richard Morris) #19

yeah apparently I did. No interest in them now tho.

Interestingly they were a common weening baby food for aboriginal Australians.

(Karim Wassef) #20

It’s good brain food… literally. I’d make it into patties and give it to my kids… some may enjoy the weird factor- little boys especially. I know I did!