OMAD - use for weight loss or no?

(Bob M) #1

I’ve seen conflicting advice on OMAD (one meal a day) for weight loss. Supposedly, Fung’s group likes > 24 hours better. While I also like > 24 hours better, I’ve been trying OMAD a few times, when I find it hard to do > 24 hours.

For instance, the easiest day for me to fast > 24 hours is Tuesday, and next Tuesday is voting day, which means my kids will be home. It’s hard for me to come home with everyone eating and not eat, so OMAD is a better option.

The times lately I tried OMAD (which is more like eat within a very short window, maybe 2 hours, for me), it does seem like I eat less overall. And I certainly know I’ve eaten OMAD, as I generally get hungry right when I’d normally eat my first meal in two meals a day.

Your thoughts on OMAD: useful for weight loss? Or not really?

(Robin) #2

I am 85% OMAD. But when my body says feed me, I do. And then it rewards me.

It is surely individual. I met someone who allegedly epically overate on OMAD… :smiley:
Some people are starving on OMAD, IDK why they force it…

I believe OMAD is wonderful for me - if I can pull it off. I rarely can on carnivore, I just can’t eat big enough meals. As I raise carbs, it gets easier and I can trust it WILL happen on high-carb if I put my mind on it. Too bad my body wants carnivore :smiley:

When I stopped losing fat and put some effort into OMAD, I started to lose. I know OMAD helps with zillion things including fat-loss. I hardly can overeat on OMAD, at least when I don’t do my best to do it (I have my ways and they include carbs). Even for maintenance, I probably need carbs or some effort. So yes, it’s good for my fat-loss. The bigger my meal, the longer the satiation (if the food is similar and I get my high protein), I experienced that all my life. It even works with high-carb, a really big meal lasts for a day (see my easy carby OMAD).
So it would work to me if I could pull it off.

But we all are different. Maybe it would work for someone with the right timing and food choices but they do it unwell. There are people who uses the most satiation low-cal items even on OMAD, no wonder their tiny meal can’t do much good. I can eat but if I want to do OMAD, I need to choose my food items very, very well or else I get satiated before I ate enough for the day. The fact that fat doesn’t really satiate me helps but not enough when my carbs aren’t present to induce a big hunger. Well, ability to eat. I don’t need hunger or appetite to eat a big meal. But my meat is satiating and it sometimes gives me a stop sign.
So OMAD is tricky. Other people may just deal with the hunger or lack of satiation later but I am not that type. If my meal is too small, I will need another later. That’s one reason why I try to put my hopefully OMAD meal kind of late (not too late, that rarely works for me). But if it’s not OMAD sized, it won’t work.

Today is probably not OMAD. I ate after 16:15 but couldn’t eat my planned daily food and my protein is clearly below 120g. I will get hungry again… Oh well, TMAD is still better than the 3MADs and 4MAD I had this week…

But I do want OMAD. It makes almost everything food related better for me.

(Christian Hirose Romeo Graham/廣瀬 グラハム クリスティン 路美男) #4

Doing OMAD everyday for an extended period of time, has noticeably made me lose lots of weight, but my main objective is autophagy rather than weight loss. Nowadays, I eat 2 meals for the majority of a given week, and OMAD occasionally.

(Doug) #5

Christian, there are several considerations for autophagy (and it’s a fairly large subject, overall), but eating once a day, unless it would be nothing but fat, pretty much eliminates any chance of started or increased autophagy in humans.

To achieve that, we need to have the stomach and small intestine emptied out, the “post absorptive phase” that follows to be completed, and glycogen to be depleted. It’s not a hard “Off” then “On,” as with most human biochemical processes, but insulin levels need to fall, glucagon levels need to rise, and the primary kinases that control autophagy (mTOR and AMPK) need to be suppressed and activated in response to all that came before.

Coming from a ketogenic diet could speed things up a little, but we’re talking perhaps a few hours when it’s really still late in the second day of fasting, and commonly the third when things finally get supportive of increased autophagy.

Somewhat coincidentally, it’s similar timing to what many people experience with leaving a high-carbohydrate diet and fasting or going to a strict ketogenic one - they don’t really see the dramatically increased ketosis until the 3rd or even the 4th day.

(Michael) #6

Excellent response Doug. Might want to add that strenuous exercise can greatly increase both glycogen store decrease and therefore autophagy increase in potentially a short timeframe.

(mike lisanke) #7

So, I switched from Keto + Fasting N<7 days a week to OMAD in recent months as I saw repeat blood tests indicating low BUN and suspected I had caused negative nitrogen balance and triggered muscle bone hair etc. structure loss. It’s not my intention to do Keto and Fasting to Lose Weight… I want to lose body fat and remain metabolically healthy! I recently stalled on some markers for autophagy and even nutritional ketosis on OMAD with a focus on Protein intake. I believe Gluconeogenesis is very efficient at converting any excess protein intake into blood glucose, raising insulin, thwarting benefits of ketosis and fasting. I recently restarted a longer fasting regiment of OM2D (one meal every 2 days) and Feel Better initially. It’s too early to document any blood test or body shape results But initial weight loss/maintenance has improved, might be just GI.