Olive Oil?

(Vic) #1

I noticed researching many Keto sites and even seen is some posts here many will say Olive oil is not good and may suggest coconut oil instead Why?

I tried to research the only things negative I find is it’s high in fats and caloric neither of which is a concern on this diet and besides I love the taste, It is high in mono fats, I do get plenty of saturated fats elsewhere

So maybe its a newby question but confused on what’s bad about it

(Bob M) #2

I don’t think olive oil is bad, per se. I use it on those times I have a need for it.

(Rebecca ) #3

I don’t think it is bad either. I make sure ours is either from Spain or Italy.

(Katie) #4

It might be because there has been fraud in the EVOO market.

(Christian) #5

There is a certain probability that olive oil is adulterated. Sometimes even chemical laboratories are unable to detect this. If you have olive oil of good origin and processing everything is fine.

(Vic) #6

So the Costco brand is good? I do buy Costco olive oil

that would blow if its really that bad that I cant trust any olive oil anymore

(Katie) #7

I get the California one. From what I understand, a lot of the adulteration was from the Italian sourced oils.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #8

The so-called olive oil ‘fraud’ was itself a fraud perpetrated by a California marketing board to discredit the competition. We discussed this elsewhere and I’ll post a link to that when I get home from work.

Good grief. The lengths people go to get rid of the competition.
I use italian olive oil all the time.
Heard something about coconut oil having a lot of middle/shorter chained triglycerides which is good because it goes into the liver quickly and can be used for energy- or something along those lines. It is more similar to MCT oil for this reason. I use coconut oil too.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #10

Multiple comments/links re olive oil in this topic, including the so-called ‘olive oil scam’, before and after discovering the scam was a scam:

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/keto-mayonaise-open-challenge

(Paulene ) #11

I watched The Big Fat Fix last night and cardiologist Dr. Aseem Malhotra recommended his patients to take 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil every day. He also likes coconut oil.
The olive oil scam as apparently Italian companies selling to the US, and these have since been prosecuted.

(Christian) #12

I am consuming very much olive oil which I believe to be genuine. But there is a lot of evidence besides US studies, analysis here from the European countries that adulterated olive oil is a fact and exists in our markets.

(Bob M) #13

I don’t think he’s on solid ground. The very few (one? two?) randomized controlled trials with olive oil, where they lasted long enough to have an effect on death, showed no benefit. In fact, the one I have showed it was worse than a regular diet:

(Paulene ) #14

I can’t see where this says the addition of olive oil made the diet worse than a normal diet. Both the olive oil and corn diets also restricted animal fats but it doesn’t look like the control group restricted animal fat. The first group is hardly a control unless they also restricted animal fats. How do they know if the results were from the reduction in animal fat or the addition of olive or corn oil? I’d like to see this study with animal fats also as a controlled variable.
Dr. Malhotra didn’t recommend reducing animal fats but suggests adding olive oil in conjunction with a low carb diet.