Olive oil in the USA being mixed with sunflower or other oils?

I was watching one of Dr Phinney’s conferences on youtube ( Dr. Stephen Phinney - ‘Optimising Weight and Health with an LCHF Diet’ - Part 1 ) and at min 36:20 they casually mention how a lot of olive oils are adulterated with other kind of oils, like sunflower or cotton. So FML is there nothing we can trust anymore?

Have you heard of this before, and if so, do you know of any trustworthy brands to buy? In the video Phinney mentions the costco brand as a good one (tested himself), but maybe some of you know of another good one, I would love to know.

(Steve) #2

There was something on 60 Minutes some time ago that olive oil from Italy is being adulterated by the Mafia or something. Being an uncouth American, I couldn’t tell fake olive oil from linseed oil probably. Apparently it is quite a scandal in Italy. Here’s a link to the story:
60 Minutes Olive Oil story

I tried a linseed oil mayo for the ^o3’s … only once.

Ok, aim from olive oil from spain or others then :+1:

I wouldn’t be so sure. 70% of imports were cut with refined oils. Better bet is to find a locally produced olive oil.

(Tim W) #6

There’s a good book about how bad the Olive Oil situation is when it comes from overseas. Bottom line is that most of what’s coming in from overseas is mixed with ANYTHING else to make volume.

Lifehaker has some good notes:

The brands that failed to meet the extra virgin olive oil standards, according to this study: Bertolli, Carapelli, Colavita, Star, Pompeian. Eat Grown Local also reports: Filippo Berio, Mazzola, Mezzetta, Newman’s Own, Safeway, and Whole Foods in this list; the data may be from the earlier 2010 study when more brands were evaluated.

The real deal: California Olive Ranch, Cobram Estate, Lucini. Kirkland Organic, Lucero (Ascolano), McEvoy Ranch Organic are also noted by Eat Grown Local.

thanks! this will come in handy next time I go to the market!!

(Ross) #8

I made mayo last year from bacon fat, egg yokes, apple cider vinegar (with mother), salt, pepper & some dijon. OMG. Give it a shot! Sets up a little hard but damn!

Thanks Biff!

I did some limited research and then Amazon reviews talked about this some.

I went with Trader Joe’s California Estate Olive Oil “extra-virgin”.

I do like it. Anyone heard anything good or bad about it?

Note- it priced $20 on Amazon; costs $6 in the store!!

(Tim W) #10

Good to hear, I’ll try that out.

I was hoping a certain brand at BJs (local wharehouse store) was “the real deal”, website looked good and talked about this and that and then I saw the Bertolli label as one of their products… done… I’ll stick with the CA grown whenever possible.

Luckily I get my EEO at the military commissary so it’s the CA quality at a great price.

Another link:

(Henry Engler) #11

Great Book about corruption in olive oil industry
Extra Virginity