Olive oil in the USA being mixed with sunflower or other oils?

oliveoils

I was watching one of Dr Phinney’s conferences on youtube ( Dr. Stephen Phinney - ‘Optimising Weight and Health with an LCHF Diet’ - Part 1 ) and at min 36:20 they casually mention how a lot of olive oils are adulterated with other kind of oils, like sunflower or cotton. So FML is there nothing we can trust anymore?

Have you heard of this before, and if so, do you know of any trustworthy brands to buy? In the video Phinney mentions the costco brand as a good one (tested himself), but maybe some of you know of another good one, I would love to know.

Olive Oil?
(Steve) #2

There was something on 60 Minutes some time ago that olive oil from Italy is being adulterated by the Mafia or something. Being an uncouth American, I couldn’t tell fake olive oil from linseed oil probably. Apparently it is quite a scandal in Italy. Here’s a link to the story:
60 Minutes Olive Oil story

(Carpe salata!) #3

I tried a linseed oil mayo for the ^o3’s … only once.

Ok, aim from olive oil from spain or others then :+1:

I wouldn’t be so sure. 70% of imports were cut with refined oils. Better bet is to find a locally produced olive oil.

(Tim W) #6

There’s a good book about how bad the Olive Oil situation is when it comes from overseas. Bottom line is that most of what’s coming in from overseas is mixed with ANYTHING else to make volume.

Lifehaker has some good notes:

The brands that failed to meet the extra virgin olive oil standards, according to this study: Bertolli, Carapelli, Colavita, Star, Pompeian. Eat Grown Local also reports: Filippo Berio, Mazzola, Mezzetta, Newman’s Own, Safeway, and Whole Foods in this list; the data may be from the earlier 2010 study when more brands were evaluated.

The real deal: California Olive Ranch, Cobram Estate, Lucini. Kirkland Organic, Lucero (Ascolano), McEvoy Ranch Organic are also noted by Eat Grown Local.

thanks! this will come in handy next time I go to the market!!

(Ross) #8

I made mayo last year from bacon fat, egg yokes, apple cider vinegar (with mother), salt, pepper & some dijon. OMG. Give it a shot! Sets up a little hard but damn!

Thanks Biff!

I did some limited research and then Amazon reviews talked about this some.

I went with Trader Joe’s California Estate Olive Oil “extra-virgin”.

I do like it. Anyone heard anything good or bad about it?

Note- it priced $20 on Amazon; costs $6 in the store!!

(Tim W) #10

Good to hear, I’ll try that out.

I was hoping a certain brand at BJs (local wharehouse store) was “the real deal”, website looked good and talked about this and that and then I saw the Bertolli label as one of their products… done… I’ll stick with the CA grown whenever possible.

Luckily I get my EEO at the military commissary so it’s the CA quality at a great price.

Another link:

(Henry Engler) #11

Great Book about corruption in olive oil industry
Extra Virginity

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #12

I want to revive this thread to see if anyone has any new insights. Can I trust the big bottle of “Extra Virgin Olive Oil” I buy at Trader Joe’s for $15? Or should I throw it away and only buy locally sourced olive oils?

(bulkbiker) #13

Suggest you read the ingredients label very very carefully…

(Christian) #14

Reading this thread now after several months again I am feeling a little bit angry when italian olive oil is generally discredited as fake. I am living in Germany and I am familiar with the high italian culture of olive oil. I have several friends in Tuscany and Sardinia who produce their own high quality olive oils at home and know how a good olive oil should taste. Adulterated olive oil is in Italy a rare exception and can probably be found in other countries as well.
Due to my opinion the lower the price the higher is the probability to get an oil which is not made of 100% pure Italian olives (mixed Europeans or from countries outside of EU) or in extreme cases mixed with other vegetable oils. Depending on the taste a good olive oil can be mild or fruity but should scratch a little bit in the throat if it contains a higher amount of valuable polyphenols.
The price of a bottle of olive oil depends mainly on the origin of the olives, how they are gathered and how the oil is extracted.

This is partly which I’m glad all I can use is butter, lard, and other animal fats.

(Robert C) #16

Yes - I am moving away from Olive Oil too - when I really need oil I stick with reputable Avocado Oil but can usually get away with Kerrygold (or Kerrygold made into ghee).

In California a while back there was a movement to get “real” olive oil grown in California going and stop some of the mixing practices. Now, I am assuming because they could not compete on price, they are selling “California” brand olive oil sourced internationally. I am sure it is possible to do the research - and possibly pay a high price - and be sure you’re really getting the real thing but, once the reputation has reached this level in the industry, it starts to feel like it is not worth it.

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #17

I am also thinking that anything from a major grocery store is probably not worth it. I live in the bay are and there are a few farms and wineries in Napa and Sonoma Counties that press their own olive oil. It’s pricy, but if the oil is really meant just to be on top of food for extra flavor, then I think those are worth it.

I’ve thrown out the Trader Joe’s olive oil.