October 2019 - IF/EF Chat Thread (All Welcome)

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #222

Stopped a bit short of 46 hours.
Final readings:
ISF: 68
BG: 61
BK: 2.0
GKI: 1.69

(Bob M) #223

That seems just to have blood glucose on it.

I took my ketones this morning, 0.5, blood sugar 93. I did eat two meals yesterday, though my ketones are the same as they were after fasting 32+ hours. So, we’re two different people getting two completely different results.

Congratulations on the 46 hour fasting, though.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #224

Yes, it is mostly just glucose. I’m updating the older cheers with the ketone measurements, as notes. The last page should have a list with the numbers for all

I actually decided to start a Fast after last night’s dinner. So I’m just passed 19 hrs. presently.

I find it strange, how most times I will simply start missing eating a nice meal, so will break a Fast. But then sometimes just after a meal or so, I immediately start wanting to go back to Fasting and getting away from Foods again? It’s like I want both at once… :smile:

(Tamela Robinette) #226

Same…

(Susan) #227

That happens with me too, Dave, Fasting is just so much fun =). Best wishes with your Fast =).

I figured I might not be alone in this thinking. :slight_smile: :+1:

Actually a while back, I was even thinking of trying something along the lines of matching Fasting and Feeding days for maybe a Month, just to see how it might work out? … So for example, if I were to Fast for two days, then I would Feed for two days. And then maybe Fast three days, then Feed three. But I just never tried it yet. Might be something to set up for the coming months though. :thinking:

Just passed 38 hrs. and feeling great, but unfortunately will also have to break tonight too… I forgot our Annual Snow Dry Run is scheduled for tomorrow, so I will basically go to bed shortly after getting home tonight, so I can be up at 2am to be at work by 3:30am. - We have the entire department come in to run their snow routes each year, so we will be working them from 4am to Noon. Plus, I would like to actually get an afternoon hunt in Friday evening if possible since I will be getting out of work early for the start of the weekend. And would much rather break today not really knowing how these activities might go?

Happy Fasting Folks… :+1:

(Bob M) #230

That’s a good plan, DD. If I think I might have to eat (say, with others for lunch/dinner), I always break early, as I personally have “issues” when I fast greater than one day.

Well, I did 36 hours on Monday and 22 yesterday, which was OMAD, though I ate over a time period. I have to reconsider that, though, as I get home too late and ate too much before going to bed. I think OMAD is good if you can eat say from 4-5pm or 3-4 pm, and you go to bed after 9pm, but I did not finish eating until close to 8pm, and went to bed around 10pm. That’s not enough time to digest all those calories. So, I either have to go go 2MAD or force myself to eat a small amount or find some other fasting avenue. I’d say another 36 hour fast, but those are tough.

Yeah, I always look at breaking ahead if I have stuff planned. But I don’t really get many stomach issues anyway to be honest, but there’s always that chance. Just better to be on the safe side. (Usually doesn’t come into play for me, unless I go more than 48 hrs. Anything under that and I hardly ever have issues.

Also, eating larger meals is probably why I do OMAD most times. I personally don’t like to eat smaller meals, meaning when I eat, I like to eat till full. This is mainly since I don’t snack at all between meals. (This is with either Solids or liquids) So I put all my eating into the meal itself. And when I do TMAD, I probably sometimes get in more then I need, since they can both be larger meals. (But I try to put in at least 2 or 3 TMAD each week, so I’m not doing OMAD too much) This is because it’s been said doing OMAD too often can slow your metabolism? Can’t say either way, but see better results with OMAD.

(Allie) #232

No fasting for me this week as the doctor has now put me on steroids for a week to try and clear up the rhinitis… have to take them with food :frowning:

Hope it’s helpful for ya, Allie. I know I deal with sinus issues year-around myself. Hell, it could be rhinitis or simply allergies for me as well? Can’t say… I just know I stay congested most the time, and it’s only on the rare occasion that I can actually breath freely, which is always nice. :slight_smile:

(Trina) #234

Janie! Completed my first real fast ever!! Only 24 hours but I feel fantastic. Keto has taught me so much more then healthy weight loss. The discipline required to be successful just flows over to other areas of my life! Happy Fasting everyone!

Starting a fast, in support of the group of Zorn fasters here at Low Carb Houston. :slight_smile: I’m not sure how long I will go, but I am 15 hours in now.

(Allie) #236

@Digital_Dave I think I made my own problem worse by using decongestant sprays to try and deal with it so now need meds from the doc to take out the inflammation they’ve caused :slightly_frowning_face:

If you also use them then this could be an issue for you too :flushed:

I was thinking about trying something similar… about 3-1/2 on and 3-1/2 off.

• Fasting on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, through to dinnertime on Friday.
  • Eat Friday dinnertime, Saturday, Sunday, Monday with feast on Monday night.

Although the 2 on/2 off sounds good, too. Maybe easier to sustain.

(Bob M) #238

I think if you can fit OMAD into your life, it’s a benefit. I get home too late (tonight, for instance, I won’t be home until 7:15pm, won’t start eating until 7:30, go to bed sometime after 9pm). I also work out in the morning 3 days a week, which means I can last at most until 11am until I want to eat. Then I also want to have dinner with my family, so I usually eat two meals.

The day I’ve chosen as a 36 hour fast, the kids go to their grandmother’s for dinner, so I can skip a meal.

That sucks, but hopefully the Docs meds will help. … But no, I actually hate taking any meds, but never fooled with any of the Nasal sprays myself. When the congestion does get real bad, I will go ahead and take some Zyrtec, but usually only for a day or so, not liking how meds make me feel. … Feel better. :slight_smile:

Yeah I believe doing 2-on 2-off may be easier indeed, as you say, because it does seem to balance out quite well. It’s like you don’t go long enough doing either to start missing the other, if that makes sense. And I would also think by doing this, you might even be able to keep Fasting numbers in the higher range too? (I mean, as long as you don’t take in too many Carbs during feast days) This may vary, but it might keep the numbers from dropping down too much between cycles? Might have to experiment to test this? … But the only reason I mentioned doing match days, (such as 2/2, 3/3, 5/5, etc.) was so that it didn’t become scheduled. So you could just make it up as you go, doing something like 2/2, 4/4, 2/2, 3/3, 5/5, etc. for whatever set time-frame you decide on and it would constantly change some. - It might actually be like you were earning those Feasting and Fasting days by the time frame you chose to do each time. …Sounds like I have a couple different experiments upcoming here real soon. :slight_smile:

Oh believe me, I agree 100% and this was one of the main things I loved about going Keto. I had been doing OMAD for years before learning of Keto, basically since I didn’t like eating during the day, i.e., while at work. … But since I wasn’t eating low-carb at that time, it appears it actually does more damage than good, but can’t confirm this since results may vary between individuals. But apparently it can slow your Metabolism quite a bit, not only that, it also seems your body holds on to everything even more so when it’s only getting that one meal a day of carbs. - I can honestly say that I ate less back before Keto, and not meaning just the amount of meals per day, but also meal size in general. :smile:

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #240

I’m planning a 72-hour fast, starting after supper tonight. My glucose has been running at some nice levels the past few days after my fast (reset). I have chemo Monday afternoon, so I figure going into with a 72-hour fast (eating Sunday night) will be good. Other than that, its OMAD, with occasional deviations for social stuff (or a taste of keto snacks w/ the kids).

(Jane) #241

YAY!

Congrats on your first 24-hour fast!!! It gets easier the more you do it - typically… although sometimes I’ve had to stop early because it was hard. Just listen to your body and know you can always start again any time.

The feeling of control when fasting is wonderful.