October 2018 IF / EF Chat ALL WELCOME

(MelissaH) #282

How can you tell a difference between a fasting headache and just a normal headache? Or maybe the better question I should be asking is, what do fasting headaches feel like?

(Running from stupidity) #283

For me, the same as my usual elevated-level headaches (I have headaches 24/7, but they don’t really count until they crank up). Which is a PITA, because that sucks. But I couldn’t swear it’s the fasting causing it as they have random triggers, and correlation does not imply causation, so I may, yet again, be completely wrong.

(MelissaH) #284

@juice you poor thing! Constant headaches​:expressionless::expressionless: can’t imagine. I rarely get them. This is only my second fast so I’m not sure what a fasting headache feels like. I’ve heard its like a mild annoyance that comes and goes

(Carpe salata!) #285

I had constant headaches before keto. I kindof just got used to them. BUT NOW with keto, no more headaches :happydance: Lucky eh.

Melissa, I must be a tired or bored. … When I started reading your post, for some reason I really thought you were just about to tell us a joke! - And was actually looking forward to hearing the punch line! :smile:

But seriously though, I don’t get headaches personally. I used to many years ago, but believe they were related to my sinus issues. I do know that I’ve read some say that some ‘salt-water’ and 15-20 minutes might help relieve it. But since you are fasting, it could simply be your system letting you know you should eat. … This is what I told my wife, and she actually broke her fast last night, after having a headache for a couple hours. Soon as she ate something though, it went away. So I think she did around 77.5 hrs. Not bad for her first planned Fast.

I’m currently just over 74 hrs. myself now, and enjoying the ride. :slight_smile:

(MelissaH) #287

@Digital_Dave I can see how you may have thought that lol after reading my post again I can tell I’m out of it​:joy::joy:
I rarely get them either. Maybe I haven’t had enough water? I had plenty of salt under the tongue but was busy working. I thought allergies too! I took a claritin didn’t do much. I broke fast, didn’t help. Tomorrow is another day right ? Maybe I’ll try again next week

Actually, I was thinking the same as well. … I’ve fasted quite a bit this month, and have also been thinking of trying this. Can’t say I read it anywhere, just thought to give it a shot, to see if I’d like it? I usually do OMAD, when not fasting but trying to keep it mixed up, I usually just throw in an occasional second meal, which is normally a lunch. But the only time I even eat anything remotely close to the mornings anymore, is on weekends. And this can usually be closer to lunch as well. … So was thinking to throw in one or two 12/12 during the next few weeks and see how it works out? If it seems to help, I might try it more often, but if not, I will just stick to throwing in a lunch here and there. :slight_smile:

(back and doublin' down) #289

I’m three days into the 12/12 and not a fan. Not sure that’s it’s a positive or negative for weight loss. However - I’ve had hints of heartburn the last two days and dang it, I got past that months ago! This morning I just flat wasn’t hungry, so had some[spoiler] chia seeds in the fridge soaking in coffee and cream[/spoiler] that served as the morning meal. Did [spoiler]homemade egg drop soup[/spoiler] after yoga tonight. Added a few things to get some fat/calories in but still more of a ‘restricting’ sort of day. My body just doesn’t feel happy on this routine but I’m going to try to stick with it through the weekend cause I said I’d try a full week.

maybe.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #290

I figure if salt cures it, it is a fasting headache.

Yeah, I’m not sure if I will like the 12/12 or not either, because to be honest, I think it may feel forced which a lot of of times lunches do when I have something? But I guess I will see. (Just feels weird anymore to eat when you’re simply not hungry.) - It’s just that when I do have that rare lunch, it always feels like the meals are too close. Say eating something around 12Noon then again around 5-6pm. I would still rather just do the one, but do understand adding in the occasional meal helps keep the body guessing. But I think the results will be the determining factor though. :slight_smile:

This also sounds like the ‘forced’ feel I mention, and this is what I’m almost expecting? :slight_smile: We’ll see…

(Hoby Bradfield) #292

So, I just walked away from a FB group that was about the ketogenic lifestyle. I replied to a question about whether or not a BPC breaks a fast. Someone said that any fat breaks a fast, and I expressed the opinion that there were lots of different kinds of fasts. There was a back and forth over and the “leader” of the group essentially threatened to ban me because I had the temerity to disagree with him.
I appreciate the openness and acceptance of differences in opinion that I find here. Thanks for not being [spoiler]assholes…[/spoiler]

(Running from stupidity) #293

OK, so 36-hour fast running from Sat night to Monday morning. I’m going to try to make this a weekly event.

The only real issue is that Sunday is often steak-buying day from the markets…

(Carpe salata!) #294

Excellent. Waiting will make it taste so much better!

(Daisy) #295

I hit my record yesterday: 22 hours. I know that’s nothing, but for me it was HUGE!!! I tried to make it to 24 hours, but as soon as 22 hours hit, I felt the panic hit like I used to feel after 2 hours. Not the shakes as I usually get, just this panicked “must eat NOW” feeling. So I popped a mini fat bomb and a small slice of butter slathered keto pumpkin bread while I started bacon in the oven for bacon and eggs.

(KCKO, KCFO) #296

Just finishing up the Zornfast at 86hrs. without a refeed, last month I fasted 90 hrs. during that but it was two fasts back to back after a refeed meal. Very happy about making it straight through this time. I am also down 8 lbs. some will come back but I am pleased with this fast.

KCFO

(Jenny) #297

I had done a progressive fasting challenge in June and was able to get to 102 hrs for the last week (my first EF!); it was the most focused and energized I have felt in a long time. Unfortunately, life got in the way since then and I have not done any notable fasting. Remembering that euphoria has motivated me to reverse the challenge to a regressive fasting schedule for November - weekdays only, full re-feed feasting on weekends. The week of 11/5 I hope to do a 5 day EF, then a week of 36-hr ADF, which will end with my parents rolling into town for a few weeks; the week of (US) Thanksgiving dropping to OMAD except for the actual holiday, and ending the month with 18:6. My goal is to get my system ramped up for the holidays and for cold weather so December doesn’t derail my energy or heath. Fingers crossed that my resolve holds out for this plan.

(KCKO, KCFO) #298

I had not heard of the progressive fasting challenge. But since you posted the reverse, I assume you start with 18:6 and work up to the rest of the protocols. It sounds like a great way to mix it up. Thanks for posting about it.

(KCKO, KCFO) #299

Any fasting is good. You will get better at it as time goes by, some refer to fasting muscle, but it isn’t real muscle. When you can go longer remember that sometimes you body isn’t ready to fast again. Dr. Fung & Megan’s IDM program recommends you refeed at least half of the time your fast lasted before a restart.

I personally haven’t followed that rule and end up gaining back often after a fast, I’m going to be trying it after this fast I just completed.

Your meal sounds yummy btw.

(Jenny) #300

@collaroygal It was something I did in my small FB keto group to get members to experiment with fasting; it was broken out into starter and advanced (I was on the advanced schedule). The starters went from 14:7 through OMAD, adding 2 hours to the fasting window each week. I always encourage self-exploration and this was a way to ease folks into the idea of fasting. For me, it gave me motivation to break out of my comfort zone to fast beyond a day – I was pleasantly surprised with the results and with how it made me feel; I was sure that my attachment to food would be a problem, but I had the right mindset and thought it out all the way through the re-feed plan at the end of the EF so it ended up better than I had hoped. :slight_smile:

(Blessed with butter ) #302

I sure can get more done when I am not thinking about food all the time. I am starting a five day fast tonight. Wish me luck