November 2019 - IF/EF Chat Thread (All Welcome)

fasting

(Bob M) #81

It’s still good for gross measures. Say, your GKI goes down (or at least I think GKI going down is better), that’s probably true. It’s just if you wanted to know an exact number, that’s probably not going to happen.

It’s like CGMs or the scale or similar: better for trends than exact numbers.

You might ask yourself, Bob, if these are poor at exact values, why do you use them? I want to test some things, and I would use them as gross measures of what’s going on. So, if I go from high protein to high fat, and my ketone go from say 0.5 consistently to 1.0 consistently, this would be a trend. It’s if the values don’t change or are varying even after changing diet that would be an issue.

(Jane) #82

40 hrs in and creeping up on my next icon, which according to some research I haven’t followed up on (lol) is when my human growth hormone increases 5 times over the fed state. Source: Hartman et al, Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism 1992.

I love those dang icons.
Me: “Just get to the next icon, just get to the next icon!”

23 hours down and 53 to go.
I felt so good this morning. No tummy rumbles at all yet which is odd for me. I’ve got a long walk to and from my next meeting though so that may change how I feel.

Hang in there everyone!

(Failed) #85

I downloaded LIFE and would love to use it, as it looks like a good app. Unfortunately it only displays in portrait mode and the display is too small for my louy eyes to read.

I sent an email to the developer asking if they will consider landscape mode and the ability to embiggen the screen. I can’t be the only faster who is fasting for health and has vision issues.

(Jane) #86

42 hours and tested my blood around lunchtime. First very slight hunger rumbles for the day… just because my tummy knows what time it is! :laughing:

BG: 89
BK: 3.1
GKI: 1.6
Boz: 28

(Failed) #87

I got a response already from the LIFE support team:

Thank you for taking the time to reach out. I will pass this suggestion along to our product team to get prioritized as we are always trying to make our app better.

Thank you for being a part of the LIFE community!

Jason

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #88

Broke my fast at 68+ hrs. I was developing some software all morning and then gradually some brain fog rolled in. I decided to break 2 hours early. Drove home and measured my BG levels before eating anything.

BG 60 mg/dL

This morning within 10mins of waking my BG was 77 mg/dL and at 48 hrs fasted 74. I’m hoping my ketones were up some.

My lowest measured BG was 63 before. At least that is what I remember. I had no problem driving and did not feel shaky or have a headache. I had plenty of salt today as well.

I just ate some chicken bone broth, pork rinds, and sour cream. I’ll wait an hour and have a few ounces of ground beef.

I’m going to relax and see how I feel in a little bit.

I wonder why my ketones did not supplement my low BG or liver kick in more gluconeogenesis.

I’m thinking next fast in two weeks will be 48 hr to 60 hrs. Next week is a IF week for me.

(Susan) #89

Congrats on the 68 hours, Eric =).

(Failed) #90

Good job, give yourself a pat on the back from me.

(Jane) #91

Nice!

Congrats! Your numbers look good, too. I hope the rest of the night goes well.

(back and doublin' down) #93

WTG! All your data makes me want a meter. kinda…

Also liked your choice of fast breaking. I’ve got to plan ahead, since I’m breaking my fast at work tomorrow. My Thursday co-worker and I haven’t had lunch together in 3 weeks, so it’s a social thing for me. Thinking broth and hamburger.

At 72:40, and hit that Immune Regeneration icon on LIFE. Heck yea!

(Susan) #94

Eeek – good luck. I try to break fasts at home in case of umm emergency bathroom issues…

(Failed) #95

I’m at 74 hrs and still going strong. I’m hoping to break my fast on Friday. I’d like to stay with it until the scales get below 150 lbs / 68 kg, but doesn’t look like that’s going to happen. My numbers are good, though, with these averages over 3 readings BG 74 / 4.1, ketones 4.2, and GKI 1.0.

Supplementing potassium to 4.8 g and using pickles & pickle juice for sodium, along with magnesium glycinate (400 mg).

(Susan) #96

Congrats on the 74 hours so far, Dee, and best wishes for going as long as you feel comfortable with =).

(Jane) #97

51 hours in and a bit hungry at bedtime but just mild. I busied myself at dinner time by shopping for beads to repair a purse, picked up some yarn to knit more dish scrubbies and picked up a ham and promptly put it in the trunk so I couldn’t smell it while driving LOL

On to my next icon! :smiley:

(Susan) #98

Congrats on your 51 hours so far, Janie =).

(Jane) #99

Thanks!

Our hunger and appetite are stimulated by the strangest things. I’ve mentioned I love surfing the food thread while fasting and can talk about food all day long with no issues either. And plan future meals.

Smells get to me and I have to use a bit more willpower to block it. Today I discovered a new one. I was working on an expense report for my travel expenses and it includes meals. I was matching up receipts with credit card charges and was surprised at how it triggered the desire to eat. Not hunger. I remembered how delicious the meal was and just wanted to eat.

I shook it off and assured myself of a nice dinner tomorrow. It worked.

(Susan) #100

Yes, I know what you mean. Sometimes when I am making meals for everyone when I am Fasting, it makes me want to eat, even though not making me hungry. This happens moreso when I am cooking things that are Keto (like making eggs for my grand daughter in the morning, etc).