November 2019 - IF/EF Chat Thread (All Welcome)

fasting

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #61

Pee happens a lot some nights, especially when fasting.

(Susan) #62

Thank you, Dee =).

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #63

~49 hrs in. Stomach is really talking to me tonight. Iā€™m in this at least to the morning and hopefully till the afternoon.

For grins I measured my BG and it was 73 mg/dL. I donā€™t have BHB strips but Iā€™m guessing ketones are a little elevated with the 73 BG value. Iā€™m motivated to buy more keto mojo strips now.

Happy fasting all.

(Failed) #64

Iā€™m currently in hour 50 fasting. Donā€™t know how long Iā€™m going yet. At least til tomorrow, so a minimum of 60 hrs.

I was startled day before yesterday by a BG of 128 / 7.1 mmol. Apparently the nuts & raspberries I had been having in my yogurt (yogurt is 4 g carbs per 100 g) were higher than I was guestimating.

Anyway, I decided to fast, so I donā€™t know how long I will be doing it for, although my GKI is already looking good.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #65

Dee

Those are crazy good numbers. GKI of 0.8. Wow.

(Failed) #66

@daddyoh

Thanks I have to wonder how accurate the Keto-Mojo is though. I once got a reading of 7.0 ketones, didnā€™t believe it, so retested and got 4.2.

Also, today, my glucose and ketones both returned a value of 4.1 mmol.

If the numbers are accurate, they are due to taking inositol, choline, and C8 oil.

(back and doublin' down) #67

yep yep yep!

I donā€™t do any meters, so have no idea about levels. Just know Iā€™m HUMMING with energy and alertness despite a 10 hr work day. 51:23 in, and planning to do 93 hours -

and no dishes to wash :slight_smile:

(Failed) #68

:clap:t2::+1:t2:

Iā€™ve just read about how much fat we supposed to get from our fat reserves. I have plenty of fat from my viewpoint but itā€™s seemingly far from enoughā€¦ I had the same numbers when I easily fasted for days and I love to experiment anyway but I tend to be paranoid regarding my muscles and I donā€™t worry about my metabolism only because I donā€™t need to, I very nearly always eat enough and a short fast is fine. But it obviously CAN slow downā€¦
What are your experiences? Itā€™s clear a lean one shouldnā€™t do long fasts but Iā€™m not lean and I donā€™t want to do really long onesā€¦ I want to be very, very safe. Even if I have some lingering energy in the beginning, it canā€™t last long. I want to keep my muscles and my metabolism isnā€™t very quick to begin with (but quicker than it ā€œshouldā€ seeing my stats so itā€™s fine). Sure, there canā€™t be a big problem with a little fast but I have these thoughts now and Iā€™m curious. I definitely will do shorter fasts, I just donā€™t know what to think about a tad longer ones if I can do them easily enough. I donā€™t plan doing them frequently.

At the moment I plan a fast in Wednesday if I feel okay. If not, I will do another 26 hours. Otherwise it will be 47, probably. Just a single missed meal and a dinner at that, not my usual lunch.

(Jane) #70

Found this in an autophagy study (PF = Prolonged Fasting)

Fontana et al., 2010,

Guevara-Aguirre et al., 2011,

Holzenberger et al., 2003,

Lee and Longo, 2011,

Longo et al., 1997). The physiological changes caused by PF are much more pronounced than those caused by calorie restriction or fasting lasting 24 hours or less in part because of the requirement to fully switch to a fat- and ketone bodies-based catabolism after glycogen reserves are depleted during PF (

Longo and Mattson, 2014).

(Jane) #71

Those are fantastic numbers!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #72

~58.5 hrs fasted. Was pretty cold last night. Decent sleep and vivid dreams for part of the night.

Waking BG 77 mg/dL - I have morning affect so my BG is usually raised. Iā€™m assuming this is a good sign for ketone levels and just general benefits from the fast.

Iā€™m going to see if I can get to about 70 hrs today.

(Failed) #73

62 hrs fasted. Morning numbers:
BG 72.1 4.0
Ketones 3.8
GKI 1.1

(back and doublin' down) #74

Youā€™ve got this, Eric!

Iā€™m almost to 64 hours, 2/3 of the way to my 93 hour goal. Woke with a bit of a headache that a pinch of salt seems to have helped. Feeling awake and alert, with a busy day ahead.

The empty feeling really puts me in touch with whatā€™s going on in my gut. The increased awareness has me wondering of food numbs, disrupts the conversation between my gut and my brain.

Refeeding always makes me nervous. Going to spend some time today reading up on suggestions.

(Failed) #75

Looking great, Eric. Fingers crossed for you to make your goal.

(Failed) #76

93 hour goal, wow! Good luck!

What are you nervous about regarding refeeding?

(back and doublin' down) #77

Not being able to stop eating once I start. Or eating and then feeling lousy. Iā€™ve had both extremes. In coming to know my body, my digestive system seems super slow, so Iā€™m thinking I need easy stuff first, like maybe some broth, a little protein. Then later tomorrow have a planned out full meal. Feels like such a balancing act!

(Failed) #78

Your plan sounds good, and once youā€™ve confirmed it works for you, it should work each time, I would think. You may have to tweak it a bit based on your bodyā€™s response, but over time, you should find out what works best for you.

(Bob M) #79

They arenā€™t accurate. Theyā€™re gross measures of whatā€™s going on, and thatā€™s it. Hereā€™s a comparison between Keto Mojo (first column after the time) and Precision Xtra:

I also have a picture with two Keto Mojos and one Precision Xtra, and they varied from 0.2 (Precision Xtra) to 0.4 (KM #1) to 0.8 (KM #2). And hereā€™s another test comparing two Keto Mojos with different strips but ā€œcalibratedā€ using the electronic device you have to use:

If youā€™re looking for exact values, donā€™t bother.

(Failed) #80

Well thatā€™s disappointing. Thanks for posting.