November 2019 - IF/EF Chat Thread (All Welcome)

fasting

(Bob M) #41

That is likely true (though I’m not sure about the actual time). And, if you exercise while fasted, that also supposedly helps autophagy. When I make it 36 hours, I exercise about the 32 hour point. And I’m entering the fast from a ketotic state, so these two things have to speed up the process. Exactly how, would have to be through a study.

(Jane) #42

17 hours in and glad to see my ketones up to 2.0 after my carby dinner last night. No hunger yet, but just now getting to where I normally eat anyway, so wasn’t expecting hunger. By dinner I will be hungry but salt helps it fade and it comes in waves anyway so easy to ignore.

BG: 94
BK: 2.0
GKI: 2.61
Boz: 47

(Jane Srygley) #43

I started spicing up my coffee for fasting. I add cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and ginger. The cloves are key! I find the coffee is much more pleasurable that way as the spices hide the bitter aftertaste. My partner likes it too.

(Susan) #44

Had to reset my fasting app last night at 11pm. I had a slip at work.
There will be no temptations at work tonight or tomorrow night so here we go again.

(Jane) #45

I never liked the flavored coffees, but that was when I was adding sweetener and cream. I’m going to try your suggestion - sounds good!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #46

I’m jealous. My body spares ketones and produces just enough to keep in in ketosis. I do need to get some more ketomojo ketone strips because I’m going to get back to fasting more and assume my IR is lower. Maybe someday I’ll get higher ketone levels.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #47

I’m about 43 hours and and going strong.

Very empty feeling and talking to myself a little about becoming a fasting pro.

(Jane) #48

You ARE a fasting pro!!!

And my body is weird and produces more ketones than I need - I still turn pee sticks medium on normal days and dark on fasting days and I am coming up on 2 years of keto! The highest fasting ketone reading I ever got was 7.6 on my third fasting day back in January. Glucose was at 52.

(Bob M) #49

I wouldn’t hold your breath. After being low carb for almost 6 years, my morning ketones are basically 0.5. Every time. Every single time. Even eating pork belly the night before.

The good news is that I can eat very high levels of carbs, and still be in ketosis the next day. The bad news is that if I want to get high ketones, even over 1.0, I have to fast multiple days. I fasted 4.5 days, and got a whopping 1.9 on day 4.5. See this:

The two blank columns are for the Keto Mojo home/work, but I ran out of strips. The third column is for a Precision Xtra ketones, then ketonix, then blood sugar. FSL = Free Style Libre.

The maximum I’ve seen is 4.7, but I did not start tracking until about 1.5 years into low carb/keto and have tracked on and off since then. Honestly, it’s useless for me to track, as my ketones are basically 0.5 in the morning, and my blood sugar is between 93-99 right now, every morning. It’s a waste of money to track this.

(Bob M) #50

My current values (date, time, Keto Mojo at home, KM at work, ketonix, FSL pin prick blood sugar):

8:01 am on Tuesday was after exercise, which is why blood sugar went up (surprised ketones went down, usually does not happen).

(back and doublin' down) #51

Just got past 45 hours! And I hear ya… that Very Empty Feeling feels really good right now. Choosing to think that feeling is telling me my body is doing good work inside.

KCFO!

Here’s a screenshot of the LIFE app after I finished my 5-day fast. The little icons were great motivators for me to keep going. I’ve tried four or five different ones and this is my favorite. I like Zero, too.

Started my 76-hour fast. 2-1/2 hours down! LOL

I’ll be taking my blood glucose and blood pressure throughout. Feasted on an avocado and a bunch of flank steak with melted butter and then a coconut oil and cream coffee. If I hit my goal, I should finish Friday afternoon.

Over 45 hrs. presently, but had some changes that had to be made, so might break tonight? Cancelled my Eye appointment for tomorrow too and moved it up a couple weeks. So with what I have scheduled, breaking tonight would probably work out better now. If so, will put me around 48 hrs. or so.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #55

Just a gentle reminder to blur the food names in the fasting threads. It bothers some people.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #56

Dave,

Stuff happens.

I almost caved in. My Dr appt this afternoon was physically painful but I think I’m okay now. Going to mega dose on cards with my oldest tonight as my wife finishes her voting precinct work this evening. At least I can sleep and make it to the AM. Then I recommit for day 3 daylight hours.

I’ve said this before: I’m not sure why but I love sleeping when fasted. Maybe it is the technicolor dreams or the blankets to keep me warm, or both. Also I love the free fasting hours. I eagerly calculate how far I am into the fast upon waking.

(Susan) #57

Aww I am sorry that it was painful but glad that you are okay now, Eric.

I have “nightmares” that I am eating bad foods sometimes and I wake up freaking out, haha!

Darn it! I forgot again. Thanks for the reminder!

(Failed) #59

Happy belated birthday, Susan! Best wishes for your new eating/fasting plan.

Yeah, things do happen indeed. But not a big deal really. I actually think it’s going to be a long week for me, so getting in some nice meals won’t be a bad thing. … I also usually sleep quite well whilst Fasting, but my sleep this past week or so hasn’t been all that great. Not overall bad, but It’s just I keep getting up quite a few times during the night, P-ing like I drank a load of liquids before bed. But I haven’t been?

But this too happens from time to time, I’m just not sure what triggers it since after some time it goes back to regular? But rarely do I sleep through the entire night, without waking up to either Pups pawing me to go out, or simply just waking up early. I usually wake before the alarms even go off most times.