November 2019 - IF/EF Chat Thread (All Welcome)

fasting

(Susan) #21

I last ate at 10 pm last night. I had planned to do the Clark Protocol, but I am working the Overnight Mobile Team tomorrow and Wednesday nights. It’s a lot of driving around and no access to food. I think it will make it easier for me to extend my fast a little longer this time.
I will see how it goes. To start I have set my LIFE app for two days. I will probably reset it at 10pm tomorrow if I am still staying strong.

My weight has crept up to 173.1 when I wasn’t behaving myself. It was 165 at the beginning of October. i haven’t been weighing myself with any regularity. I have felt like a bear packing on the weight for winter but it’s gotta stop.

Great fasting everyone!

Currently I’m just at 19 hrs. from last night and not sure when I will break? Actually wouldn’t mind taking this one a bit further TBH, or maybe even for most of this week, but will have to play it by ear since I do have stuff scheduled for all this week and will need to see how things go.

Also wanted to mention something, as well as in my Thread… But I have an Eye Doctors appointment set up for Wednesday and the strange thing is that my right Eye seems to be “better?” here recently, without the glasses? I mean, for the most part I mainly use glasses for when I’m on the computer, and I’m told this is also what probably caused me to even need glasses in the first place. (Other then just age, now requiring reading glass to see smaller print) But I do have some lightly magnified glasses for watching TV or driving, after speaking with them last year about how my eyes would get after long stints on a computer. (only used when this is so) - And until recently, they seem to help with this. So I’m not sure what’s really going on, and hope to find out Wednesday. But now when I put them on, my Left Eye seems to be in better focus as it was before, but my Right Eye appears a bit blurry and it’s not until I take them off do things appear clear? Like my Left eye is, with the glasses on. :confused:

Now I don’t know if this has anything to do with the fact I had just started getting back into hunting here recently, (i.e., shooting bows & gun, using Binoculars, etc. … Hell, being away from Computers and TV in general? I really have no clue!) but something sure seems to have changed. Again, I will be speaking with them about this come Wednesday, but I’m finding it quite strange indeed?

(Jane) #23

I’m joining you guys tonight after I eat dinner for a 72-hour fast. Well, after I have my after-dinner coffee with cream… then will switch to black tomorrow morning (boo).

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #24

I’m about 22 hrs in and the funny thing is that when I went over 20 hrs I got cold. It is like my body said, okay seems dude you are doing an extended bast. time to make you cold.

Not too hungry today but the stomach is just very empty already. I usually feel this on days 2 and 3. Maybe because I have been approaching carnivore. I’ve been reading that meat digests in <2 hrs. I’m going to have to learn to ignore this feeling.

Still hoping for about 70hrs. Autophagy goal for loose skin and basal cell carcinoma on my head.

(Bob M) #25

Good luck, Eric.

I’m looking at a 36 hour fast, but walked into work today…and they hadn’t turned on the heat. It’s a bit chilly, but it’s up to 76 supposedly (though I still have a sweater on). Tomorrow, I give blood, so that’ll put a kibosh on the rest of fasting except maybe Friday to dinner.

Let’s hope I will break a barrier (I’m attached to my daily family meal and the idea of eating every day… it’s mental and a bit physical as well) and have a zero calorie day soon… But at least I do keto OMAD again despite I can’t buy enough of my main protein source, my top satiating food and keto is a bit harder this way. One step at a time. For now, I am slightly glad with my 23-26 hours and low enough calorie intake.
I want changes in my life now and showing I can do a 42-48 hour fast would be nice. And it would have other benefits, a fast feels a good idea after my crazy times lately. Maybe in a few days, now I want a stable keto OMAD and a certain ketosis, it’s so easy for me to undereat on OMAD in the beginning, I will be super careful as it never ends well. Fasting for longer would complicate things now but I think I will at least genuinely try soon.

No, 18-24 hours seems to be the general school of thought, depending on how fat adapted you are.

I was just saying I’m going even longer to get at least two full days of the autophagy benefits.

This is pretty much or generally what I’ve read as well, (though it’s been a while, back when I first was researching Keto) But I do know that a lot of those same folks did say this was only “their best guess”, because like @ctviggen said some post above, no one really knows for sure. And to be honest, it could be different for everyone as well, just like everything else is really. (Which would make sense) :slight_smile:

That is true. But I need some “best guess” arbitrary unproven number to shoot for! :upside_down_face:

:+1: … Oh believe me, I get that too, and completely understand. :slight_smile:

I think a lot of folks would love to know the answers to all these questions for sure, and who knows, maybe one day we will? But until then, I see us all sort of like Guinea Pigs presently, seeing what works best for us and sharing that info with others is always helpful. One of the things I love about this site. :slight_smile:

(back and doublin' down) #31

So glad to find you all here ~ I’ve been lurking occasionally and realized over the weekend that my absence from the forum aligns with my less than focused WOE. I’ve gained and lost the same 5-8 lbs over and over since January. Even though the weight’s not really changed, I’ve lost another size in clothes!

So, now I’m doubling down. Currently at 28 hrs fasted and planning at least 3 days. Going to re-immerse myself in community for both support and reinforce my own thoughts. Good to see a few familiar faces and looking forward to getting to know others better!

Happy Fasting!

Welcome back, Susan. :+1: … The bouncing around seems to be something a lot of folks are dealing with, including myself. But no biggie, just continuing marching on. :slight_smile:

Currently just over 27.5 hrs. myself and trying to figure out when I might break this time as well? I do have quite a bit going this week and not sure when might be the best. But don’t think breaking will be that big of a deal, so might just continue until I decide to eat something. :slight_smile:

(back and doublin' down) #33

Thsnks, Dave! I’ve kept calm, keto’d on and Yes, I am not sure I’ve ever stayed this stable for this long. Now I’m counting on fasting to help me move that stable line down another 20-30 lbs.

::;off to look for threads about fasting apps::::

(Jack Bennett) #34

Love that new Zero feature. Microjournaling is great stuff!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #35

At about 34 hrs. Slept good till the last 40 mins. I consider that success when fasting. I was dressed to stay warm in bed and that helped much.

Hoping to get to 70ish hours tomorrow afternoon. I count fasting days one day at a time. I have a busy schedule planned at work today.

This has been a black coffee and tea fast.

Not sure if you’re just looking for an app to just monitor your Fast, or if you’re looking for something that does much more? But I use a very simplistic one named (myfast) It does have stuff in it like scheduling, charts, etc. But I haven’t really fooled around with those, but simply use it to track each Fast since I do occasionally forget when I started. This just allows me to click on it and start and just Fast away. … I do like that you can go back and reset the start time, for when you might decide to just Fast and have to set the proper time you last ate. (Screenshot of it below if you’re interested) As it shows, I’m just coming up on 37.5 hrs. - By default, I have it set to a 5 day (120 hrs) since that’s the limit I set for myself some time back, but you can set it for any amount of time if you want to shoot for a specific time. I just leave mine on the 5-Day.

Same here, since I want to make sure to wrap up anything before going on leave for a week after today. Not like it won’t wait until I return, but I would much rather tighten things up beforehand and come back to work on newer stuff instead of jumping back into things left undone.

(Jane) #37

Welcome back!!!

Body recomp is so weird on keto. I actually gained a couple of pounds and within one week 3 people who see me all the time asked me if I’d lost more weight. :woman_shrugging:

(Jane) #38

I started out with Vora for a fasting app and then it got buggy and they never fixed the bugs so I exported the data and gave up on it.

Then I saw screen prints from an app called Life LIFE and it has cute graphics for when you should start ketosis (12 hrs), fat-burning mode (18 hrs), start of autophagy (24 hrs), growth hormone increase (48 hrs), lowest insulin levels (54 hrs) and finally breaking down old immune cells and generating new ones (72 hours).

These are just estimates based on studies, which are cited in the app. I usually don’t fast past 72 hours based on my work schedule, but I might consider extending it this time for the final benefits. I don’t break because I am hungry or need to eat - just don’t want to break right before I travel home in case of disaster-pants episodes. This week if I fast until Friday morning it will be an 84-hr fast so I will have an additional 12 hours beyond the 72-hr mark. And then 4 hours until I have to set out on a 7-hr drive, so should be good.

For us, we should already be in ketosis and fat-burning mode, so I am always curious if that “speeds up” the timeline 18 hours for us.

(back and doublin' down) #39

Just the sort of recommendations I was hoping for! Thank you!

Thanks! Good to see you! I weighed this morning…206 lbs. Have been in that range, give or take a few pounds for 11 months now. Yet, changing. Would like to think there’s more muscle given the weekends of backpacking.

oooo this sounds right up my alley! And yes, I can tell by how easy it is to skip a meal here and there that I’m staying in ketosis. Would like to think the same. I heard something recently from Megan Ross that autophagy kicks in at about 18 hrs.

Currently at 40 hours. Starting to consider a protocol I caught on a FB fasting group, fast for 2 days, eat two meals, fast another 2 days. But right now I want to see just how far I can go. It’s a busy work week and the time change has me ready to go to bed earlier. And for some really weird reason, I tend to sleep deeper when fasting!

(Jane) #40

A couple of times when I was doing more blood testing during my fasts I noticed my glucose bottomed out around 60 hours or so, then went UP. With nothing consumed but water and black coffee, so my body was obviously making glucose from my fat stores.