November 2019 - IF/EF Chat Thread (All Welcome)

fasting

(Jane Srygley) #241

Not sure why you’re doing that but sorry you’re not enjoying your food! I personally hate fasting and love my food!!! I am only doing this sh*t because I feel like I really, truly need it and it’s amazing for me.

(Jane Srygley) #242

I finished my 19 hours on Tuesday CLEAN (only black coffee, plain tea, water, etc.)!!! I was really proud of myself because it was a work day and not eating makes me even more anxious/stressed, so challenging but YAY ME!!!

Today I decided to challenge myself to 24 hours clean fasting from 5pm last night until 5pm tonight. I am at work this afternoon from 12-5. Coming up on 2pm right now and still hanging in there! I also got a lot accomplished this morning at home so I’m happy about that as well. Also happy to see my ketones have gone up a bit to .7. The highest reading I’ve had so far is 1.1 I think, which is pretty annoying… but I am hanging in there despite not seeing as much progress as I would love to see thus far.

I’m also not happy with the slight weight gain… but I know that I am still eating too much on my feeding days/times, and the other night I definitely ate some insulin-producing food. I eat keto-friendly but I am still tweaking my diet so that I don’t go overboard. And no, I’m not going carnivore–decided against that for various reasons.

(Bob M) #243

Ah, that’s heresy. :wink:

Don’t get too concerned about ketones, as higher does not mean better.

(Jane Srygley) #244

Thanks but why do you say that?

(Susan) #245

I stopped the dairy except butter since Oct 18because a lot of people mentioned to me that it stalled them and eliminating it helped them to start losing again, so I am doing it to see if it helps me, atleast until November 30 (then bring it back in limited amounts when I do use it).

A lot of the things I enjoyed eating involved things like cream cheese, this peppers sliced with cream cheese wrapped in ham or bacon by example was a favourite meal I am missing a lot atm and my HWC --I gave up putting sugar in coffee/tea in February when I started Keto and never started using artificial sweeteners in it. I stopped artificial sweeteners in June I was only using them if they were in MCT [powder, in stuff like sauces, gum, etc.but stopped using all those things in June, as I felt that they were causing stalls, causing cravings and/or causing inflammation and weight gain. I will use them on special occasions for a Keto desert like at Christmas but in general I am done with them either then for that.

(Bob M) #246

There’s no evidence higher ketones are better. Anywhere. For anything other than cancer or other maladies. As a point of reference, these are the ketones I used to get 3+ years ago (the column to the right of the time is Precision Xtra ketones at the time, cost $3+ each strip), there’s a blank column, then the next column is my ketonix (breath ketones):

These are what I get now (the column to the right of the time is Keto Mojo at home, then keto mojo at work, then ketonix, then blood sugar using a pin-prick Free Style Libre CGM):

Note the changes? And during that time, I’m down at least another 30+ pounds and gained muscle.

Edit: The ending row is 2048, so almost another 2,000 samples since the ones above.

(Jane Srygley) #247

That is amazing info thanks so much! I track my ketones too so we’ll see how that goes.

Decided not to eat tonight, and thinking I might just skip tomorrow as well? But the weekend would also be undecided too since I plan to be Hunting most of it. Only thing is I hate to weigh in Sunday mornings whilst Fasting, so if anything, will probably eat something Saturday night.

(Mame) #249

true. However I think this is yet another thing that differs widely among us all. Currently I will not lose weight unless my GKI is under 2.5. That’s what true for me. I can be eating perfect keto or carnivore and not lose weight. This is the reason I started taking these measurements almost a year ago. As soon as I had data I could clearly see that my weight loss was closely correlated for me with high ketones and low gki. If one has issues losing weight and can afford the tech it can be a really helpful tool.

( I think this is due to being in recovery from decades of hyperinsulinema. )

I am at 20hours fasted and will take and share measurements when I get home. :):grinning:

The meetings ended up being good distractions. There was even a lunch meeting.
measurements at 22h: bg=90 , bk=2.4, gki=2.08 Interesting.

(Jane Srygley) #250

Never heard of that before but I looked it up and will start to use it! Thanks!

(back and doublin' down) #251

Fasting Friday? I’m 12 hours into 42. Thankful the day is packed, scheduled over my lunch hour. For some reason, feeling like this fasting day will be tougher.

Bright side, my fearing day resulted in just a tic upwards, less than a pound. I’m super hopeful. The trends on this protocol do feel stall busting !

KCFO!

(John) #252

Fasting Friday for me, as usual. We had a company holiday dinner party Wednesday and I can use the reset.

Presently at 24 hrs and feel fine, but I did wake up a bit congested this morning. (which isn’t anything new really, but probably just the weather) - But I also have a slight wheezing when I breathe, so know I have some chest congestion going on as well. - Only thing that sucks is that it usually makes me cough from time to time, and I really hate this when I’m trying to hunt, as I have planned for this weekend. So presently drinking some Decaf Coffee to see if it helps.

(Mame) #254

Ended fast this morning at ~36 hours (duck, cabbage, olive/celery sauce, fried cheese)very hungry
bg=84, bk=3.5, gki=1.3
Successful week of 3x ADF
My eating window will be longer than usual today 10 hours? as friends are coming over for carnivore meal tonight

I am off through american Thanksgivng so not sure how and when I will fast. omad certainly a bunch of days…
Perhaps fasting wednesday and Friday this coming week? I will ponder.

(back and doublin' down) #255

@cervyn WTG Mame!

I’m doing that 3x 42 hr fasting thing, so it’s going to fit well around our American Thanksgiving. So wasn’t concerned. Now it may end up that my kids have to travel a day earlier on their plan to see family in Texas, so I may be able to dodge the whole holiday, fix a little something special for myself and stay busy with crafting.

@Digital_Dave coughing in a deer blind is never a good thing. Here’s to good luck procuring that excellent wild venison! (though, I just can’t get past the smell of it cooking. Elk, I can do…but not enough to justify getting my own. Don’t have freezer space for a whole elk either.)

Thanks. … But no, Ground Blinds allow one to get away with a little more movement, but not sound. :slight_smile: But I’m a Tree Stand Hunter myself, so usually up 25+/- feet, but it doesn’t work well up there either. :smile:

I had this happen last weekend quite a few times and it was driving me nuts. - I think my throat was just dry from the high winds and I don’t drink much while hunting either. (for obvious reasons) But they’re not calling for the high winds we’ve had the past two weekends, but instead we are getting rain. That’s always fun… :smirk: But it would be nice to put some more Venison in the freezer, yes. :+1:

That’s strange how you can handle the smell of Elk, but not Venison? I always thought they were quite similar. Though I’ve had mostly Venison myself. Plus how the animal is handled after harvesting makes a difference too.

Well, actually ended up eating something tonight, so I only went about 30 hrs. but we actually left my Wife hanging last night. … When I decided to not eat last night, I didn’t know my Son was going to do the same since he ate lunch late. So I ended up making her some Chaffles, that she put Tuna Fish and Cheese on even though she had made some Pulled Pork for us. So she ate alone. … So tonight I decided to eat something with her, especially since I may be gone for most of the weekend. :slight_smile: Plus I really don’t like Fasting on Weekends and I don’t think I’ve ever done so yet?

(back and doublin' down) #258

Fasting on the weekends depends on what I might be able to do to fill that time.

Aghghghg this Friday night thing feels really hard. I keep looking at the time wondering how early I could go to bed. Going to do some herbal tea. distract myself somehow. Not sure shopping for a sous vide thing is helping, but sheesh it’d be cool to have one.

(KCKO, KCFO) #259

Check out these videos by Dr. Stephen Phinney to understand why you don’t need high levels for benefits.

(back and doublin' down) #260

Whew! Made it through Friday night. Immersed myself in the new Dolly Parton series on Netflix. And this morning, down some more! Thinking this protocol wouldn’t be good or doable for long term, yet in the short go is helping break that stall. Of course, so is tracking and paying strict attention to what I’m eating.

Goal for the weekend is 18:6, with a focus on protein, then back to the 3x42hr fasts for three more weeks. Then I’ll change it up to keep my body guessing.

@Digital_Dave the predator birds are visible in the neighborhood trees this morning, made me think of you in that tree stand! May your procuring be successful in filling your freezer!