November 2019 - IF/EF Chat Thread (All Welcome)

fasting

(Mame) #221

LOL my digestion was singing opera last night.

I consider gut healing a major part of my journey although I also acknowledge that perhaps I do have a genetic inclination to sluggish digestion…

Just listed to a podcast episode dealing with the above issues and I thought it was excellent so I am gently passing the info on “weight loss made real” - “why hunger can feel scary” episode 151

As for me I ended my fast at 37+ hours so I met my goal. bg=86, bk=3.6, gki= 1.3

Broke my fast with caraway chaffle, corned beef, swiss, hollandaise sauce and active fermented kraut and coffee
I often wonder if having a slower digestion is the reason I do not have issues with what I eat after fasting. (even after 9 days) Anyone else notice this?

Now feeding until Wednesday eve and then fasting on Thursday! Anyone else? :wink:

(back and doublin' down) #222

Even with my slow digestion, I still had a bit of an explosive episode breaking my 63 hr fast on Saturday. ugh.

Checking out that podcast this morning! Thank you for the suggestion!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #223

At 43 hrs and had some looseness, if you know what I mean. But I did drink some Mg water this morning and probably should not have.

BG 98 mg/dL. What? Why is this so high? Low stress day. Hummmm. I might do a BG check right before I break fast at about 47 hrs.

(Mame) #224

maybe you are burning off old stored sugars from your fat cells? (which is a good thing but can give weird numbers…)

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #225

This might be. I’ve been stalled since sept on weight and the last 2 weeks I’ve lost 3 lbs. YEA. It will be interesting to see what my BG is tomorrow afternoon after resistance training in the morning.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #226

I haven’t really looked at this thread until now. I may do some fasting after Thanksgiving. I decided not to fast while sick (had a cold I picked up from one of my kids). But, interestingly, now that I started a new CGM sensor my BG levels are in my normal range…I’m suspect the sensor was having issues.

(back and doublin' down) #227

and I’m finding for myself (n=1) that fasting when I feel something coming on helps! Especially if it’s something digestive or sinus related. Go figure.

@daddyoh I know that in the first few months, as I would lose fat my body would go through all sorts of weirdness that my PCP suspected had to do with stuff/toxins stored in my fat. I even had some hormone related symptoms (hot flashes) and those hormones had to come from my stored fat because I hadn’t taken hormones in four or five years at that point!

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #228

Well, I figured that with the various stresses on my body:

• sick (bad stresss)
  • chemo (general stress)

it just wasn’t the time to also add in fasting. Its probably good that I didn’t, as my red cell counts, hemoglobin, and hematocrit were low. I’m back on my daily vitamin, so I’m hoping that improves things. I’ll know in a week, when I have my next blood draw.

(back and doublin' down) #229

us too ~ you know your body better than anyone. Sounds like you are being gentle and good to yourself. Prayers and positive healing vibes :slight_smile:

I ended up breaking at 48 hrs. Felt fine, but it was a long day today, and longer with having to run back out to the Vet again, so decided to pull out some Seafood and Steak. May skip another day before the weekend, Friday?, but not sure just yet.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #231

I broke at 47.5 hrs and did have, and still have some difficulties.

Today was easy and leading up to breaking the fast was not really hungry till I had some bone broth, then the hunger came in. I’d like to break a fast without any difficulties but lately, that has not happened.

(back and doublin' down) #232

@daddyoh

Just cause it happened now doesn’t mean it’ll always be bad. So sorry for the hurdles!

Ending my feasting day, heading back into another 42!

(Susan) #233

This 3 -44 hour fasting days a week is great, I am enjoying it too, I love fasting, haha. I need to like eating more is all – so I don’t get my body thinking it is starving again. I am doing this until Nov 30 then TMAD mostly for December except 72 or more hours for Zornfast, but I want to do this protocol in January again, I am loving it =).

(back and doublin' down) #234

and…I’m the opposite, pretty sure I need the fasting (and thankful I can do it) because I love the feasting! My last three feasting days, I’ve been over on all my macros except carbs. Definitely feasting. yet…today, after yesterday’s feasting day, up less than 1/2#! It’s a great trend downward and sensing my body being ready to release more fat.

Saw a success story from an IDM member on FB who said her success was because she never did the same thing for very long, always changing it up. I think I’m going to ride this routine until it doesn’t feel right, then switch things up.

How can we help you make the most of your feasting days? Don’t want to hear you stalling cause your body’s getting starvation hints…?

(Mame) #235

Kicked off my fast tonight- after supper- late 10pm. Going 36 hours Could go longer if I feel it but not necessary.

I have 6 hours of meetings tomorrow. Perhaps they will be a good distraction. Or perhaps they will make me want to eat in frustration. Who knows.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #236

I’m on my second unplanned 48 hour fast since Saturday afternoon. I IF everyday with about a 5 hour eating window. I was surprised how easy it was for the 48 hour. Not my previous experience. The fasts were spontaneous because I lost my appetite due to life problems. I plan on eating tomorrow. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Susan) #237

Not having any dairy and me not liking meat a lot makes it difficult at times, plus I rarely feel hungry, so yes… hehe.

(back and doublin' down) #238

You get to choose! I’d go for distraction. :slight_smile: Hope your day goes well away from food and wishing you the best with six hours of meetings…ewww…good luck with that too!

David, sorry to hear that. Seems like you found a way to see it as an upside? I concur that shorter eating windows prepare us for a longer stretch. The 42 hr fasts this week have seemed much easier than the ones last week. Hope things turn in good directions for you!

Glad you track! With all you have going on and the family depending on you, it’s good to know you’re getting your nutrients on days you eat. Applaud your willpower on the dairy. HWC is my crack :slight_smile:

At 36 hrs and will make 42 without a problem. Packing a big lunch, then will eat more ‘pauper’ like tonight and fast again tomorrow. Though the weekend is feasting, I’m planning to stay busy with some hiking and crafting, weather permitting.

I bet it does! :exploding_head: I hope you like enough other stuff to at least keep options available…

Though I’ve given up Diary for a month before just to test how I would feel, it does play a big part of being Keto for me. Not saying I couldn’t live without it, but it does provide limitations since I do like to partake in a lot things Dairy related. … At the very least, I would have to keep Butter in play. I have to have something to dunk my Seafood and Meats in. :smile: And yes, I do indeed dunk my Steak in melted butter while I eat. Started this when I would have Seafood & Meats together, and now like it when it’s just Steak. … V will sometimes cut her eyes and smile at me whenever she sees me drinking the remaining butter from a dish, like from Cauliflower, etc. that I had soaking in butter. :laughing:

(Susan) #240

I would love to eat shrimp and the lovely seafood you eat a lot bvubut don’t because I cannot afford it but it would be something I could eat daily. I just eat to eat most days lately and not really enjoying eating but that is okay =).