November 2018 IF / EF Chat ALL WELCOME

(Jane) #305

Broke my fast a bit earlier than planned - 37 hrs instead of 40, but close enough. Was cooking and finally popped a green bean in my mouth to see if it was done. It was and as I swallowed it I thought to myself “Does eating one green bean break a fast?” I laughed and thought it would make a great parody thread!

I stopped my Vora app and grabbed the HWC and added to my coffee like an addict needing a fix.

We will feast today, eat normal keto tomorrow and start another 36-hr fast Fri night and break it Sun morning.

(Alex ) #306

Ok, another fasting morning/afternoon - trying hot water with some Apple Cider Vinegar in - it’s sort of like drinking Lemsip, but without the drugs…?!

(Allie) #307

You could add a little lemon juice if you wanted to, I know lots of people do.

(Alex ) #308

Yeah, no lemon juice in the house sadly - I need to do a big shop to be honest, I am on basic rations currently and getting by on what odds and ends I can find in the cupboards. I’m going shopping next week and switching up my supplements big time, tablet based electrolytes will be one purchase on the list.

Really want to get in on the keto-aid action and see if I can get through a full weekend fast, but I don’t want to end up with horrendous headaches and coldness.

I have rock salt, the ACV, magnesium sulfate/epsom salts but something tells me that might taste completely vile as a sipping keto drink, let alone the back end action that might start happening!

I presently do mine this way…

20 oz. water bottle
1/2 tbsp. Magnesium Citrate
1/2 tbsp. Lemon Juice
1 tbsp. ACV
1/4 Morton’s Lite Salt

It may have a required taste, but after a short time, it’s really not that bad. But yes, the Lemon Juice is good for preventing Kidney Stones, not to mention other stuff. And the ACV has a lot of benefits as well. - I do one each morning, and when Fasting, I do another when I get home in the afternoon. So basically 6am and 6pm.

(Alex ) #310

Good tip… Whats the difference between using Magnesium Citrate and Magnesium Sulfate? Sounds like I’m not a million miles away with mine really, although I’m not getting the potassium I would with the lite salt?

Not real sure, since I’ve only ever used the Magnesium Citrate myself. But pretty sure that during the research I did, I recall reading that the Magnesium Citrate was the best absorbed overall? But don’t quote me there. Also believe @Brenda might have said this as well? It was her recipe I used and just added the MC & LJ to that.

(Alex ) #312

Magnesium oxide: Often used in milk of magnesia products since this form has a strong laxative effect. Even though this combination contains a large proportion of magnesium compared to the oxide molecule, it has poor bioavailability and readily causes loose stools; therefore it is considered the least optimal form to use as a supplement.

Magnesium sulfate: This form is often used as an intravenous preparation but it is not used in oral formulations. Since it does have some absorbability through the skin, it is also found in Epsom bath salts.

Magnesium citrate: A commonly used form that has a good bioavailability compared to oxide. It is also very rapidly absorbed in the digestive tract but it does have a stool loosening effect.1 This form is found in many supplements and remains a solid option for delivering magnesium into the body.

(Alex ) #313

can confirm my use of magnesium sulfate (Epsom Salts) ABSOLUTELY works effectively as a laxative!!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #314

Yes. Magnesium citrate is the best absorbed of all. That’s why sometimes it works too well and can loosen the stool in some people. Two very highly absorbable forms of magnesium that do not cause GI distress are magnesium glycinate and magnesium malate. If there is no issue with constipation, glycinate and malate are the best forms of magnesium to buy.

Its fasting time! My digester needs a break.

(KCKO, KCFO) #316

More easily absorbed by your body. I need more magnesium than most people, so I have the powdered form and use it in lots of things.

(Jane) #317

I’ll be joining you guys this evening for another short fast - only 40 hrs this time.

(Alex ) #318

I will keep my eyes peeled for the citrate version!

(KCKO, KCFO) #319

Was 12 hrs. into a 36 hr. fast. Forgot and put cream in my coffee, so will have to do a fast for autophagy next round. Was the whole point of starting a fast last night. So I’ll eat later today and begin another 36 hr. fast after dinner tonight. Hopefully, I won’t go all autopilot and grab the cream with tomorrow’s coffee.

(Jane) #320

In the US you find it in the pharmacy section in a liquid bottle. It’s main use it to clean you out for a colonoscopy but you drink the whole bottle (or two) for that.

The last time I bought it the checker gave me a sad look and said “you poor thing” and went on about how horrible it was. I just nodded and smiled.

(Alex ) #321

Yeah, I heard about those type of one-shot products, sounds similar to Milk of Magnesia avail here a few years ago. I find Epsom Salt great in the bath for relaxation and great when I am moderately/chronically without BMs, which is regularly when eating a lot of meat and less than average fibre etc. It tastes like Satan when going down, so I always cut it with something tangy/citrus when its needed!

This :point_up: … Starting back maybe 10 to 15 years ago?, I would drink one of these little bottles if I found I was having any stomach issues that lasting for a couple days or so. And yes, is does indeed clean you out completely. (And usually helped my stomach get back to normal) I also always made sure to be around the house when I did this, but usually does it’s job in the few hours that followed. So I was accustomed to this stuff way before going Keto. … But the 1/2 tbsp I use daily, or twice, does not effect me in any way.

(Alex ) #323

Yeah, it’s a pretty gross topic really, but at the minute, or whenever I’m reducing certain food groups and concentrating on proteins and fats, 1 BM every 3 days is good for me, and I’m the type of guy that would definitely prefer 1 a day! If there’s a way to balance that out, and also got a shot of medicinal magnesium in there too to help with this plan, all the better.

(Alex ) #324

Should point out - an effective dose for me is circa 1-3 tablespoons of sulphate… backed up with around 2 litres of water… that’s done its job within 3-4 hours.

Excuse my pile of dead fairies