NoVegNovemberCarniStyle

(Michael) #61

Check out Thymus or Pancreas for vit C. Thymus is tasty, for me it is like walnuts, but meat instead of nuts.

(Robin) #62

You’re tiny, (if I know my pounds to kilograms)! Way to go. Hope all your test come out ok and that you feel better and better every day.

Sorry to hear that of course, but I also think you might be the first person to say you had some. At least I don’t recall anyone else ever speaking about eating it. Though I think I read many years ago, that it’s supposed to be good & helps the immune system or something like that. As well as some other things, but can’t recall all the benefits since it’s been so long. But think it was during a time I was looking into the parts of Deer that most people don’t usually consume. Matter of fact, most don’t fool with the heart or liver either, but simply consume the meats themselves.

@Karen18
Sounds like you are doing good K…happy about that.

On those blood thinners, are those temporary do you think or is it something you are going to have to live on for life? You might not know yet on that one, but just wondering on it.

@Naghite
I never saw a spleen either. For sale around me there is nothing at all out of the ordinary, I guess our area wouldn’t support the purchase of stuff like that. We sent our cattle to our friend for processing so I never actually did a cow for processing.

FAB pics of meat on the board as usual :slight_smile:

---------------today I got NY Strip steaks. Back to beef. I finally finished off those last few chicken wings, ugh. No more for quite a while.

along with beef I might cook up a package of shrimp. been a while for a good ol’ surf and turf.

Chug along guys!! Keep carnivore in our hearts and on our plates thru this festive holiday time of year :sunny:

Yeah, same experience. It’s only got better and better on carnivore. Still a pain, still annoying etc - but it’s the difference between being in excruciating agony vs relatively mild irritation.

I think you’ve had some good answers on this already, but just to reiterate, tracking is not necessary on carnivore - and it can throw you in the wrong direction.

Eating to satiety is much more important, and there can be an adjustment period (perhaps with a little associated weight gain).

Even tracking out of curiosity can cause your brain to interrupt and say, “Errrr, 1800 calories used to be enough, let’s stop,” - but if you leave your appetite to it, it should adjust naturally over the coming weeks.

I noticed an uptick in metabolic processes - so I might’ve been eating double the calories I was on keto, but it doesn’t mean they were going onto my body as fat; it seems my body was using the nutrition to fix other things - heat, muscle, cycle etc.

I know Paul has posted a few times about how calorie intake and expenditure tend to marry up over the course of a few days - and one thing I’ve really noticed now that I am driven by appetite signalling is that my hormonal cycle really dictates my hunger levels. At some points in my cycle, I eat very little - and at other times, I can eat thousands of calories.

My body clearly requires that nutrition at certain points - and if I was still tracking, I would’ve tried to grit my teeth and not succumb to hunger.

I know that some on the forums talk about their hunger signalling not being reliable; I found that mine improved massively on keto and even more on carnivore - so if that’s a concern for you, you might find that it improves.

I hope that information was helpful - I am just very mindful that the diet industry has long told women that their calories need to be super low, and I think in reality, whilst calories matter in the big picture, it should be a process that your body takes care of if we’re eating more ancestrally appropriate foods (i.e. not hyper palatable foods designed in factories).

I probably wrote many times that I can’t control my calories… IK just count them. Vaguely. Sometimes.
It’s very important sometimes. I wouldn’t know when I should eat more or change something… Yeah, I can eat as much as I want and 1 years later if I still lost no fat, I could know I eat too much (because I am this simple, it’s more complicated for some) but it’s more useful to know it a bit earlier. (Not like I would ever lose fat if I know it earlier, I stall either way but I still want to make a honest attempt.)
I don’t just feel when to stop… Sometimes I do, other times I don’t. Sometimes I am satiated but MUST eat more. Or hungry but must stop and all will be perfect later.
It’s very individual how often we are clueless only using our body signs. Some people must eat according to numbers as they don’t feel things right, can’t tell starving or overeating apart let alone everything in between. Some people automatically eat right. If I leave myself alone, I automatically overeat on most diet, my SO is the same but he only can do HCHF. But very low-carb and/or a tiny eating window helps to avoid it. I just eat too much to lose fat but main thing is to avoid overeating as it’s no fun.

I obviously didn’t talk about myself when saying people obviously track on carnivore as I am very far from carnivores, I don’t even want to be one ever… I can’t even stick to keto for 3 weeks (probably could if really wanted but I just want to feel right and be healthy and fit enough for 8 more decades)… I am an on/off person with some nice trend and changes, I am very pleased with it as long as I can keep my OMAD that I got back, finally.
And now I want to lose fat too (I mean, more than I could manage in the last many years when I stalled. I see the light and wanna grab it!) but OMAD and staying close to carnivore (that I usually do very automatically) should help. Very, very slowly. (I am a huge optimist, always were.)

We are all individuals. No one knows what could happen to me on very, very long term carnivore. But I don’t care about that as it has zero chance anyway. I really like my on/off carnivore-ish when I don’t mess up things too much but they are unavoidable at this point. I will evolve and all will be good. Practice makes things way better.

I DON’T HAVE dieting baggage or very minimal, I never “dieted” in my life. That’s not my style. Of course I eat whenever I want… But I want to feel GOOD while doing it, I want convenience and feeling nicely satiated all day. That’s why I love OMAD. I eat when I want (or when I need. even if I don’t want to eat, I can’t stand serious hunger for 5 minutes and know better than not listening to my body when it wants food) and I never have those zillion problems with too small meals, they makes me hungry and I need to eat again and again, very annoying. I do it when I must but if I stop this on some lucky day and can do OMAD, things get better.
(This is just me now, I was different in the past, couldn’t do OMAD without lots of carbs but I learned to eat much even on carnivore. Useful but I just can’t afford multiple meals - even if they wouldn’t annoy me. TMAD is fine but I can’t do it nowadays and OMAD is way better for me.)

I HATE overeating, you know. Did it all my time. It’s horrible. And OMAD helps me with it and the many small meals problem (many problems. if I have too many meals, my carbs will go up, it’s how things work. I don’t have enough carnivore items to make many meals not boring. one has a chance). I am a huge OMAD fan now. And I am curious how long I can do it :smiley: Tracking is important when I reach the too easy satiation again (if I ever do it)… Without it, I don’t know I ate too little and will eat at 1am and the next day I will get hungry too early and everything will fall apart, probably carbs come too… Nope. Not that. I always can eat a bit more when I see on the numbers I need it.
It’s a new order, I need this help. Later I won’t track, of course, why would I? The best would be to eat very very similarly on most days, I wouldn’t need to track then. I can’t guess if my meal was 1000 or 2000 kcal… I am horrible at that. My body usually counts calories super well (no wonder, it works with them) but it doesn’t care about timing so I just get a note from it after midnight that I missed out some and NO, next day won’t be good enough and it doesn’t care that I already wanted to go to bed. I had enough of that.

Oh but I didn’t want to write much. I wanted to announce that I bought so much meat, yay! I have proper food to eat again! :smiley: It will be loads easier now.
Pork chuck (the shop had 1.5kg… oh well, it’s fine), turkey thigh filet (for Alvaro, he wants to make curry, turkey is really great for that), some not so dry sausage with a pitiful meat content but it’s a not dry, cheaper one… I like my sausages with 115-150% meat if we count the meat in its original weight but they are dry, of course they can have that), head cheese and turkey necks. All non-expensive, the village shop is good at that regarding meat when they have pork sales on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. But as I looked, even their mascarpone has a good price now. Wow. In the past they were so expensive with tiny variety. The latter still stands, of course, it’s a small village shop but it’s fine for me, we go to city shopping every month anyway. But sometimes they have NO meat just chicken. I bought the last pork chuck pieces today and it wasn’t even late.

I still try to keep myself from the Internet, I know I always will be an addict and it’s perfectly fine but I want it to be at healthier levels and I need some longer alone times to focus on things.

Probably wrote it before but I never thought I have control over my body, it has control over my actions (that’s why I can’t do carnivore, I may decide on it but my body must cooperate)… I eat when it wants to eat, no matter what, no matter the reason. Except if the brain overpowers it. They can totally disagree and I just try to survive the chaos but must do what the stronger one wants.
(Yep I feel even different from my brain sometimes. often. It has different parts, after all).

And I wrote that too I think… Sometimes I just want to feel right. I don’t want to eat or anything, I just want a bad feeling go away… And I have NO IDEA what to eat and how much. I don’t feel any desire or urge for it. I just strongly suspect it would make things better…
(If I have no idea, I always eat eggs so it’s quite easy. Except when I don’t have eggs or I hate them. But that’s rare. We bought 90 today.)

And I know I wrote about this already that. HOW ON EARTH could I get this information? I don’t know what I need, when and how much all the time! I need to decide and experiment. And my body just changes :frowning: so I can start again… At least a few things never change. Or I think.
And it’s me with my much experience (not much on carnivore, though) and my very communicative body! It usually tells me what it wants… But I don’t always have the full knowledge about an ideal meal. I try to do it right and it will be fine or not.
As far as I know, others know even less about these things, their body just says it’s hungry and that’s it. Or not even that, it says nothing and everything is up to the one in question to figure out the whole thing.

This is something I wrangled a bit with in my Accountability thread. I have an illness and I take certain medications - and I know that they can affect appetite.

So I could roll the dice and ‘do as the carnivores do’ - and trust that the plan will work, but in the back of my mind, I also knew that I was taking in something that could affect my signalling. I was very concerned about getting a year in and not seeing the improvements I wanted to - as you say, it’s wasted time.

But. And this is a very important point - you don’t actually know which lever you need to pull. You don’t know that the answer is eating fewer calories. You can’t look at other people and think, “I should’ve had their success,” - because you don’t know their starting point compared to yours. You might look or weigh the same, but your metabolisms could be in very different places.

So you could go down the route of calorie restriction, but how do you even know if that’s the right route? How do you know that it will have the desired outcome? What about if you lost weight in the short term, but you slow your metabolism and you put it back on again in a year’s time? What if your body was actually seeking more calories, and by undershooting, your body stops some of the non-essential processes because it doesn’t want to ‘waste’ intake?

I think that’s what the carnivore community keep getting at - you can’t just dive into something and then randomly yank different levers and want immediate success. (This is generic ‘you’, by the way - not directed at you, Shinita.)

I totally get it - I started this in August last year and I thought I would’ve been thinner than I am now, but I am not unhappy with where I am at. A bunch of other things have been “fixed” and that gives me the brain strength to know that my body is sorting things out, and although I might’ve liked it to prioritise my body fat over everything else, it is doing so - just on a timescale that doesn’t line up with mine.

I have, for the record, lost a significant amount of weight and grown a significant amount of muscle. I could’ve panicked and changed things and maybe I’d have got it wrong and ruined my progress. Or maybe I’m wrong now and I would’ve got to goal a lot more quickly.

I guess my point is that we don’t actually know - and whilst we’re happy to throw away other ‘wisdom’ from other ways of eating, we cling to calories as if they’re a universal truth. They’re part of the picture - along with macros and hormones - but not the complete picture, especially not on carnivore.

Your post was super fantastic S!

My overall saying about carnivore is one must put time on this plan to gain extraordinary benefits :slight_smile: but they don’t come to each of us at the same time so only way to truly understand these changes is to wait and darn no one wants to wait, but if one does on this plan, so many amazing changes happen to us!!

Again, wonderful reading your post!

@Shinita
ok ok :wink: do you

(Robin) #70

@Septimius @Shinita @Fangs
Ya’ll are a good trio of voices to have in my head. I appreciate your input, even when it conflicts… there is something to learn in that as well.

listen to the people on plan before you listen to guesses from other info out there :slight_smile: Thing is I wrote to Septimius that her post is spot on but time changes us so put in that time R and see what changes you achieve…believe me they are fab :slight_smile:

(Karen) #72

Funny but I don’t see myself as tiny. I am 5’4"

I have had a very unhealthy issue with weight and eating since I was 19 when I got rather large. After years of your dieting I eventually learned to manage my weight when I started using a gym aged 44 but even after that I went through trying different ways of eating.

At school I was as thin as a rake and flat chested and got teased about my size all the time. I hated going to school because the taunts were daily. Then when I put on a lot of weight at 19 I got the remarks … oh you used to look so nice when you were slim! So I suppose it is no surprise that I still have some underlying self image issues.

Having no boobs isn’t a real issue these days as the more I got into my fitness the more I didn’t envy the girls with big boobs lol. However I still have image issues. They are probably more at the forefront of my mind now I can’t do my usual full on exercise.

(Robin) #73

Yeah… we carry around those old messages to this very day. I had the opposite problem, big busted at an early age. That’s a whole different challenge, but both are equally difficult and ridiculous rites of passage that girls go thru. I think (hope) that girls today are smarter than that and at least hear opposing messages to the nonsense.

(Karen) #74

@Fangs, I am on the blood thinners for life so I have been informed.:roll_eyes:

I have had a good day today. I think it is all a matter of managing my day and knowing my limits. I had a phone call from the pharmacist at my medical centre. He clarified a few points for me which was good and he was very nice and helpful.

I had brunch of cold roast lamb shoulder and then took a walk into local town to collect some more free polystyrene for the planters. It was lovely and sunny and I took my trolley so I could walk back without carrying anything heavy. Just as well as went around the charity shops and picked up a couple of white whicker style plastic bins to use as planters, also a lovely royal blue metal bread bin with handles for a snip to use as a planter, a mouse sander (not from charity shop lol) and a couple of other bits for the garden from charity shop. Did a lot of walking and when I got home I did a bit of pooch sitting for my next door neighbour.

Was able to walk at a good pace and didn’t feel tired. I think that may have been because I left at midday and was back for 2.45pm. Last time I did the walk I left later in the afternoon and I think it was just too late. Being outdoors definitely did me some good.

Dinner was cheese and last of the roast lamb. The second lamb shoulder looked bigger but had more bone in and so not as much meat. I have put the bones in pot and am making some lamb stock from them.

(Amy the Silly Sausage 🌭) #75

@robintemplin I can relate… I developed breasts very early at age 10, and got bullied terribly by all the boys and girls in my class. So I wore a jumper even on a very hot summers day… And even at age 16, I had bigger boobs and a very tiny waist, so everywhere I walked, idiot men would whistle at me in a sleazy way. And with my abusive past I had trauma associated with pervy males. Male Work colleagues would randomly comment on them too and I would be so so embarrassed. :sob: I used to wish I could have none at all. Now I don’t care as much… But I get it… :upside_down_face: and @Karen18 Thankyou for sharing a bit of your past on here…Bring teased at school is just awful and i feel for you… I am glad you found a new WOE and ditched the unhealthy diet stuff… I’m glad you found your fitness and I wish you all the luck with all the health stuff you have been facing.:hugs:

(Karen) #76

Thank you, I am sure I will get there, will just take time to get back to my usual level of exercise. Mind you we are doing a challenge of 3000 push ups fr November . I am not doing it for charity as I can’t guarantee having good days throughout the whole month and I started on 2nd but have done 300 so far. Wasnt really up to them yesterday but ploughed on with note 120 today. Only doing girlie ones but its better than nothing.

Yeah my mum said that kids only tease the kids they like … hmmm didn’t make me feel any better then and I know now that kids are just wicked and it was bullying! Used to cry a lot over it as I am sure you must have too.

It does leave us a bit scarred doesn’t it albeit we may put on a brave face as we get older.

(Amy the Silly Sausage 🌭) #77

@Karen18 Omg, I used to get told the exact same thing. That they only tease you if they like you… I find that concept SO odd!!!:scream: My Mum was a very thin child too, they used to call her string bean… and she gained a lot of weight at age 18 and then she got body shamed because of it… so she went on a diet and lost all the weight and sadly the dieting stuff followed her for decades. Yet she is now 54 and she told me the other day, she is content with her body for the first time in her life. She doesn’t diet anymore. She just eats healthy wholesome food and does a lot of physical stuff. She always was very active as she worked with Racehorses her entire life. She was a jockey and then a horsetrainer. Yes, it does leave us a bit scarred, I am still trying to deal with my past. It haunts me, but writing my story as confronting as it is, I hope will help me heal in the end. I am sending you so many healing vibes and energy. Push-ups, see you are a warrior woman :grinning: I wish and hope all the best for you…:purple_heart:

I am lucky, no one cared about me, I was a loner. Haven’t the foggiest idea when I developed boobs but they are pretty normal, cup C. Well that’s quite big to me, B would be better but I have no problems with them, they never get sore or sensitive either…
I never cared about my looks as I never was pretty but awfully ugly either. It’s good, saved me much time :smiley: And not because this middle ground is where makeup makes wonders but it sounds such a chore so I ignored its existence. It would be fun though. If I had any idea and real motivation what to do.

Did I ever mention I can’t do 1 push up? Probably not even the girlie one but maybe 1 of that. Oh well, I never needed it so…It just sounds lame but me not being able to run 100 meters years after trying, that’s even worse :smiley:
But I get stronger, it’s something. Last workout was unusually bad after so great times, today’s was normal, next time I expect improvement.

My eating was problematic today. The usual insane case when I am so hungry but both eggs and meat are off-putting… I just hope that the properly roasted pork chuck will help tomorrow, it wasn’t fully ready when I ate today (sometimes I do this. maybe I shouldn’t). Not raw at all but not very, very well, colorfully roasted as I like, it’s cooking in its own water in the first hour even if it’s a smaller amount like now. I had processed meat, some turkey helped too, I always can eat eggs in some form (but in the worst case only as dessert) but it wasn’t nearly as good as on the days when I just go and eat a big amount of fatty roast.
Oh well, personal problems. I am perfectly satiated now.
If I won’t like my roast tomorrow, it’s a temporal problem and I switch to stews and other less frequently used meat dishes. I always can eat those fried egg+meat+optionally skin things. Maybe I should keep some ready to eat in the freezer but no, I always eat them up…
My eating window was 3.5 hours, not so bad.

Sorry, I try not to come as I can’t stop thinking about my eating and then I write it down. But @KetoKoala said there was boob talking :slight_smile:

(Robin) #79

Talking about attractiveness and boys and bullies. My son is now 39. Adult with autism… but living independently and walks to work as a grocery sacker. Anyhoo… he said one advantage to being “special ed” is that looks aren’t a big deal…. It’s jus trying to find someone like you who likes you…. We should all be so “special”

(Amy the Silly Sausage 🌭) #80

@robintemplin Your Son sounds like an amazing person :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: And I agree with your Son, who cares about looks… It is what is inside that counts… and i wish everyone could think this way… it would be a much more beautiful world.