Not hungry?

(Kathrine) #1

Hello everybody.

I’m 6 weeks into the keto diet and I’m almost never hungry and I really can’t remember what it feels like…
Sometimes I only get hungry 1 time a day but I still force myself to eat my protein…
Is this normal?
I only have 15 pounds to lose, so I think it’s pretty extreme that I don’t have any real hunger…?

Hope you can help me, I’m a little bit worried.

(Cywgdave) #3

Most important is to ask yourself how you feel. Do you feel OK? Or do you feel as if there is something physically wrong. Lethargy, headache, cold etc. If you feel fine then don’t worry at all. Our bodies are way too smart to let us get to a point where it’s dangerous or a hazard.

Last time I checked a couple of days ago I only have about 5-10 lbs to go to where I’d like to be and I quite often as well don’t get hungry more than once or twice a day. I don’t usually force myself to eat, if I feel OK and am not hungry then I just go with it.

Enjoy the ride, it’s pretty cool not having to worry about when or what the next meal is going to be. Although it takes some getting used to- it’s a major shift in mindset for most folks.

(Kathrine) #4

Okay I’m very happy to hear your answers!

Well sometimes my body feels heavy and I’m a little bit tired but then I take some electrolyte mix and it really helps me.
I tried to spontaneously fast because I wasn’t hungry, and I got this feeling of being high?? Not in a bad way, but in the good way. I had so much energy, and extreme mental clarity?

(Consensus is Politics) #6

After my initial weight loss of 40 pounds in two weeks (not a typo, that’s fourty pounds in 14 days. Never gets old bragging about that :cowboy_hat_face:). I hit my plateau. I went from 245 to 205 and stayed there for months. I would bounce up and down about 5 pounds week by week. But always come back to 205. Very frustrating.

Once I stopped trying to loose more weight, it started coming down. During the plateau, I was forcing fasts. I set myself a schedule, I will only eat in this 4 hour window. Fasting the rest. Got stuck at 205. So, I gave up on trying about a month ago now. I just started eating whenever hungry. I stopped eating once I felt “not hungry”. I don’t eat until I feel full, as I can eat quit a bit, and will very easily over eat. So I just stop eating once I don’t feel the need to eat. It’s a balancing act, to eat or not. Do I need to eat or do I want to eat. Very often I just want to eat, so I’m careful to make it something I’m not going to gorge on.

Anyway, I broke my plateau a couple of weeks ago. I’m at a new plateau. 195 pounds. This time I’m hovering at 197 +/- 2 pounds instead of +/- 5 pounds. I have to say, it’s noticeable too. There was a time, not very long ago, when I’d need to sit down, take my shoes off, place them in my lap to tie them. Not so much because of the gut getting in the way when bending over, yes, that was a thing too, but if I knelt down, I had a hard time getting up. There were even times I would get stuck. I actually crawled across the floor to get to a table so I could assist myself back up. I had a running joke at the time, “you know your getting old when you kneel down to tie your shoes, and you look around to see if you can get anything else while you’re there”. Turns out that’s not aging thing, but an over all health thing. Last night I bent down, tied my shoes, and stood up straight. And thought, “wow… did I forget to look around? And I didn’t need to use a hand hold or rely on inertia to get up all the way.” Ok, the inertia thing shows my geeky side, so if you don’t get it, you aren’t a geek. :nerd_face:

So coming back from verbosity now, :cowboy_hat_face:, listen to your body. It knows better than you do.

(Consensus is Politics) #7

I make a meat loaf with hamburger, layered with cream cheese and bacon, using chia seeds instead of bread, and vary the spices as I try to find the perfect recipe. It lasts me three to four days. I could very well eat it all in one day, eating half of it now and the other half four hours later, but I’m trying to have my body tell me when it’s time to eat, as opposed to stick to a rigid schedule. It seems to be working :cowboy_hat_face:

(Kathrine) #9

What an amazing progress! And congratulations!!!

It’s just weird because since i gained these 15 pounds i want to lose, I literally lost my hunger?? Maybe it’s a leptin response?
I have tried to go hclf but it gives me symptoms of insulin resistance and I’m craving sugar without being hungry…

After I started this lifestyle I’m just not hungry…
But I’ll trust my body :)! I’m only 6 weeks in and I haven’t lost a significant amount of fat, but maybe it’ll come.

(Raj Seth) #10

I haven’t been hungry since Halloween ‘17 when I went full keto. The eat signals are different now. More subtle and a lot less urgent. Not what i used to think of as hunger…
I just follow Jason Fungs mantra ‘when eating, eat. Eat till full. When not eating - don’t eat. Don’t eat when not hungry”
Of course I have to make myself eat when I’m feasting and not fasting. I eat dense foods like liverwurst, sausage, salami, macadamia steak burgers bacon asparagus sauerkraut anything lacto-fermented etc
Since I started fast feast cycling - inches have been sliding off and the weight has been steady. I’m happy with the progress. Lost 80lbs and 12” so far. 60lbs and 6” left to go.

(Consensus is Politics) #11

A HCLF diet is a recipe for Type 2 Diabetes. I should know. Been there. Took me but two days of LCHF to see a noticeable, nay, make that drastic improvement of my condition. Once I realized the conventional wisdom on diet was based on politics, not health, it became very clear. Ignore about 99% of what the experts said, and follow my gut instinct. It paid off. Major weight loss, energy levels that make me feel 30 years younger (currently 54, but feel like I did in my 20’s. That’s a relative thing I’m sure. I felt so crappy for so many years, that was my new normal. Once out of that fugue, it’s amazing!).

(Renee Slaughter) #12

Question? Instead of bread crumbs you use chia as a binder? If so how much? Any nutritional specs?

(Renee Slaughter) #13

It will come. Imagine my surprise when I gained weight on Keto the first month Dec 2017. Now it’s coming off about 2-3 lbs a month. Now I’m within my goal size maybe about 10 more. Better health and stability.

(Todd Allen) #14

Enjoy it while it lasts. It probably won’t last until you reach goal weight but even when your appetite returns you will hopefully find it less intense and more manageable on keto. I used to fear hunger now it’s just unpleasant but never scary.

(Todd Allen) #15

Chia has an excellent nutritional profile if you are a net carb person. It’s 4 g carbs per tablespoon but almost all fiber. Very high in omega-3 fats, super high in vit. K, high in iron, manganese, phosphorus, B6 and more. And I think has all essential amino acids though probably too expensive to use as a major protein source unless you are a rich vegan. Actually COSTCO has it at a reasonable price, less than $3 / lb for organic. I make a tasty pudding with chia in HWC.

(Kathrine) #16

Hey again!

Okay I just had a weird experience…
I went out for a walk for 1.5 hours and after I came back home I felt real hunger. I was craving fats and proteins and I ate a big amount of food.
I just felt that my body needed to be loaded with a lot of food.

(Tubeman) #17

I think never being hungry could be a complaint for the ‘keto complaints’ thread!

I, for one, do not miss being hungry all the damn time. Didn’t even realize I was hungry all the time until I started keto! I still get hungry, but it’s different now, less urgent.

(Pete A) #18

I call that me being “fussy”! :smirk:

Omg sounds so good

Get it girl

Mmm “macadamia steak burgers” sounds amazing!

(Consensus is Politics) #22

I use the chia seeds the following way…

2 tablespoonfuls per pound of meat. It seems to scale pretty good that way. I have made 1 pound, 2 pound, and 5 pound meatloafs, and 2 tblsp per pound worked really well. I would suggest that as a starting place.

First I mix all my dry ingredients together, salt, pepper spices, and dry chia seeds. In my case I’m not grinding them. I have heard it done, haven’t attempted that yet.

Anyway, once I have all my dry ingredients mixed together I pour in hot water from the kettle. I don’t measure, I just pour it in and stir the dry mix until it’s a paste, not runny, although it will thicken up pretty quickly, so that might not really matter too much.

I put the meat in a gallon size zip lock bag, put in an egg, zip it shut and massage the egg into the meat. Then add in the paste, zip up the bag leaving a tiny bit to release air, try to get out as much air as possible, zip it up tight. Massage the mix thouroghly (sp? My iPhone won’t let me spell it correct and I gave up).

I split the mix in two parts now. I use a 6 inch baking dish, put the first half in spread flat. Put my special layer in next, usually 4 to 8 oz of cream cheese. Sometimes Gouda, sometimes cheddar, once I went for broke and used every cheese I had. Then later the other half of the meat mix on top. Then cover it with bacon. I like to take the bacon and cut it into squares, and cover the entire top. I use scissors (I learned that in Korea, have a pair of cooking scissors. They come in real handy!) since it’s so small I bake it in my toaster oven with convection on, helps to crisp the bacon. 350 for 30 minutes. On occasion I need to get the bacon to crisp a bit more so I just put it in broil and watch it crisp up.

This is a version of @carl philly bacon wrap meatloaf. I just pledgerized where I had to because I could never get the damn stuff to roll up like he did. Mine always turned into a meat wad, instead of a roll. So i settled for layers :cowboy_hat_face:

You might have to play around with the moisture level. I’m not a good cook. I just try to remember what works and repeat that next time. As far as the amount of water in the chia seeds, they are going to soak up a lot. In cold water, they take about 20 minutes (I think) to reach saturation , with very hot water it takes just a few minutes. So, you might need to play it by ear. If the meatloaf comes out too soggy, use less water next time. Just remember to keep track of how much you used :sunglasses:. Mine came out really spongy this last time. But I added in an equal amount of flax seed with the chia seed. I’ll forgo the flax seed from now on. I just added it because I could. Not always the best reason to do something.:sunglasses:

(Renee Slaughter) #23

Thank you for posting this. I’m bookmarking.