Not hungry on modified keto diet

(Punit Maximus Mannari) #32

My protein is not that high either

(Justin Jordan) #33

I’m testing out to see what if any effect it has on my blood sugar (ala the Newcastle Diet, although the composition of diet is different) - it’s not meant to be a long term thing.

Surprisingly, actual hunger hasn’t been an issue. Wanting to eat was for the first few days, but for the most part I haven’t been hungry, even on actual fast periods I threw in.

It’s hard to say what the blood sugar results are, although I have learned that protein does actually elevate them and that I need a lot less protein than most formulas would indicate. I’ve gotten stronger this month (and I’ve been lifting for, good lord, close to 30 years).

(Justin Jordan) #34

No real cardio, I do try and walk every day but the Pa winter has not been super accommodating.

I lift three days a week, and that’s gone really well. Made some progress on all lifts, plus a PR. And I’m not new to lifting.

(Todd Allen) #35

The “well formulated ketogenic diet” that is low carb, moderate protein and high fat is a long term sustainable diet. A high protein 1000 calorie per day diet isn’t sustainable. But it will undoubtedly get you quicker results in improved body composition. Fasts also aren’t sustainable but they can be super useful, especially for those struggling to lose weight.

If it’s working for you, keep doing it. Just be ready to switch things up when it becomes hard or progress drops off.

(Lonnie Hedley) #36

Fake news.

(Justin Jordan) #37

(Lonnie Hedley) #38

I respect your right to have an opinion, but I also respectfully disagree with the point you are trying to make.

There may not be a rule book, but there are most definitely guidelines. Low carb, moderate protein, high fat. Calling low carb, low fat, low calorie, high protein Keto is incorrect. Adding “modified” does not make it any more correct. He’s simply doing a low carb low calorie diet.

P.S. Nice modified dog in your profile pic.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #39

This is not a ketogenic diet.

This doesn’t even appear healthy or safe.

(Punit Maximus Mannari) #40

Lost 7 pounds since Saturday. Checked this morning. I was 20.7 on Saturday. Exactly 20 stone today.

(Mike W.) #41

This won’t be sustainable. You are modified starving yourself.

(Ken) #42

This thread illustrates the problems with calling a nutritional pattern “Keto”, as it’s too subjective. The OP’s pattern can certainly result in intermittant ketosis, as can a Carb based pattern, both achieved with caloric restriction. The same goes for fasting, when no fat or carbs are consumed. My point is semantical, as “Keto” really does not accurately describe a lipolytic, fat based pattern. It is easily distorted. Much the same thing has happened to the Paleo concept, with true Paleo having a fat based pattern/macro that is now basically ignored, thus negating the majority of it’s beneficial effects.

A more accurate description would be VLCHF, very low carb, high fat, is far more accurate, with the primary focus being on glucagon secretion rather than ketosis.

(Todd Allen) #43

I think the thread title should have been “modified fast” versus “modified keto diet”. And no doubt it isn’t healthy or safe as a long term plan. But fasting can be beneficial in the short term. As someone else pointed out this more closely resembles a “protein sparing modified fast” which likely has less benefit than true fasting for insulin sensitivity or autophagy but could be effective for burning fat while sparing muscle.

I suspect the biggest risk of this approach is managing the transition to a sustainable diet to avoid rebounding and regaining the lost fat.

(Lonnie Hedley) #44

@Brenda HAHA, two posts above yours I was provided a link to the thread where you state Keto has no rule book. No rules sure, but definitely guidelines. This is not Keto, this is low carb, low fat, low cal, high protein. No idea what it is, but not Keto or even a modified version.

(TJ Borden) #45

You’ll lose weight in the short term, but you need to cut carbs and add fat in order to get your body to start burning stored fat. Without doing that, you’re essentially starving yourself and over time your metabolism will slow to match the low calories you’re taking in. It’s the “biggest loser” effect. Nearly everyone from the show is back at, or above, their starting weight because they didnt burn the fat the right way.

(Punit Maximus Mannari) #46

Today, my body is burning up, like flu, headache and cold chills.
Is this normal?

(Ken) #47

You’re probably finally going through lipolytic adaptation and lipogenic withdrawl. Eat more fat, drink more water and add some salt. It should only last a few days.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #48

Fat adaptation does not include fever. See your physician.

(Punit Maximus Mannari) #49

Just an update if any one is interested…lost 12 pounds since last Saturday…that’s 12 pounds in 8 days.
Feeling great in the last couple of days… energy all the time. Managed to get am and pm cardio as well

(Ken) #50

Sounds like the initial glycogen drop, if so, you’re now in lipolysis. Everything from now on should be fat.

It’s pretty tough to lose the equivalent of 42,000 calories of fat in eight days.

(Mike W.) #51

Not hard when it’s muscle he’s losing.