Non-stick fried eggs (cooked in sticky pan)

fried
eggs

I believe Teflon coated pans started the destruction of the art of home cooking. Because, no matter what you did, the food doesn’t stick. But, when food is cooked at the wrong temperature, or wrong technique, you risk it coming out tasting or looking horrible. Cast iron pans are great. However, the taste is not clean when you cook a variety of foods in it. The greases from bacon, salmon, steak, lamb, etc, blend and you can taste them in the eggs. They can be a bit of a pain to clean, too, sometimes.

Here’s an example of a valuable (and lost) technique in the kitchen…the fried egg. And, in this recipe, it doesn’t come anywhere near sticking while cooking. The result is a white that is cooked evenly through with very lush and tender flesh, with a soft and runny yolk. Done in a non coated pan.

First start with adding fat to a non coated pan, this happens to be a couple tablespoons bacon grease

Then add a raw egg to grease when grease is hot

There is enough fat in the pan to allow the egg not to stick. That’s it. That’s the secret. Teflon coated pans were invented to facilitate low fat cooking. Useless for ketonians. This egg slides around the pan when it is tilted

And here is the egg sliding to other side when I tilt pan to other side…no sticking!!

I take a spoon and baste the raw, glassy white part around the yolk. The hot grease helps to cook the whites at the top in an instant

Egg comes out of the pan without any sticking problems. Yolk stays intact. The egg whites are cooked evenly, top to bottom. And the grease in the pan in returned to the jar (recycled). Pan goes in dishwasher. Easy clean up. Done in a couple of minutes!

The perfect bite

If you want a crunchy crust on the whites, no problem…turn up heat a bit and cook a bit longer until brown crust forms on bottom.

Ceramic non-stick pan recommendations?
(melinda) #2

Those eggs look great too. Local farmer?

You betcha!! Free range roaming bundles of joy :chicken: :heart:

(melinda) #4

My cousins chickens have finally laid some eggs again so I’ll have some of these beauties on Saturday!

Yummers! The taste is so different!!

(Patty W) #6

Thank you for the great show & tell pictures. I will try this the next time I cook an egg. I hadn’t made the connection about Teflon pans & low-fat cooking back in the day, but it all makes sense…

I love this! What brand of pans would you recommend? I have cast iron and teflon. Want to get rid of teflon.

(Richard Morris) #8

I’d never thought of that … but yeah you’re right.

I bought the actual pan you see in the photo many years ago at Cosco. Stainless steel. Made in Italy. Kirkland brand.

If you get a pan, find one with a heavy bottom. It is more expensive, but very good heating control. Thin layered pans increase risk of burning, and heat ramps up or ramps down too fast, you lose control.

Also, go for stainless steel. Not aluminum. Restaurants have aluminum pans…great for heat distribution. But, it’s not good for you, health-wise. Also, anything acidic or alkaline eats away at the aluminum and ends up in your body, accumulating in your nervous system. Stick with stainless steel.

(KFdriscoll%) #10

The problem with fried eggs is you need bread to clean the remaining yoke off the plate.

Not really. Lots of other (and more delicious) options. Like bacon, sausage, stir fried vegetables, cheese, fried mushrooms, etc…list is quite long.

(joanne.liu) #12

This problem is entirely avoided by cutting away the white and then eating the yolk whole! :blush:

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #13

Carlshead dough baked a bit thicker sopped up a lot of yolk this morning, but I usually use my bacon to wipe up the plate :blush:

(James storie) #14

I do this too!

(bulkbiker) #15

What’s wrong with picking up the plate and licking off the yolk…?

(James storie) #16

That’s what I normally do! :egg: