No weight loss. Does this just not work for some people?

Ive always found it hard to lose weight no matter how little I eat. Usually I lose a couple of pounds and then my body adjusts and I lose nothing.
I’ve done keto now for nearly 5 weeks. In the first week I lost 5 lbs and I was hugely optimistic. But nothing since.
Feeling really down and this diet made sense to me and I thouģht it would work.
I am around 20g of carb a day, use an app to count carbs fat and protein in the right proportion and to be on the safe side I keep calories under 1600. I went up to 30g of carb once on a bad day. I do struggle to eat the required amount of fat. I have the pee sticks which show a trace of ketones but no more.
I have about 2 stone to lose.
Any suggestions or is this just not for me.
On the positive side…i feel more energised and tummy issues have improved a lot.

(Scott) #2

There is the problem, don’t limit calories. You are retraining your body to understand what real hunger is and what being full is. I know it sounds wrong but you need let your body decide when it is full. Keep carbs 《20g with no snacking between meals and embrace healthy fat. You will do fine!

Thanks…no snacking between meals? Why is that. I tend not to eat too much in one go?

(bulkbiker) #4

One of the main driving factors for weight loss is a lack of insulin response. To achieve this we need to eat less often… by snacking we are constantly prompting our pancreas to produce insulin which can lead to fat storage. We need to turn off this mechanism to access our fat stores and thus lose weight. Hence most of the successful weight losers here will eat once or twice a day max and not snack. By only having one or two insulin peaks a days it’s far easier to access fat stores and use that fat for fuel.

How interesting Mark. That would be another big change for me but ill give it a go.

(bulkbiker) #6

Definitely worth it… I never eat breakfast just have coffee and cream… down 120 pounds so far.

(Marianne) #7

I would encourage you to check out dietdoctor.com. That sight is just fabulous and will give you all the information you need, in easily understandable terms. Really fascinating reading and the doctors and experts on there are my personal heroes. Probably 95% of the information/videos on there is free, no need to join. When I first started keto, I signed up for the “30 day free membership,” and cancelled it before that. I wound up becoming a paying member because it provides such a valuable public service.

(Charlotte) #8

That part does take practice. I was a restricter for so long it took a few months to get my cals up over 1300. It takes time, patience, and experimenting to find the right balance between the amount of food vs ways to get your cals up without adding a ton of extra meals. The point you want to end up at is not having to count calories per se but to learn how to listen to what your body wants and when. That took me a long time to learn. You are going to have to experiment since everyone is different and has unique needs. No one person’s keto is the same. Its not a blanket approach. This is where patience kicks in. The beginning is slow because your body is having to adjust and relearn how to do everything. No one is going to be able to give you the magic key to weight loss. If you need some guidance, If you want some critiques on areas that could be improved share your typical day and we will help the best we can. :slight_smile:

Congratulations. That’s amazing. Snacking stops tomorrow replaced with bigger meals. I’m reading a lot said about macros. Do you monitor fat and protein as well as carbs? It’s so complicated and time consuming to get all 3 right.

(bulkbiker) #10

I monitor and record but don’t build my meals around macros as such. These days I eat very few carbs (they usually only come from the cream in my coffee) so this year have averaged about 10g per day. I tend to mainly eat meat only so that makes it easier to get a good fat/protein balance.

(Marianne) #11

I tracked macros for about 3 weeks and then that fell by the wayside. I’m glad, and have found out from folks here that it isn’t necessary. I am much more relaxed about my program now and that feels good.

I too have lived my life either hungry or guilty! I subconsciously restrict food and in some ways enjoy being hungry. I eat the smallest portion I can get away with and have never understood why I have always been overweight. It looks like I eat too many times a day though even though it’s small amount.

No vegetables? I would worry about that. I need both.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #14

Personally, I have to find ways to add fat to my meals. I can get carbs low, but I usually add in avacado (its low net carb) with some dressing like ranch to up the fat. I also will drink coconut cream (or heavy whipping cream - if I can get it low carb enough) with some flavored MCT oil powder (to make it taste better - and it adds a bit extra fat).

I’d focus on eating two good solid meals, which you can get ideas for by browsing some of the forum topics. A good fatty meat with some butter is a good start, and if you want you can throw in a veggie like broccoli or asparagus slathered with butter! Also, don’t stress! :smiley:

Sometimes there are changes taking place inside your body that are happening before weight loss starts.

(bulkbiker) #15

No you don’t “need” them…you may like them or want to eat them but not essential …

(George) #16

In beginning tracking macros is good so you get an idea of how to properly build your plate. I stopped tracking months ago just because I now know how much of each macro should be consumed.

And yes, as others have said, no snacking. You’re not giving your insulin a chance to come down if your constantly consuming. If you’re able to skip breakfast, even better, it’s the easiest form of intermittent fasting and locking in to an 8 hour eating window.

Eat to satiety, 20 grams of carbs or less, moderate protein (I usually consume meat the size of my hand as easy reference) and plenty of fats (good quality butter, avocado, extra virgin olive oil, etc.)

As far as vegetables go, go ahead and eat them, but the green ones that grow above ground only. Anything that grows underground is full of starchy carbs

Step too far for me. But each to own. I do try and listen to my body and I feel I need some colour on my plate. Atkins made me faint and sick and lacking some vitamins so I’m careful. Besides I have needed to add seeds and greens to be able to poop!

Thanks George. I am sticking to lettuce cauli broc spinache courgette cucumber and very small amounts of tomato and peppers.but I do count the carbs. It’s been surprising just how quickly carbs add up in a few veg. Missing sweet corn.

(George) #19

The pooping thing kind of corrects itself. Some people go daily, others every 2 or 3 days. I drink a little magnesium citrate every weekend to get that nice weekly system flush lol

(George) #20

Very true, but they’re incidental carbs so I wouldn’t worry much about them. Just make sure you cook them in fat (broc, asparagus, brussel sprouts, etc.), baking in olive oil, or pan cooking in butter and topping the broc with cheese is my favorite way to dress the vegetables.

Also remember to keep your sodium intake up! so salt your food well.I keep having to remind myself of that, as well as occasional reminders from folks on here lol