No weight loss. Does this just not work for some people?

('Jackie P') #21

Check out Dr Jason Fung on you tube. The Calorie Deception will help you understand what has been happening too you and how to fix it.
Stay with the forum for support and information.

(Charlotte) #22

I envy men and the fact that they have it a little easier when it comes to weight loss. I have lost almost 50lbs in 5 1/2 months. I only pay attention to my carb intake and forget macros, calories, etc. I average roughly about 10g carbs a day and I’m much less likely to cheat now a days because I only have an estimation of how many carbs I eat and I know through experimenting that 15g a day is my personal limit to where I stop losing. I have a BPC every morning with an egg scramble with cheese, veggies, sausage or bacon, and guac. For lunch I’ll have a cup or 2 of steamed broccoli or spaghetti squash smothered with butter and salt and an 8oz steak or fatty ground beef patty with cheese and if I still feel peckish I’ll have some macadamia nuts. That usually fills me up until the next morning. You just gotta find what works for you. Filling calories is pretty easy once you know where to add them. Fatty meats are good, butter, coconut oil, avocado oil. I also created this yummy recipe for keto cashew butter fat bomb chocolates that i use for extra cals when I have a craving for fat or a sweet tooth craving. i am pro substituting, but thats just how I personally keto. Psychologically it makes me feel like I’m not restricted on anything which helps increase my sustainability and it lowers my stress which is a very very important thing to never disregard when you keto. Stress is very much underestimated when it comes to losing weight.

Is the sodium issue common. I suffer from low blood pressure and it has got worse since doing keto

(George) #24

Yeah it’s a common thing. Processed junk is full of salt, so our bodies have gotten so used to having all that salt, that its a requirement now. So, when you go to keto and starting consuming a whole foods diet like this, your body still needs the salt. I’m still trying to get used to it myself, but I see alot of people having a teaspoon of salt with some water in the morning, and just making sure their food is salted well when they eat.

I’m starting to see where I may be going wrong. Having big meals with long times inbetween is alien to me. Thanks for sharing and congrats on the amazing weight loss. I have noticed that everyone on the forum stuck without weight loss is a woman and usually of a certain age! So unfair.

(Lisa) #26

I’m also a woman of a certain age :grin: and my weight loss is slow, but it’s happening. I don’t restrict calories, but I monitor for the purpose of tracking my carbs and protein. You can read many threads on this forum containing debates over whether protein needs to be limited or not, but some people seem to be especially sensitive to protein. I’m one of those that too much protein can kick me out of ketosis, raise my blood sugar, re-trigger my autoimmune issues and a host of other problems. “Too much” seems to be very individual. Also, I restrict my eating to a daily time frame (usually between 4 and 8 hours of eating) but within that window, I don’t limit myself to just one or two big meals. I have trouble eating a ton at one sitting, and I do “graze”…but within that limited time window. The rest of the time, I only have calorie-free beverages.

This! This is probably why you felt sickly on Atkins. You need lots of salts and electrolytes when eat low carb. I just upped my salt intake because I was getting cramps at night, been trying to hit 4000mg or more a day. After a couple days of that my cramps have improved and I have been way more energetic. Go against everything you’ve been taught for years but I’m starting to think most of what we’ve been taught is wrong.

Also, Hypatia is one of my historical heroes. She was an amazing woman!

(Charlotte) #28

I’m a stay at home mom so I have the luxury of having whatever schedule I want, but I eat breakfast at 9am with my twins and then I eat lunch at 1pm and then fast until the next morning. If I am feeling a little hungry before bed then I will have a handful of macadamia nuts. I have learned that listening to my body is the best thing I can do to have success. If that means eating 3 times a day so be it. Don’t force an IF. You want to settle into it naturally. I ate 3 times a day until I was fully adapted and then everything got a million times easier and I was able to naturally settle into a IF. Now a days I sit at a 4-5 hour feed window.

(Lisa) #29

I should’ve mentioned that I didn’t start out with a limited eating window… took some time to feel comfortable with it, and I don’t force it.

Here’s a short article on why salt is so important

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #31

No. As long as you control your carbohydrate intake (we recommend staying below 20 g/day) and eat to satisfy your hunger, you can let your instincts tell you how much protein and fat to eat.

Protein does stimulate some insulin secretion, but we require it (and we do need a certain amount of insulin, or we will starve to death; we just don’t want too much). Fat, however, has almost no effect on insulin whatever, which makes it ideal for replacing the calories lost from giving up carbohydrate.

At first, you may feel as though you are overeating, but the body needs those calories in order to become used to the new abundance. Once it feels safe, it will recalibrate your appetite to use both the food you eat and the excess fat you have stored away in your adipose tissue. The key is not to tell your body how much it needs, but to let it tell you.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #32

It’s also okay to eat more often in the beginning. This is a huge change from the way we were taught to eat, and the way our bodies have gotten used to getting energy. So if you snack a bit on keto friendly snacks at first don’t beat yourself up about it. Most people find the urge to snack lessens over time. Then if they want a snack they know they probably didn’t eat enough at their last meal.

Skipping breakfast is easy for me since I have always done that. Now it is for my health and not just because I am too lazy in the morning. Winning! Other people love their breakfast and skip dinner. Which may be the better of the two metabolically. But never let perfect become the enemy of good.

For snacks especially, you have to ask yourself if you are really hungry, or if this is the time you have a snack. Even tummy rumbles can lie. Your body expects food, so prepares for it, even if you don’t need it. Wait a half hour, if you still want something, eat.

(Bunny) #33

Was just listening to a Doctor who has been doing the ketogenic diet for 15 years and a one meal a day type guy and he states that he has never had a patient not lose weight or desired weight on a ketogenic diet, he claims it was because of some tiny little thing they were doing wrong?

That really blows me away!

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #34

Do you mean if they didn’t lose weight, they found that one little mistake and then they started losing?

(Bunny) #35

Yes!

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #36

Nice! Never give up!

n=1 ethos means tweak it till you find what works for your body, but the keto framework to tweak within is sound. And the learning curve is real. Like the story on 2KD podcast of the man who was struggling, then his doctor heard a jingle sound and figured out the man had been downing tic-tacs. One “serving” counts as 0 carb, but they are actually candy and it adds up quickly.

(Bunny) #37

I remember back in the 90’s before most people even knew what a computer even was or what a windows 3.1 or internet was, people were still using word processors in that transitional period …lol…that using something as common as toothpaste or mouth wash with sugar in it would inhibit weight loss and ketosis on a ketogenic diet.

Hard to believe but a little tiny thing like that can put some serious brakes on your efforts, the other ones are artificial sweeteners and too much MCT oils.

BTW: I was one of those tic tac people…:joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #38

:rofl: It’s an easy mistake to make!

And I finished a fair number of 2:00am reports on that old word processor!

Omg. I am plagued with foot cramp at night. Thought it was yet another menopause symptom. Could it be low salts?

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #40

Yes, or magnesium