Nightshades and Inflammation

Yes I could never understand those folks who would be able to go to sleep hungry. I was and still am unable to fall asleep if I’m up late and hungry.

Yes I have to do a week of not eating the solanine vegetables and see if my joint pain diminishes.

I may be able to sleep, I did it before but my sleep is useless then. So nope, if I am hungry at bedtime, eating is the best idea. But I should eat enough during the day, that’s the best.

AMEN!

[quote=“trucha, post:41, topic:116583”]Yes I could never understand those folks who would be able to go to sleep hungry.

I was and still am unable to fall asleep if I’m up late and hungry.
[/quote]

Cause it really works for them and they understand ‘their hunger’ whcih will never be you…but what is YOUR real hunger. mind games? is your body adapted thru time and ya miss the ‘mental ol’ snack’ before bed?

it is time on plan and holding tight and learning you which gives you the results other get, but it will never ever be their experiences :slight_smile: we have to let that go.

Comparison is the theif of Joy point blank :sunny: and while we rely on guideance point blank to maneuver thru a ‘newer eating plan that suits ourselves’ we read xyz and abc that suits others so at some point you gotta be only you here!

Possibly but theirs no proof to that

@trucha, was your reply to me? not sure LOL

(Robin) #48

@Fangs @trucha
Ha! I was wondering the same thing. Then it dawned on me the the phrase, “possibly but there is no proof to that” is one that could apply to every post, all the time. Right? I mean, possibly but there is no proof to that.

yea…wee…I am never sure unless I get that ‘direct to me’ siggy thru that post in that I ‘answered’ other posts that I thought were to me and made an idiot of me so now I ask.

too many yrs on a food change forum I guess and not just one, many :wink:

(Edith) #50

This is not about night shades, but about being intolerant to something even though it didn’t show up on testing.

When my daughter was young, we figured out she had a problem with gluten. It would upset her stomach and cause pretty intense mood swings. When we took gluten out of her diet, these problems went away. When we put gluten back in her diet, the trouble returned. It was not the placebo effect because she was only three at the time and didn’t know we were experimenting with her diet.

As she got older, the symptoms of her intolerance manifested itself differently. Gluten gave her reflux and decreased her ability to concentrate as a middle schooler. Eventually, by the time she was upper teens, vomiting and diarrhea within 30 minutes of consuming it. We never did a biopsy of her small intestines, but she was given blood tests several times over the years to test for allergy or sensitivity and never showed positive.

So, just because test results are negative, doesn’t mean there isn’t something there.

Agreed, but there’s also a difference between IgG and IgA testing. My body reacts negatively to a lot of stuff that I’m not allergic too. If you go to a doc and say you think Gluten may be a problem, you’re going to get an IgA test, because most still believe you’re either a Celiac or you’re not. Most with Gluten sensitivities will show as fine on those. But an IgG test would show that your body is reacting to it.

Then there’s also whether it’s actually gluten or a cross reaction, or possibly just the screwed with, hybridized crap we have now. It was either Perlmuter or William Davis that was at some farm where they grew the “real” wheat that almost doesn’t exist anymore, ate bread made with it and had zero issues with it. I think a lot of food allergies are a result of us screwing with them at too low of a level. That, and us just screwing our bodies up as a whole.

(Bob M) #52

It does exist. It’s called Einkorn wheat. It’s unhybridized.

I make my Thanksgiving sour dough stuffing and bread out of it. (Still causes a large blood sugar spike, though, if you’re trying to avoid those. And, it’s still easy to overeat. Harder because it only lasts a few days at most.)

Some people definitely think it’s the way US wheat is processed:

Regardless, I made croissants with Italian wheat. Might be better than US versions, but I could - and did – overeat them.

Agreed testing is NOT the answer only personal experience with the food item itself

Problem with that is you can’t rule out cross reactivity, which is what many peoples problem is. I did just that when I was diagnosed Lactose Intolerant twice by different docs, years apart. Ate dairy, all hell broke lose. Stopped, I was fine. Repeat over and over and same result. So it’s dairy right? NOPE!

It’s the Carnivore argument, ya, easy to pull the offending food when you pull every food there is that’s not meat, but what did that really tell you? Not much unless you’re truly happy eating that way forever.

Elimination diets (can) be good, but they can also lie to you. Especially when your body thinks something you ate is a problem when it reality it’s mistaking it for something it’s not, which may or may not be able to be worked around. But we have the ability to see our immune system in action, it’s crazy not to utilize that ability and make more informed decisions.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #55

I’m curious about this; I suspect I’m missing something in your argument.

So if you have a reaction to eating a food, what is the negative of not eating that food? In the case of your problem with dairy, what turned out to be the actual difficulty? Was it perhaps a protein sensitivity? Or was it some other problem, mimicking a protein sensitivity? And what can you do about that? At least if it’s lactose intolerance, you can take a lactase supplement.

(Edith) #56

Okay, you got me curious, what was it?

My daughter has reactions to some fruits in the summer, because they mimic what she is really allergic to, some kinds of trees and grasses.

I think leaky gut is a problem with food reactions, as well. I used to think I was allergic to tomatoes because they gave me canker sores. When I stopped eating gluten, I could eat all the tomatoes I wanted and no more canker sores.

So, the people who do react to nightshades maybe have leaky gut. There was a podcast I listened to about gut heath. The expert being interviewed said that gluten damages everyone’s intestinal lining to some degree resulting in leaky gut. It’s just that the symptoms don’t necessarily manifest themselves in an obvious way.

A doctor said that gluten is just one factor, there is stress and a personal factor too so some people actually are fine eating gluten…
It’s not important for me but my SO still eats gluten, not nearly as much as in the past but he does.
We had gluten free years but that’s the extent of what we can do through experiments… Things like this can’t be determined from some facts, experiments are tricky and experts say different things… Sigh.

(Bob M) #58

Dairy is a very complex subject, because it concerns both carbs (lactose) and type of protein (mixed A1/A2 or solely A2). If you can find raw milk, there are also bacteria and the like in raw milk which some believe help repair the gut and its lining. I used to think that was totally wrong, but I found some raw milk and started testing it. Now, I’m not so sure. I think it MAY actually be causing me to eat less. I get less hungry, and the theory is that you’re changing your gut microbiome (which I also thought was complete bullocks, but again, now I’m not so sure).

Edit: The raw milk I’m drinking comes from Jersey cows, which supposedly (as far as I can find) produce A2-protein milk.

agree…it is problematic for many in alot of forms, only humans can put a food out into the world that complicates everything and not just the few using it thru the eons in their tribes ya know…it is in every manmade product mostly. Dairy sure has gotten around :wink: :100::partying_face::exploding_head:

(Edith) #60

I’ve considered trying raw milk, but in Virginia you have to own a share of a cow. I don’t want to do that and find out I can’t handle raw milk either.