Nightshades and Inflammation

(Megan) #21

Apart from coffee, zero from any plant sources the past 4 months. I’m 60, female, finished menopause a good 10 years ago.

Normal CRP is under 5 mg/L

Depends on what you call truth. It’s true (some) people have issues with them, but Nightshades have joined the ranks of fad hatred, so EVERYBODY now has an issue with them. In real life, I’ve yet to see anybody that actually does, including people that say they do (got a handful of them to do food sensitivity testing), they didn’t.

(Wendy) #23

I have been straight carnivore for 6mo. And no I don’t eat any veggies or fruit. My gut problems have pretty much gone away. Still working on reducing Omeprazole. Taking 20mg now from 40mg. I have had lots of problems my whole life. I am 62!! Feel better than I have in yrs.
Like you most of any pain has disappeared. Sleep is great! My husband has been on this journey with me. He is 63. And has improved greatly!! We have both lost 30#! And I am off blood pressure meds. As of 9/10/22. My husband is down to 1/2 of his meds from 7!! Our A1c has been cut in half. He has also felt less pain. He used to get up early,due to the pain he was having. We chalk it up to the lifestyle change and we got a Casper mattress. :slight_smile:

(Wendy) #24

Normal is below 3!!!

Ive heard it said red meat is NOT very good for us. Do you consume a lot of red meat? How often how much if you don’t mind me asking.

I’ve never been more than 5-10 lbs overweight. My A1c was 7.2, diabetic. I do eat alot. One of the reasons why I like to eat veggies and salads. Otherwise I’d be consuming large quantities of meat alone. I don’t think that’s wise

Thank you

(Wendy) #26

Yes I eat grassfed beef. Ground,Ribeyes,chuck roasts. Also eat low sugar/nitrate free bacon. Pasture fed chicken eggs,Kerry Gold butter. Elk, Antelope,Deer. They are all ruminates. We do eat wild caught Salmon on an occasion. Our blood work has been just about perfect! I am very lucky to have a great PCP that is totally on board with this eating plan. He has actually suggested it to some patients, we personally know.

(Wendy) #27

Interesting enough. My blood sugar was uncontrollable. I wasn’t able to keep it up. Ended up in the hospital with it. That’s when I started taking Metopolol. Due to my heart rhythm was off. And when the blood sugar was low my pressure went up. And before this I was a vegetarian for 8yrs!! Obviously did me no favors,
And I always battled my weight.
You are vary fortunate you don’t have a weight problem.
Eating carnivore, my blood sugar has leveled out. I can eat 1 meal a day without sugar upset. And not hungry. Before I was carrying snacks in my purse.
For me the proof has convinced me.
I think most people if the just cut the fastfood and processed foods out. They are doing themselves a huge favor. And I always remember, everyone has different needs. According to the level of energy their bodies need. And their personal lifestyle.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #28

For a lot of tests, there is no general “normal,” because different labs use different testing methods and equipment made by different manufacturers. There is also the complicating factor of what units the measurement is in. Different countries use different units of measuremtn.

Then there is also the problem of “units” of something (abbreviated “U”). The concept of unit is based on what is considered an effective dose, and the measurement depends on comparing the measurement to a reference sample. When the reference sample runs out, a new one needs to be made, and then everyone has to go by the comparison with the new reference sample. (Seems a silly way to operate, if you ask me, but somebody must find it useful.)

Lastly, there is also the issue of what population was measured to determine the “normal” range. And if it was 20-something carb-burning white male American college students, does that normal range have anything to do with what is healthy for a ketonian 60-year-old post-menopausal Afro-Latvian woman?

I still find myself hungry and eating keto meals at least 3 times a day. My meals are not small nor are they low fat. Constant hunger may be due to my diabetes.I’m up every two hours to pee, again this may be due to diabetes not enlarged prostate.

Why does the medical community keep pushing the idea that red meat is NOT good for us? Do they really want us dead?

(Wendy) #30

My husband was the same. He also has an enlarged prostate. But with the PHD no longer has the constant hunger. And with time Dr Berry claims the prostate will improve. You should ck out Dr Ken Berry, Dr. Anthony Chaffee,Dr. Jason Fung, Dr. Ben Bikman. They have a ton of information. That you can learn and decide if you want to give the Proper human diet a try. Knowledge is the key.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #31

Good question. There are a number of strands to the answer:

The prophetess of the Seventh-Day Adventist Church, Ellen G. White, believed that eating meat incited our fleshly lusts. This sex-negative thinking has historically had a lot of appeal. The Kellogg brothers invented the breakfast cereal industry under her influence, precisely to get people to stop eating bacon and eggs for breakfast so they could remain pure.

The vegan movement traces its roots ultimately to White’s thinking, but has, over time, found a number of other reasons to vilify the eating of meat. Mark Hegsted, who was the staffer to the McGovern committee, which wrote the U.S. dietary guidelines, was a vegetarian or vegan (I forget which) and was known for his dislike of the beef lobbyists who visited Senator McGovern’s office. Hegsted became the first official at the U.S. Department of Agriculture assigned to publish and promote the guidelines.

Ancel Benjamin Keys, a fish physiologist who was involved in Dwight Eisenhower’s post-coronary care, believed that eating fat caused coronary heart disease. He published data to that effect that, when re-analysed, shows nothing of the sort. But he got on the nutrition committee of the American Heart Association and bullied them into recommending a low-fat diet, and got a number of his friends appointed to influential posts in the U.S. government.

Frederick Stare, one of Keys’s friends, had for many years a highly influential position at the Harvard School of Public Health. The department of nutrition there was established and funded with money from the sugar industry, and published internal memos of the Sugar Research Foundation document that many of Keys’s friends were being paid to play down concerns about sugar and magnify the risks of eating fat, instead.

A majority of the members of the scientific committee that review the U.S. dietary guidelines every five years are vegans or vegetarians. A number of them have spent their professional careers trying to show the harmful effects of eating red meat.

The American Heart Association owes its prominence to a large donation from Procter & Gamble (makers of Crisco shortening and oil) in 1948, and they have assiduously promoted the use of industrial seed oils (especially Crisco), ever since. Since the polyunsaturated fatty acids in vegetable oils do indeed lower cholesterol, there is a vested interested in promoting the lowering of cholesterol as a means of boosting the sales of oil.

In contrast, during the late nineteenth century and well into the twentieth, it was believed that the reason Americans were the tallest, healthiest, and longest-lived population around was due to the prominence of red meat in their diet. Carbohydrates, especially sugar, grains, and starches, were widely believed to be fattening and unhealthy. That all changed, of course, once we began to fear saturated fat. Interestingly, the U.S. government protein recommendations are based on our need for a “high-quality reference protein.” That “reference protein” is, in fact, beef, as Peter Ballerstedt likes to point out in his lectures. But of course, that is no longer mentioned in government publications.

Makes it hard to know who to trust, BTW all of history is LIES…

Thank you. Ive been doing keto since August and plan to continue. Urologists claim that red meat contributes to enlarged prostate…but we know better.

About 5 hours after I had dinner this evening, which consisted of lean cooked turkey breast, steamed vegetables in butter. I got hungry and fried, in lard 1 lb of fatty chop meat with some fried onions. I ate the whole pound of chop meat.

Does that seem excessive?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #35

Not at all, why?

(Robin) #36

Nothing wrong with that. You need to start just going on auto-pilot, keep your carbs where they should and the rest if trivial. Trust the process. It doesn’t have to be difficult.
You got this.

I just thought a late night meal so heavy was a bad idea. That I should control my portion size more, that’s all.

It seems normal to me. I don’t like eating too late BUT if my daily meal wasn’t enough, I must. I try to eat my fatty meat for lunch or dinner next time so I will be fine at night :slight_smile: Or if my meat is lean, I add some fattier items, that works too.
I really can’t avoid late night eating (it’s usually around midnight for me) only on the rare days when I really can’t squeeze enough food into me during the day. But with the right items it’s almost always possible.

It’s individual if a late big meal is okay or not. I never felt any problem with such ones for a long time but I changed and now I tend to feel some heaviness in my belly the next day for some reason (not very uncomfortable and definitely better than messing up my sleep with being hungry. being full never messed up my sleep but it happens to others). But I usually have very small late meals, they just patch up the little holes in my daylight eating, I add a little protein with some inevitable fat and all is well.

@trucha
read this:
https://justmeat.co/docs/health-dangers-of-a-plant-based-diet.pdf

gives tons of info and if not sure, go research other info that you read.

while tomatos are lower in oxalates they got them and the tomatine which is not great for us…plus when ya google bad eating tomatoes on the net ya get TONS of gut issues many experience from heartburn to aggrevating joint issues to anyone even ‘slightly allergic’ to them ramps up all the issues.
( Tomatine and solanine alkaloids can irritate the gastrointestinal system and even affect brain neurotransmitters like acetylcholine. Tomatoes can also worsen acid reflux and heartburn conditions in many people and the seeds can be very harmful to those who are prone to diverticulitis (an inflammatory disease of the large intestine).

There ARE PROs and CONs key being WHO are you eating them :slight_smile:

if you body does well on a little of this or that veg and you function fab, enjoy them, feel wonderful after eating them than that sign is you…your body is not giving you an allergic reaction but if ya get issues, the bad ones, your body is saying this is not for you :slight_smile:

this is where foods become very personal on what you do well on.

Key to it all, research it all ya want in words, total most best known science to it all is eat it and find you on it :sunny:

(Robin) #40

These are the questions you answer yourself, as you test it. Living the result is a lot more meaningful than any of our thoughts on the subject. Plus we have all lived ours and come away with different lessons. After you learn the basics, ya gotta just run with it. Your body will be your guide.