Nightshades and Inflammation

Is there any truth to the theory that nightshades that is tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, peppers contain solanace a substance which can worsen joint pain?

I’ve read research on both pro and con to this idea?

I have joint pain and I like to have a large salad every day.

Thank you

(Edith) #2

I’m all for self experimentation. Try leaving them out of your diet for a month and see what happens. Put them back in and see what happens.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

A lot of plants also contain oxalates, which can also exacerbate joint pain.

(Denise) #4

I eat a lot of spinach, well, maybe not a lot comparatively speaking but about a cup squished down in measuring cup. Do oxalates “cause” the joint issue in the first place or just make it worse @PaulL as I don’t have joint pain at all, and don’t care to get it :disappointed_relieved:

(Bob M) #5

I also wonder since we as keto folk tend to lower the amount of veggies we eat, if that alone helps many. For instance, of that list above, the only ones I eat (somewhat infrequently) are tomatoes and bell peppers (and hot peppers). These don’t seem to affect me, but I also don’t eat a lot of them.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

It’s a good question. It’s my understanding that the crystals themselves cause pain, and that would certainly aggravate pain caused by inflammation. Dr. Annette Bosworth advises patients on a ketogenic diet who experience what she calls “oxalate dumping” to tough it out, because eventually the crystals will get excreted and stop causing pain.

I never experienced oxalate dumping, so far as I know, but I do know that going on keto helped my knee pain and the arthritis in my hands and other joints. I’m sure losing 80 lbs./36 kg helped the knees a lot, but there was clearly also some inflammatory process causing the arthritis. If there was also oxalate pain as well, it was mild and went away at the same time as the rest.

I’m sure it does.

Ditto.

Well I’m on a keto diet and I still eat large fresh salads and steamed vegetables, excluding such things as spinach, potatoes, sweet potatoes and beets.

I’d like to know if the nightshades I mentioned initially are worsening the inflammation I experience in various joints throughout my body.

Some studies say hot peppers (I like jalapeno) are good some say not good for joint pain and inflammation

(Bob M) #8

The best test is eliminate anything you think might affect this for a while, then slowly add them in one by one.

I’ve done this multiple times with “dairy”, eliminating it for a while, then adding it back in. And that’s how I’m fairly well convinced I don’t have issues with dairy. Or at least none I can determine.

(Denise) #9

That actually reminded me of the little aches and pains I used to have, and was even diagnosed with “a bit” of arthritis, especially in hands. That’s all gone now glad to say.

(Wendy) #10

Ck out Sally Norton on uTube!!

Thank you Wendysue1960 I will check her videos.

For a solid year I’ve been suffering with shoulder pain first on the right shoulder now on both shoulders. Pain is worse at night trying to lift my arms or find a sleeping position that doesn’t cause me to ache. Ortho Dr diagnosed via xray calcific tendonitis when it first appeared last year on my right shoulder with no arthritis evident. I’m sure there’s more going on than just that.

Keto diet this past almost two months now has helped alot to diminish the pain. But I still ache at night and can’t find a comfortable sleeping position. Daytime pain is tolerable

I still like large salads every day and steamed veggies along with a keto diet.

In your opinion, what foods should I avoid and what foods are recommended to diminish this pain?

Thank you

(Wendy) #12

For me personally. My CRP # was a 12! I have always had super high inflammation. So I transitioned to a Carnivore or Proper human diet. My PCP is very interested in my next blood work up. He always said that Vegetables didn’t like me. For I suffered from diverticulitis,and colitis. I do feel much better!! Even with the injury I had in January. So for me. It’s strictly Beef,Butter,Eggs and water. And Wild caught Salmon. On an occasion. I actually discontinued even my morning coffee. Funny thing is I don’t miss anything anymore. Sally K Norton,has some excellent videos on uTube. She is very knowledgeable.
But everyone is different. For me this works!! :slight_smile:

If that works for you that’s great. I personally do well including salads and steamed vegetables on my keto diet But certain vegetables may or may not be giving me or aggravating inflammation. It’s a recent thing for me, shoulder pain as I said only a little more than a year. I need to know if certain vegetables are adding to or perhaps causing that and avoid them. I avoid those foods high in oxalates. I now see that green peppers are high on oxalates. However it’s not certain that high oxalate foods such as green peppers cause inflammation. They can cause calcium oxalate stones or kidney stones. I’m not sure calcific tendonitis is in the same category as kidney stones which Ive never had.

BTW what’s a CRP ?

(Wendy) #14

CRP is a high sensitivity C reactive protein or measures low grade inflammation. Usually associated with an increased risk of a heart attack/ disease. I think the Sally K Norton videos will give you some insite, maybe where to start??

A trial of avoiding all kinds of peppers and tomatoes is a good place to start I’ll take that advice

(Megan) #16

Can only give you my experience but prior to going keto, then quickly moving to carnivore, I’ve gone from hardly being able to walk some days due to arthritis in my knees to an 80% reduction in pain and swelling and no longer needing to be on the waiting list for a knee transplant. Changed my woe late May this year and the pain reduction was almost immediate (I never ate the veg you listed while on keto tho, just cabbage, broc, cauli)

(Megan) #17

My CRP has dropped from 12 to 3 very quickly on carnivore. Hope yours drops too!

(Wendy) #18

That’s what I’m hoping for!! You give me hope!! Thank you!!!

That is great news! I feel much better on keto as well

My knees bother me from time to time and also my right hip but nothing compared to the shoulder(s). If not for the shoulders I would NOT complain.

You don’t eat any salad vegetables at all ever?

Can I ask how old you are? I just turned 69 the 24th of September

Can you tell me the range of CRP, LOW MED HIGH? What is normal, what do the numbers indicate? Thanks