Newbie! trying not to tie myself in knots about getting keto perfect

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #61

To fix the keto calculator, you would have to talk to the folks who run that Web site.

(Ivy) #62

What about the forum’s about section for keto saying moderate protein? Coldnt that specofy further whats stated about protein here? -wouldve helped me as a keto beginner

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #63

“Moderate protein” is defined as 1.0-1.5 g of protein per kg of lean body mass per day. This recommendation is all over these forums, and is sort of Richard’s “official” recommendation.

Dr. Phinney’s recommendation is similar, and other experts specify protein in this range, as well, though admittedly there are other experts who recommend a somewhat higher amount.

When calculating, remember that meats are generally around 25% protein, or roughly 7 g of protein per ounce. So if you want to get 100 g of protein, you need 400 g of meat. (I mention this for the sake of newcomers who might be reading this thread.)

(Jane) #64

At 5’ 2” I figure my lean mass is around 112 lbs or 51 kg.

1-1.5g/kg is 50-75 g protein per day.

Using chronometer and ground beef as my measure that would be about 8-12 oz of ground beef. If I am doing TMAD that would be 4-6 oz beef each meal. Definitely moderate in my book!

(Ivy) #65

I have 6.7 oz each meal. Was setting up my kitchen’s tallow and lard buckets in front of the post on the wall for that-- gotta remember

Does anyone think taking bromelain powder would help me? They’re not capsules, but I looked up the benefits and know I can take these doses: 1/4 Tbsp 1.75 C and 2.5 g sugar, or 1/2 Tbsp for which is twice that.

(Allie) #66

Protein increases hunger

Not for me it doesn’t.

(Ivy) #67

What’s the effect of coffee?

(Ivy) #68

I do have a glucose meter. Are you saying I should use this?

(Ivy) #69

I’m aware that I’m not overweight

(Ivy) #70

Eating alkaline increases the body’s pH, for which improves your health.

I’m not looking for a hard-fast answer, I’m just doing research. I’m careful in my decision making.

(Jane) #71

No, I never mentioned a glucose meter and see no reason for you to test your glucose with no current health issues.

(Jane) #72

I am a chemical engineer so I know what alkaline is LOL. Just not sure how that improves your health. The pH of your stomach acid is between 1.5 and 3.5.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #73

@IvyKCKO Despite the title of this topic, you are very much tying yourself into knots. Needlessly. Calm down. You don’t have to achieve perfection to benefit. And ‘imperfection’ will decrease over time as you gain experience and knowledge of what works for you and what doesn’t. Stop agonizing over every little thing and just do it. :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

Eat sub-20 grams of carbs per day, the fewer the better. If you’re in this for overall health and not specifically to lose weight you’re golden! Experiment! Have fun! You’re not going to die.

(Ivy) #74

Already ate. I’m not going to again. Sorry, I’m not feeling what you are feeling. I’m sitting at work doing nothing, happy and calm.

(Ivy) #75

Becoming Fat Adapted has to do with around 2000 kcals a day?
or if im satiated at my BMR (1397 or thereabouts), thats right on?

Im confusing myself.

(Eric) #76

Being fat adapted has to do with keeping your carbs at 20g or less per day and doing so for approx. 6-8 weeks or longer. How long depends on individual variability and how well you do at keeping your carbs low. To my knowledge, eating a set amount of calories had little to nothing to do with becoming fat adapted.

What many of the responses you are getting are trying to tell you, is not to focus on a specific calorie number. Keto and becoming fat adapted is not about reducing calories or deprivation. It is about keeping your carbs low, having a moderate amount of protein and filling in with fat. To my knowledge there is little you can do to accelerate becoming fat adapted other than time and keeping your carbs 20g or less. Many people on these forums can attest to eating to satiety which is often not considered low calorie and still burned fat/lost weight. It may seem counter-intuitive but it works for a lot of people. I may track my calories and macros daily but for me it is to help me make conscious choices around what I eat, not a hard calorie cap. Some days I skip meals and eat under my so-called maintenance calorie amount and others I hit or exceed that. As you become fat adapted you will find it easier to have more time between meals and adding in fasting if that is your thing.

For me that happened around 6 weeks. I also noticed that my ketone numbers that had been really high for most of those 6 weeks, started dropping down to a number between .5 and 1 on my keto-mojo. At this point I very rarely test as I know I am in ketosis because I track my carbs every day. I worried a lot more about exact ratios in the beginning and find I am more flexible now on my fat/protein ratio and I am still getting results I am happy with. The one constant is keeping the carbs low. Hope this helps

(Ivy) #77

What about preventing muscle loss, which is what Im aiming to do?

(Butter Withaspoon) #78

In case you’d forgotten this answer I’ve copied it again for you. You probably can’t get a clearer answer to decide protein levels. In case it’s not obvious, preventing muscle loss is a goal here. Keto diets are not about losing muscle mass!
You’re welcome!

(Allie) #79

Says who? There’s no actual science backing this up, not that I’ve ever seen. It’s touted as fact in some circles but with nothing to back it up, it’s just another story that you’ll be adding to the knots you’re tying yourself up with. Seriously, just relax.

(Allie) #80

NOTHING to do with calorie intake and everything to do with keeping carbs and stress as low as possible.