Newbie keto eating diary (advice welcome)

(mags) #21

I was just wondering how you are getting 3 1/2 grams of carbs from meat. What meat are you eating?

you are right, the yogurt contains 4% carbs. so with about 200gr of yogurt i have to add 8gr carbs to yesterdays total.
i didn’t know that, i thought carbs are mainly in solid stuff like grains and some vegetables, etc.

i still had it in my freezer.
its biological, 71% pig, 17% beef/cow and some other stuff.
on the package it mentions:
fat 22%
carbs 3.5%

Its 100gram so gives me 3.5gr carbs.

in dutch its called ‘slavink’

Does anybody have a simple recipe for (low carb) pancakes?

i think it was in that netflix documentary ‘the magic pill’ i saw that guy make them out of pumpkin but i was not successful copying that. (it ended up in a 4mm layer of pumpkin soup :wink:

(Allie) #25

Eggs and cream cheese

One egg to once ounce of cream cheese, blend and add sweetener and / or cinnamon / vanilla / whatever if you want to

(mags) #26

I add psyllium husk sometimes to give it more substance

(mags) #27

Maybe check out what the ‘some other stuff’ is. If you eat real meat that hasn’t been processed there shouldn’t be any carbs.

Breakfast today: Yogurt + some nuts + flakseedoil 10gr carbs
Lunch: 2 eggs + cheese + bacon 1gr carbs
Diner (plan): meet + 200gr vegi + cheese 8gr carbs

regarding food, last 2 days have been more or less the same.
I haven’t had the time to test the pancakes yet, but thanks for the tips! hopefully this weekend…

if i look back now at my first 12 or so days of low carb diet I notice more headaches also i can’t say that i’m mentally more alert, more the opposite a bit foggy in the head and making silly mistakes.
i assume that would be the so called keto flue but wouldn’t that be over in 7 days (?).

I do seem to have more constant=equal energy, not more than before, but less peaks/valleys.
Those keto urine sticks, (to see if you are in keto or burning carbs) do they work ok or waste of money?

oh and i heard somebody mention he used keto diet for 6 days and the 7th he just ate what he liked. would that work or do you keep the headaches than every week?

And what is your biggest indicator/phylical feeling/etc so you know your in keto vs carbs?

Honestly, longer-term, a waste of money. They don’t really measure what you think they’re measuring and once you’re fat adapted and actually using up a lot of ketones in your body the strips might make it seem like you’re not producing a lot of ketones (when in fact you are, you’re just using them all up).

Better to just focus on eating well, looking after your health, and focusing on getting your body used to using fat as an energy source and not caring about calories etc. Getting sufficient electrolytes via good quality salt.

That being said, if you already have some, or would like to use some in the short-term, as long as it makes you feel good then no harm. Just don’t get worried if the strips start to indicate something “bad” when in actual fact you feel great, energetic, and you’ve been making progress to whatever goals you have. It’s an unnecessary and inaccurate distraction.

(mags) #31

[quote=“bjorn, post:29, topic:67538”]
oh and i heard somebody mention he used keto diet for 6 days and the 7th he just ate what he liked. would that work or do you keep the headaches than every week?

NO! That would be worse possible option. You would just be extending your adaption to being a fat burner. You can read all sorts of stuff on the Internet. Stick to the really good advice you will get on this forum.

(Teri) #32

I started using the Total Keto Diet app. It allows you to set your own macros or have them calculate them for you. You can choose to go by total or net carbs. You can search a database of foods or add your own. It works pretty well I think because the interface is simple but has everything you need to track your macros.
I’ve added a couple of screenshots for you to see which app it is and how it looks.